Hello from Utah...

tstrike

pendejo grande
I originally joined the site to be able to view some pictures of a quad build, but after seeing all the help those with experience are willing to give, I've been lurking steadily for the past week or two (time flies when trying to absorb this craziness). My only legitimate rc experience is with my garage door opener ( Chamberlin Whisper drive, AWSOME machine) and I've committed to becoming a quadrocopter pilotist or whatever y'all call yourselves.
I have 30 years of camera rigging, dollie gripping, and lighting experience in the film industry. I've seen the cameras go from weighing in at 150 lbs (old imax/iworks) to the current crop of large sensor dslr's and camcorders weighing less than a couple pieces of speedrail. It's this reason I see the electric quadcopter as a viable tool in the industry.
To begin my journey toward YouTube greatness, I purchased a trex100 kit (mostly to get a usable controller for Heli X), the poor little thing has taken all the abuse I've thrown at it but sadly, there is more tape on it than paint and it's time to move on to the next level.
So before I hit the Send Payment button on the Cinestar 8 package I have up on another page, a voice in my head (I have lots of'm) said "tstrike, you can't open a box of cereal without breaking it, start smaller fool". I'm now looking at picking up the DJI naza F450 kit, a couple of extra booms and a big bag load of props. The Tx unit is where I'm getting stuck, do I go sub 200 usd and hope I can use it on my next rig or double the budget plus some and go for something that will allow further expansion (camera mount w/roll tilt pan all while having a servo dropping small chocolates on cheering children below).
Any suggestions are more than welcome and I truly appreciate all the shared knowledge from those that have walked before me-
cheers,
tstrike

tstrike

pendejo grande
I don't know, do you need it broken or just a quick defixxed? I'm in salt lake but I know absolutely nothing about the AD8 cept it's spensive.
What's the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

Finally tstrike is starting a thread......great :tennis:

Rearding your posts so far on this forum always made me think....mhhhh, what kind of guy is behind the "bad combover" avatar.....I was always guessing on a middle aged gentleman from the UK living in Amerika....your sense of humor is very British, which I feel a lot of sympathy for...

Regading your specific problems giving you mental turmoil:

Receiver/Transmitter: In your case I would go for something like the Futaba T8FG Super: http://www.futaba-rc.com/systems/futk8010.html
Just in the standard configuration you get the most reliable connection, longest range and 12+2 channels, which should cater for most of your needs (including dropping chocolate or even smart bombs...) It's widely used (ask Dr. Kloner) and a lot of support is avalible. S-Bus capability is another big advantage....and the price, altought not the cheapest on the market, is more than OK.

Spaceship: When I started with RC Single Rotor helis many years ago, a lot of people convinced me to start small, which I did with a 450size heli....what a mistake. This thing behaved like a Mexican moscito after an overdose of Tabasco...always nervous, impossible to tune and I spent 3x more money on spare parts than the original value of the heli. After this I fell in love with a 750size heli, and once it was assembled and ready for 1st take-off I needed a new set of underwear....because this boy was big. Once it was in the air, I was surprised how easy it was to fly. Out of the box it was already flyable, and fine tuning (after I found out what I actually wanted to tune) was a breeze. To me it is a big misconseption that small things are easier to fly than bigger ones...it just helps you to overcome the psychological barrier to move the throttle stick and lift that damn thing.
If you want to switch to a F450 you should rather look at the F550...not much more money, but can lift a bit more and is a bit more stable. You must just be aware about the camera limitations....a GoPro (I can't see GoPro vids anymore...) is easy to fit on both birds, but if you want to use a bigger Cam, it gets a bit complicated.

If I would be your brother or best friend, I would tell you not to look at the Cinestar 8, but on the Cinestar 6. It's cheaper, it's capable of lifting all sorts of cameras (maybe not a Red Epic) and a lot of gimbals avalible.

Another very interesting option would be one of the new Droidworx frames......The XM-6 would be my choice. It's foldable and lifting capacity wise can compete with the Cinestar 6. Within the next weeks they will also have a retractable landing gear avalible.
http://droidworx.co.nz/products/showroom/xm-series/

This is just my personal view, and hopefully you get a few other opinions here as well, but whatever your choice will be....we will help you and get you out of the jungle, make you a happy chocolate bombing fella

Chris

New Copter

Utah, wonderful place to ski!
I still remember some downhill skiing at Alta and Snowbird.

Now near Barcelona (Spain) we are at 24 celsius degrees.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Utah, wonderful place to ski!
I still remember some downhill skiing at Alta and Snowbird.

Now near Barcelona (Spain) we are at 24 celsius degrees.
I'm only like 20 minutes down the hill from the bird and alta, I'm also like 20 minutes to Brighton and Solitude. Want to ski or board Park city?, only 20 minutes. In fact, when the mormons settled the salt lake valley, Brigham decreed nothing must be over 20 minutes of travel in a Tundra crew cab, it worked out quite well.

Chris, thanks for the help but it's the OP who found my first intro post and is looking for help with a AD8, not I. I've long given up my dream of dropping chocolates on cheering children since my quads are more the "air to ground adapter" type ships. For the record, the CS6 is my all time favorite MR, something about that bird gives me wood.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Thanks! Looking forward to learning from some of the more experienced pilots here, seems like a nice helpful place!

kloner

Aerial DP
hahaha

bad combover, WTF you nitwit, that's a beanie. What are you from austria,,,,,, oh wait. hahaha

this place cracks me up

tstrike

pendejo grande

Attachments

• combover.jpg
    combover.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 168

ChrisViperM

I know it's a beanie......does watching this vid ring a bell.....hahahaha:

Chris

New Copter

I'm only like 20 minutes down the hill from the bird and alta, I'm also like 20 minutes to Brighton and Solitude. Want to ski or board Park city?, only 20 minutes. In fact, when the mormons settled the salt lake valley, Brigham decreed nothing must be over 20 minutes of travel in a Tundra crew cab, it worked out quite well.

Me and some friends were doing a trip in the winter of 2011, we were in Deer Valley, Canyons, Alta, Snowbird, Park City and Solitude.
For me the place were you are living is almost the paradise.:cool:

Regards.