Mikrokopter HELP! mk compass calibration issue

poboy

pope
After i calibrate the compass on the nc, the red LED goes out like it should. Then the next time i turn the bird on, red LED and compass error again. This is first installation of nc/mag and gps boards to a cs8 i been flying for couple of months. Thank you for your input.

David

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Anyone? Bueller? Buellar?

Have you had successful flights before with the Nav board?

There are some issues with a batch of nav boards.. if you look on the english MK forum there is a admission from Holgar that some nav boards have a poblem..

Dave

poboy

pope
No i have not flown with nav board. It is new. Thanks for the info droider. That particular forum is very hard to read as the translations are so poor. I'll give it another go, though. I expect that a normal nc would only need compass calibration one time, then should be okay (no red LED) on subsequent startups. Btw, it reads as a error #6- bad compass value.
Thanks again

David

ghaynes

So if you have a wireless setup for MKtools this will be an easy thing to check. (no wireless take your laptop with you outside). Setup everything, power up the kopter and MKtools. Once you have a connection click on the left red arrow on what I would call the data block. You should be on screen 17 (upper right). Look to see what the values are that are being shown. View attachment 3337

The Field:XXX(Value) needs to be pretty close to 100+. The Inclination xx(xx) can't be more than a 3 degree spread. Any of the these conditions will cause errors (Mag Compass, No FC).

The compass is pretty sensitive. So sensitive that it was driving me crazy. I did multiple re-calibrations. Turns out that if I tried to take off from the driveway there is to much iron in the concrete (steel mesh) and the values are to low or the spread is to great. Same problem at other spots in my yard. So now after I initialize I use the MK screens on my MX20 to check the values. If they aren't within tolerance I move the CS a few feet and repeat. That usually gets me flying.

Check out the wiki at http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/MagnetError?highlight=(compass)|(calibration).

I did also find that by moving my Xbee to a different location on the CS8 frame that i picked up about 5 points of Field percentage. Mind is now mounted between booms 4 and 5.

Gary

CS8, FC,Navi,Smart-OSD

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-17 at 9.08.41 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-03-17 at 9.08.41 PM.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 254
Last edited by a moderator:

poboy

pope
Hey Gary. Thanks for the help. I don't have an xbee. Mkusb connected to nav debug. The values in screen 17 of koptertools shows normal values.
ie; field:111, declination: 0.7, inclination; 0. Of course this is all with red LED still on. On screen 16, (magnetic field) , x is around 172; y is about 85, and z reads minus 535. Green lights on fc, bl ctrl and navi ctrl.

David

Last edited by a moderator: