Just Say No

Bison52

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ct_5fGhqjSs[/video]

Went out to a friends house to get in some Sunday flying. My friend was dying to try it and I finally let him take the sticks "just for a minute.". How bad could it be? I'm just learning and I've crashed bunches. Just had to replace some props and I stocked up. Well, another lesson learned. Johnny felt terrible and insists on paying for all damages but was kind of an ouch.

Tahoe Ed

It's not that bad. I have done worse and I am sure you will as well. Stuff happens. With the cost of DJI equipment coming down, you will be up and flying in no time.

Bison52

Yeah, it was no big deal. I felt worse for Johnny than anything else. He's one of the nicest guys I know and he felt terrible.

I was gonna tear down the bird next week anyway and redo some stuff, add LED lights so it was gonna be down and apart anyway.

I've got a Blade Mqx that is being sent to me on a cancelled back order. I think instead of returning it I will keep it to practice with and when somebody wants to try flying, I can hand it to them.

mitsaras

I let a friend try my 2 day old mQX. Of course he forgot my instruction to not worry about crashing & just cut the throttle - and rather than slamming into the wall, he caught it in his hand. I had to explain that my horrified expression was not about the crumpled canopy, but because had it been anything bigger than the mQX, his fingers would be minced meat...

kloner

Aerial DP
that was hot..... not only shut it down and took it to the dirt, then wide open to get it up there for a crash test, ouch

something was rattling, if wasn't the camera in the case might have been a bearing looking for love. probably more than one now. spin them and hold underneath on the leg and feel for differences between em. they should be felt at all, but a little isn't bad, a noticeable feeling is gonna getcha sooner than later in recording performance then flight performance

Bison52

I've noticed that noise too but I'm pretty sure it was the camera mount.

Last week I replaced a motor that was acting up. The bird was flying erratically and one motor seemed hotter than the others. I replaced it and everything was fine.

Does anybody know where to get replacement bearing for the DJI 2212? I'd Like to try that before just trashing a motor.

Mike

kloner

Aerial DP
bocabearing has all kinds that fit

heat is usually from a prop killing a bearing or a crash breaking/scaring a race if it's just one

it has that camera vibrating in the case sound.... might stick some foam in the case.... mines got foam glued over both mics and it makes it tight in the case. It's nice to know about a problem before it's a problem

Bison52

Thanks Kloner, I'll work on it. Actually I am surprised that the few videos I've shot don't have more vibration. I just stuck the GoPro on there with a regular base mount and used an extension to raise it up so less of the props would be in the frame. Totally unbalanced props, I was surprised at the relative quality.

What are the specs/part num for DJI bearings? I looked at Boca but was totally lost.

Mike

kloner

Aerial DP
mailman knows, mine are different and have a different size bearing. the problem he hit with 2212 was the shafts were in with adhesive so it it's also a shaft, your done and you can't set preload on the bearings because of that, make sure there pressed in right and all the way

KellyR

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ct_5fGhqjSs[/video]

Went out to a friends house to get in some Sunday flying. My friend was dying to try it and I finally let him take the sticks "just for a minute.". How bad could it be? I'm just learning and I've crashed bunches. Just had to replace some props and I stocked up. Well, another lesson learned. Johnny felt terrible and insists on paying for all damages but was kind of an ouch.

LOL I laugh only because I know how your friend feels. When I was a teen my best friend bought a motorcycle & let me try it. A few minutes later he peeled me off of the hood of my own parked car (no helmet). My front bumper looked V shaped with the bike still wedged in, running, & the handle bars pointing straight forward from my legs bending them as I flew over. When he ran over to me he said my first words were "I have $400 dollars in the bank, it's yours!" I was in so much pain, but I felt worse about ruining his bike. :(

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
In general borrowing a heli is just asking for trouble.

There are a select few people that I will hand the controller to without questions, most of them are far better pilots than I am and one owns the LHS so if he wants to crash it I know it will get fixed or replaced! ;)

Ken

mailman35

yeah i let a friend try to fly my quad, he was doing alright until i guess he lost orientation and it fell to the ground, thankfully it was only 3-4ft up and nothing broke. last time i make that mistake. :O

Bison52

Actually I think the motors weren't spinning because he pulled the throttle below 10% when it shot up into the air. I don't blame him for that. There was a small pond downwind from where we were flying and he'd seen me being very cautious not to get anywhere near the water. I had told him that I could probably fix anything but a dunking.

The wind was blowing 10 - 12 knots, which qualifies as a calm day for West Texas.