DJI F550 Hexa Build with WKM

Yes, I've already done this on my F450. This setup weighs about 4-1/2 pounds (2.1kg...) has the stock DJI 920kV motors, two 4s-2600 packs and Graupner 11x5 props. I can fly for about 12 minutes and the motors are barely above ambient. I also had no problem lifting around 6 pounds with my XA hexa, which is the same size as the DJI F550 hex. Anyway, my F450 has a "robust" 2-axis gimbal, and a GoPro2 in the waterproof case.

-- Gary
Hi Gary. I'm interested to see you using Graupner props on the DJI motors. Do they fit right on without modification? I've had two spectacular crashes on my Naza F450, both times caused by DJI 10" props snapping during flight. All up weight during both flights was 1.4Kg. (GoPro 2, FPV gear).
Has anyone else had problems with DJI props breaking. I haven't had an 8" prop break yet.
Two crash videos here:
http://vimeo.com/34824884
http://vimeo.com/35922497

Look forward to some feedback.
Cheers
Paul :)

Tahoe Ed

Hey Paul, I have not had a 10" DJI prop fail. I have run one into a chain link fence and it just bent. I straightened it out and I am still using it. I also use Graupner 10" props. They sound a lot different. Quieter and what sound they do emmet are at a higher pitch. My experience is with the F450 frame using 3S lipos. Right now my WKM F450 is rock solid. i am using rather high basic gains, 200/200/200/200 160/160, that in the past did not work for me, but I started using them in winds of 20+mph and now with the new software they work in calm winds as well. I have the basic F450 with WKM, CC 10a BEC, and 900mhz Data Link with a 3S 2650mah Turnegy NanoTech Lipo.

Hey Paul, I have not had a 10" DJI prop fail. I have run one into a chain link fence and it just bent. I straightened it out and I am still using it. I also use Graupner 10" props. They sound a lot different. Quieter and what sound they do emmet are at a higher pitch. My experience is with the F450 frame using 3S lipos. Right now my WKM F450 is rock solid. i am using rather high basic gains, 200/200/200/200 160/160, that in the past did not work for me, but I started using them in winds of 20+mph and now with the new software they work in calm winds as well. I have the basic F450 with WKM, CC 10a BEC, and 900mhz Data Link with a 3S 2650mah Turnegy NanoTech Lipo.

So maybe I just got super unlucky to have two snap in the course of two weeks???
I'm using the NAZA FC on my F450 and with standard gains and 8" props it's just 100% fun to fly. Very, very stable.
But I want to add the GoPro and FPV gear, and the 8" props are struggling a little to lift the weight. I mean, it will fly, but you have to be careful descending because if you come down too fast, there's not enough lift in the 8" props to stop it hitting the ground.
I'm trying to get a set of Graupner props to test on the F450.

Tahoe Ed

I have flown my F450 with WKM, DataLink 900mHz 1W, GoPro and FPV gear. I used an Immersion 5.8gHz 600mW transmitter with IBCrazy clover leaf antenna. I had no issue with weight with the stock props.

I have flown my F450 with WKM, DataLink 900mHz 1W, GoPro and FPV gear. I used an Immersion 5.8gHz 600mW transmitter with IBCrazy clover leaf antenna. I had no issue with weight with the stock props.

Thanks for that feedback. I'm going to try the Graupner props and see how I go.

When you say "I had no issue with weight with the stock props", by "stock props" do you mean the 10"?

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Per request of a customer and for the coming F550 GoPro and Nex5 mounts that GaryG and I will be carrying I went out and logged some numbers with 2.5lb weight and 4s 5000mah. I'm thinking 9-10mins no problem and the mount will be lighter. (GarryG will chime in on that, my mount arrives this weekend).

First pic is with 8" props and Max amp draw

Second pic is 10" props and Max amp draw.'

Third pic is 10" props and Hover amp draw.

Fourth pic is test mule. Not pretty but....
smile.gif

Attachments

• F550weighttests.jpg
    F550weighttests.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 259
  • F550weighttests10hover.jpg
    F550weighttests10hover.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 241
  • F550weighttests10max.jpg
    F550weighttests10max.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 271
  • F550weighttests8.jpg
    F550weighttests8.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 201

Kilby

Hi Gary. I'm interested to see you using Graupner props on the DJI motors. Do they fit right on without modification? I've had two spectacular crashes on my Naza F450, both times caused by DJI 10" props snapping during flight. All up weight during both flights was 1.4Kg. (GoPro 2, FPV gear).
Has anyone else had problems with DJI props breaking. I haven't had an 8" prop break yet.
Two crash videos here:
http://vimeo.com/34824884
http://vimeo.com/35922497

Look forward to some feedback.
Cheers
Paul :)

I personally think that the DJI & XAircraft props are one in the same. They both have the unique hub shape and both have had lots of problems with breakage during flight. Have a look at the "exploding props" thread over in the XA forum and see what you think.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
I have yet to have a DJI prop break. I fly in pretty cold temps etc. Not saying its not happening.

Xaircraft and DJI props look very similar but each has there own names on them. Same mold etc. don't have a clue.

mailman35

yeah im with robert, ive flown in some cold weather so far and no broken props other then when i ran in to a street sign within the first few min of flight outside for the first time :p
im waiting on a set of Graupner 10's to show up as well as my gopro2

luismesas

So maybe I just got super unlucky to have two snap in the course of two weeks???
I'm using the NAZA FC on my F450 and with standard gains and 8" props it's just 100% fun to fly. Very, very stable.
But I want to add the GoPro and FPV gear, and the 8" props are struggling a little to lift the weight. I mean, it will fly, but you have to be careful descending because if you come down too fast, there's not enough lift in the 8" props to stop it hitting the ground.
I'm trying to get a set of Graupner props to test on the F450.

3S makes the 920kv go at 10212 rpm (max)
4S makes the 920kv go at 13616 rpm (max) more prop stress

Are you using your 8'' with 4S and heavy payload? (I see two batts and FPV on second video) That means a lot of stress for props.