Another Oktokopter inflight motor failure video with happy landing!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I clipped the video to just the motor failure but the flight control handled it while in GPS position hold. I yawed the heli away from me, flipped off the GPS and landed in the grass.
The fail happens at :20 into the short video. Had witnesses that were wondering what just happened as I was ecstatic to survive a major component failure without much fuss.
I believe I have a motor controller (BL) with an intermittent channel failure as the prop on that motor was vibrating back and forth but not turning. Back on the ground the motor started spinning again.

I was flying one of my XY-8 heli's at the time with a fellow forums member watching the flight in the goggles. Electronics are all Mikrokopter.

Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

It's for this exact same reason why I bought an octo, well done Bart the MR Gods must like you mate ;)

Ross

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
yesterday the two choices were the park or the BMW dealer to video their enormous flag battering in the wind. it's nice to know that, had I been at the dealership, i wouldn't be paying for repairs to new BMW's this morning and would have landed safely in the parking lot!

Tomstoy2

Nice going Bart!

I suffered something similar with my Hexa last weekend.
Was flying fine for about 4 minutes, then started pulling left hard. As I was getting to the end of the field and almost over a road, I chopped the throttle to drop her and then about 10 feet off the ground applied full throttle to minimize impact.
Thinking back on it, I should have reversed direction 180 and let it drift back to me, but I was in full brain freeze by then.
Motor #3 quit working.