Gimbal servo voltage reg

Kilby

As long as I've been flying these crazy birds, I've always used 3s batteries. This week I wanted to give a 4s a go. The second I plugged it in, both of my gimbal servos were nuked. Does the DJI not regulate the power that goes out to the gimbal servos?

I've since picked up a Castle BEC and will put that in when I get new servos, but I just figured I would ask about this in the mean time.

Bowley

As long as I've been flying these crazy birds, I've always used 3s batteries. This week I wanted to give a 4s a go. The second I plugged it in, both of my gimbal servos were nuked. Does the DJI not regulate the power that goes out to the gimbal servos?

I've since picked up a Castle BEC and will put that in when I get new servos, but I just figured I would ask about this in the mean time.

I presumed the VU on my Naza would supply gimbal servos but it does say in the manual, probably same for WKM, that a BEC is required for them.

Kilby

I was always under the impression that it needed a BEC due to the increased amperage though, not the lack of voltage regulation. I had just picked up a BEC to use, but I tried the 4s out first and now I have to buy 2 new servos. :apathy:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I was always under the impression that it needed a BEC due to the increased amperage though, not the lack of voltage regulation. I had just picked up a BEC to use, but I tried the 4s out first and now I have to buy 2 new servos. :apathy:

Something isn't right there, on both Naza I have I've used gimbals getting power from the controller with 4S packs and never had a problem with a fried servo. I'm now running all my gimbal power off CC BECs but never had an issue when I wasn't other than the compensation being slow due to lower voltage. If there's too much power coming through I would think it would have toasted the RX as well since it's the same power feed, you may want get a multimeter and check the voltages on the connections with a 3S and 4S to see what's going on.

Ken

plingboot

is it better to have a bec for each servo or run both off one bec?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

Something isn't right there, on both Naza I have I've used gimbals getting power from the controller with 4S packs and never had a problem with a fried servo. I'm now running all my gimbal power off CC BECs but never had an issue when I wasn't other than the compensation being slow due to lower voltage. If there's too much power coming through I would think it would have toasted the RX as well since it's the same power feed, you may want get a multimeter and check the voltages on the connections with a 3S and 4S to see what's going on.

Ken

I plan to do exactly that when I have a little down time next weekend, Ken. Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.

DennyR

The gimbal servos should not be powered from the Controller. Only the signal and ground wire should go to the controller. The servo power should be from a BEC or separate lipo if your running 7.4 v servos. Otherwise if a servo gets jammed or overloaded your model will crash.

Kilby

I know that, and actually was only using 1 servo for a while, so I wasn't that worried about it. The point I was trying to make is that the power that does come out of the controller wasn't being regulated to the proper voltage, not matter if I was supposed to be using it or not.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
I know that, and actually was only using 1 servo for a while, so I wasn't that worried about it. The point I was trying to make is that the power that does come out of the controller wasn't being regulated to the proper voltage, not matter if I was supposed to be using it or not.

Check the voltage coming out of the PMU (going into MC). See if its being properly regulated down.

mailman35

hey guys im getting ready to put in a gimbal system, i have a cc bec, as well as 2 servo's is there a cable to buy for the servo connections, to the bec and FC?
or is it something i need to make?

plingboot

I DIY'd mine.

Hansen Hobbies is a great resource for good quality tools and component parts for all kinds of connectors - nice folks to deal with too.

Their servo connector crimp tool makes this kind of thing a breeze.

Get stocked-up and you'll be sorted.

jforkner

"... but it does say in the manual, probably same for WKM, that a BEC is required for them."

Can you please point me to that statement? All I find is, "We recommend the use of external switching type BEC of 5A or higher for all AP work..." Not sure what that means.

Thanks.

Jack

mailman35

yeah i saw that, i just think i need to see how the harness looks so i can build it out.

i just seem to be a bit dumber when it comes to some of this stuff :O

Last edited by a moderator: