Improving tilt resolution on camera gimbal

hexacop

HexaCop
Got some nice weather in Munich today so I made another test video, let me know your feedback.
Don'T pay too much attention on the vibrations from the Gopro camera, I mounted it quick and dirty to monitor the GH2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Really impressive Hexacop!
You have reached the level I´m looking for. I have shared my struggle with my gimbal in the picloc experience thread, and just getting more frustrated.
However, I also have my doubts concerning the pots on my Cinestar SLR mount..
What do you think about changing to the type you´r using?

I have also considered removing the pots, and mount the Picloc on the stand and set up for "non proportional" 360 servos. In that case you would get away totally from the pot resolution problem..

//Lars

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
hexacop
very nice results! would you mind posting just the video from the onboard camera?
Are you attributing the video quality mostly to the geared multi-turn potentiometer or have you made other tweaks to get to where you're at?
Well done!
Bart

Macsgrafs

Hexacop, that's got to be some of the smoothest if not the smoothest video I've seen from a MR aircraft, that's totally impressed both myself & my Mrs. Nice filming.
So care to run us through what mount it is & exactly what you have done to get this far, more for me to get things straight in my mind.
Hope we are going to see far more of your video work!

Ross

hexacop

HexaCop
If you follow some om my videos you can see what I have modified over time ...
I was improving a real cheap camera mount over and over, I have rebuild it probably >10 times.
I don't think I will tell you any new secret, the full system has to be optimized.
It starts with motors, props, balancing, parameters, camera gimbal, testing, go back and start over again and next day it may get better or even worse.
I still have to tune some gyro parameters as the copter reacts to heavy even wind, as long I leave him alone and just fly with the wind the result is much better.
You may try if this suggestion will improve your camera mount, definitely I see an improvement and now I will sit down and draw my own camera gimbal with this solution in mind.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
hexacop, that's virtually identical to the path I've taken as well. I started with an averticalview mount, then modified it until it couldn't be modified anymore, then drew my own, and tomorrow i'll be in the shop assembling revision #5. I've got a big box of old revisions and modified parts in the basement. Prepare yourself for a lot of late nights and early mornings!
Good luck with it!
Bart

holco

hexacop,

Do you have a link for the gears that you use on the servo and pot, and what is the gear ratio?

alexoki

Excellent work hexacop. This looks promising and I can't wait to modify my av200 mount. Only tricky part for me will be finding a good way to mount the new poti without having to do too much drilling! If you have a link to the extra gears that you are using as Holco asked that would be great. Just one further question-would it be possible for me to remove the existing tilt poti on my av200 and just simply replace it with a larger poti or do I need to mount it similar to your modification? Thanks and keep up the good work.

hexacop

HexaCop
Hi Holco and Alexoki,
yes the gears are the difficult part ...
I used what I found in my shelf and modified them to fit.
Check how many degree your servo is turning when you move the camera plate from min to max position.
Let's assume the servo rotates a full 360° turn. If you use a 3 turn poti with 1080° then you need a gear ratio of 3:1.
You will hardly find a pinion to fit the 1/4' axis of the potentiometer.
This was just an idea and I'm sure there are many ways to achieve a similar solution. My next one will be different ;-)
I don't own a shop, I don't build and sell anything, I just having fun my my hobby ;-)
But I may ask my friend if I can modify his AV200:02.47-tranquillity:

hexacop

HexaCop
I've published a new video: Eisbach Munich - River Surfing

Have fun :tennis:

Macsgrafs

Brilliant filming, it really shows a good use for a MR aircraft. Seems the people like it as well ;)

Ross

hexacop

HexaCop
It took a while to design a new camera gimbal and implement the ideas I had a while ago.
Finally the UAVG-300 gimbal is ready and can be ordered from copter4you.de

See some video footage below:
the gimbal is controlled by the Mikrokopter FC!

Flight video with GH2, the gimbal is controlled by the Mikrokopter FC!

Flight video with CX730, the gimbal is controlled by the RSGS