Hard Mounting GoPro / Point and shoot camera to F450

Dune

Hey guys, quick question. Just got my F450 in the mail and want to mount a Canon Powershot ELPH 100 to it.

When people mount GoPros directly to the frame, how do they do it? Are there screws in the GoPro/GoPro mount that are spaced to fit in the f450 frame? If you were to mount a Powershot to the frame, how would you go about it?

I have some ideas for how I could make a little adapter that would sit between the camera and the frame. I could mill out aluminum or wood so there would be a pocket for a tripod screw to go in the bottom, and fix the camera to the adapter that way. Then I could drill some holes spaced for the slots and bolt the adapter to the frame. Does this seem like the best way to do it?

I see mention of vibration mounts here and there, but I'm not really sure what people are talking about. Maybe I would just put some rubber or foam tape in between the camera and the adapter.

Thanks!

AIRCONROB

Attachments

• 2012-01-31 08.29.46.jpg
    2012-01-31 08.29.46.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 403

Dune

Thanks Rob.

I just looked through my kit a little more closely and found the bag with the velcro straps. D'oh.

Since my camera's battery and memory card are removed through a door on the bottom, I can't affix a piece of velco along it. I'll probably end up cutting a small piece of wood to a rectangle roughly equal to the footprint of a camera, milling out a pocket for a tripod screw, and then attaching velcro to either side of that. It's awkward trying to wrap a strap around the camera because it's taller, wider, and thinner than a gopro and doesn't fit on the pcb ledge that well. I may end up sticking or even gluing pieces of velcro higher up on the camera and wrapping those around to the bottom of the pcb.

jforkner

Mine is attached the same as Rob's and I get enough vibration to cause the unwanted "jello effect." In addition, the props remain in the field of view, which I'd like to eliminate.

I used one of the GoPro flat adhesive mounts attached to one of the tabs on the Flame Wheel's bottom plate. Problem is the tab is somewhat flexible, and is especially noticeable with the camera attached. I have balanced and re-balanced my props, but can't eliminate the jello. I've toyed with trying to stiffen the bottom plate's tab---perhaps by bolting an angle-bracket to the bottom---but haven't done so yet. So I'm waiting on one the the pending under-slung camera mounts for the frame to be tested and become available---one of them appears to be the better solution.

Jack

Dune

My camera is about 194 g, compared to the 94 g GoPro (no case), so that vibration might be considerably worse. Shoot. I've heard talk about those mounts and I too am interested to see what happens.

I wonder if anyone has tried gluing little balsa/aluminum/plastic struts along the bottom length of the PCB, to increase rigidity. Intuitively I feel like this is a bad idea, but I can't think of why. I guess if I actually glued anything down there, it would make it hard for me to mount anything on the underside later.

kloner

Aerial DP
one thing i've found with cameras on this thing is get them mounted to something that has alot of intersecting structure like a leg. I've also hard mounted mine and it's filming as good as one would expect. That flap will let the camera shake just touching the camera, when you get it back in here, theres zero shake flicking the camera. That one slot cut by the bigger dog ears just seems to let that flap on the frame wiggle like jello itself

View attachment 2492View attachment 2493

Attachments

• 026 (1280x960).jpg
    026 (1280x960).jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 364
  • 024 (1280x960).jpg
    024 (1280x960).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 341