Props, props, and more props

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Xoar props arrived and they're mounted but I can't get outside between rain and wind. It sounds like RTRyder has his in place but suffered a mishap. Did you like the props Ken before the mishap?
I'm hoping to get outside tomorrow to finally test them out.
Bart

Well from the slightly more than 60 seconds of flight time I got on them before the MK went bonkers they seemed to be OK. One thing I noticed for certain is they're a LOT quieter than the Graupners, these have a kind of whispering sound where the Graupners sound like a swarm of angry bees.

They do survive minor mishaps quite well too! I can't find a mark on any of them though they will get a very close inspection with a magnifying glass before they fly again. Currently the Hexa is on the bench with no props on the motors for testing purposes, the flight logs show nothing unusual and everything checks out in MKtool, RX quality was between 189 and 200 for the duration of the flight so I know it wasn't loss of signal... ???...

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i spun mine a little in the office last night and they did seem quiet. will fly them asap.
bart

Bartman

Droider,
I did a special order from www.bobshobbycenter.com, the US Xoar distributor. We are flying the 10x5 PJA and PJA-P props and though I only got to fly for about eight minutes today, I definitely think I'm making more lift than the 10x5 Graupners. All in all, I'm pretty happy but we'll see how they hold up being wood.
Bart

Hi, I received yesterday a new batch of 13x6.5" XOAR precision pair.
As requested to XOAR they send me several size (13x7,13x5,14x4,14x6).
I met Mr fourdan at the beginning of this week, he's the creator of the scoprion calculator freeware and He's testing most of the brushless that comes on the market.
I asked him lots of advice about testing motors and prop and we will soon publish the test we will make with:
pulso 2814/22
MK3538
AXI2814/22
AHM motor
APC 12x3.8
XOAR prop 2 blades and 3 blades.

I want to find the best combo for heavy lift multirotors ;)

Bartman

what props?? if you can answer that question, you'll be my hero.
i put five flights on the new Xoar props yesterday and i think they're step above the same size graupners. it'll be interesting to see what you come up with.
bart

CopterCam

This Forum is attracting innovative and forward thinking individuals who are willing to share their findings and offer words of wisdom to newcomers. Glad I stumbled across this Forum, I can think of other forums where newcomers questions are treated with disdain. I have a good feeling about the future development of this Forum ?

Sid

jes1111

Hi, I received yesterday a new batch of 13x6.5" XOAR precision pair.
As requested to XOAR they send me several size (13x7,13x5,14x4,14x6).
I met Mr fourdan at the beginning of this week, he's the creator of the scoprion calculator freeware and He's testing most of the brushless that comes on the market.
I asked him lots of advice about testing motors and prop and we will soon publish the test we will make with:
pulso 2814/22
MK3538
AXI2814/22
AHM motor
APC 12x3.8
XOAR prop 2 blades and 3 blades.

I want to find the best combo for heavy lift multirotors ;)

Can't wait to see those results! My money is on 14x4 on top, 14x6 underneath - should be a good combo.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
This Forum is attracting innovative and forward thinking individuals who are willing to share their findings and offer words of wisdom to newcomers. Glad I stumbled across this Forum, I can think of other forums where newcomers questions are treated with disdain. I have a good feeling about the future development of this Forum ?

Sid

Aint it great... :):):)

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Tuesday I needed to get some still shots and since the stock Hexa hadn't fully recovered from an unintended landing event I used the Droidworx heavy lifter with my Canon SX 200 on the Pro Mini mount which is sort of like using a shotgun to kill a fly...;)

What I found when looking at the stills surprised and disappointed me, the majority were blurred from vibration which is something I've NEVER run into before when shooting stills from a multirotor. The culprit I believe to be the set of APC 12 x 3.8 props I recent put on, I was able to get great still shots when I had the Grauper 11 x 5 props on it but unfortunately Grauper doesn't yet make a 12 inch pusher prop and the 2814-22 motors on the Droidworx really need at least a 12 inch prop.

Pending the results of testing I'll be doing with the Xoar props on the stock Hexa I may consider using a properly sized set on the Droidworx though I hesitate a bit to use a wood prop on a multi with an RTF weight of over 8 pounds, or about 3.5 kilos for those of you in the metric regions of the world.

So rather than futz about for hours with a prop balancer trying to make the APC play nice I decided to take a bit of a gamble on a set of the 12 x 3.8 carbon fiber props from Simon Jardine in Australia, these are the same ones being sold by the MK shops in the US. No they're not cheap, but the total cost for a set of six is roughly comparable to what I used to pay for a set of 710mm C/F rotor blades for my gasser helis so I don't feel it's wasted $ if they do the job and are perfectly balanced as advertised.

I'll let everyone know how they work out.

Ken

jes1111

Ken, sounds to me like you hit a natural resonant frequency on something near the camera. I've long wondered about "active mass dampers" on the arms - some small weight clamped to the arm so it can be slid into a "tuned" position to "catch" the vibe. On the other hand, balanced props is probably easier ;-)

Just occured to me: you didn't have AIS switched on did you?

CopterCam

Ken, sounds to me like you hit a natural resonant frequency on something near the camera. I've long wondered about "active mass dampers" on the arms - some small weight clamped to the arm so it can be slid into a "tuned" position to "catch" the vibe. On the other hand, balanced props is probably easier ;-)

Just occured to me: you didn't have AIS switched on did you?

Kind of like a Wolf note on a Cello..........many quality Cellos over resonate on a particular note. usually f, f sharp or G. and it is most apparent on the G string. The fix is fit a suppressor on the G string after length(non playing side of the bridge) and tune out the offending wolf note by adjusting the position of the suppressor.

A quick fix is to crimp some light lead Fishing shot to the after length.......maybe this might work as active Mass Dampers ??

There see......I knew there was a reason for vain attempts at Cello:)

Emowillcox

I want to get some props over 12 inches probably like 14 inches can someone tell me where is a good place to order?

Stacky

Agree entirely, there is another forum where the childishness has got too boring.

Sid

Emowillcox

Hey Ken I was just wondering if you got to test those carbon props yet?
I'm still looking for a good source to get large props over 12 inches if anyone has suggestions?