Picloc 3x setting experience etc.

GeorgeM

Nice machining work :) Looks very Light !!!

Derek.. I'd still call that.. a 'semi' pendulum-assisted type though :)
It gets the job done... so its good !

Thank you George

By the way me and a few friends wonder why some people build their gimbals not pendulum like but with a horizontal U like f.e. cinestar. We could not find any advantage with that construction. Can anybody here tell me what the advantage is?

Remoteworks

Still the only way to handle the roll drift is to select Acc correction influence to NONE.
Problem with this is that the Picloc does not remember this setting. If i power the system off settings are gone. It shows SELECT as if it was unselected before.
Before every flight (battery change) i have to hook up the tool/netbook to set this setting and all is good...
Also tested the quadrocopter fc firmware but it is to slow with compensation.

RW

GeorgeM

OK... seeing why this is happening...and fix it.

Going to release new firmware very very soon now.... has some nice new goodies :)

snurre

Jochen, yes I experience the same problem with horizon leaning during accelerations, and it is quite annoying during landscape video traverses. Kind of ruins a take that was otherwise perfect. I would really like to se a working solution to this.
I know George has designed a G-sensing logic into the Picloc that should be able to mitigate this phenomena but it does not seem to work properly.
By the way, I use this picloc mounted on tilt axis (pano/roll/tilt).

George, so the new firmware will deal with this... ok that is good news :tennis:
Tomas

Last edited by a moderator:

GeorgeM

@remoteworks.... the issue lies in the TOOLZ..... It will display SELECT....but deep inside, its working on Gyro Only :)
But.. anyway.... Fixed :)

Remoteworks

Hi George,

Thnx for the response. will test this in a view minutes.
Still a bit weird i have the exact same problem as Derek described. when flying backwards (to left or right) the roll axes are moving. We work in the same manner. Most of the time the pilot does not use the rudder.
I was under the impression that Acc correction influence was a factor here and it looked to me that reselecting this setting before flight helps a bit.

RW

I can not tell that precise as I have a camera operator turning the camera. Most of the time I dont know which direction the camera together with picloc is pointing at the moment. I can say that we usually make a straight forward flight at a rather low speed until the take is finished. Then I slow down the copter and accelerate backwards. From the the moment of slowing down to the moment of constant speed going backwads the horizon is unacceptable wrong. In my case it doesnt matter as this part of the flight is not part of the take.

Remoteworks

Hi George,

Indeed you are right the setting are saved.
I think i know why the roll runs to one site. while testing the cs360 gimbal i noticed that when you roll the gimbal more then the servo can travel (passed max servo lock) The picloc start returning from servo endpoint and not calculating the difference that it gained passed servo lock.

Still doing some more test's. let you know.

RW

Hi George,
I think i know why the roll runs to one site. while testing the cs360 gimbal i noticed that when you roll the gimbal more then the servo can travel (passed max servo lock) The picloc start returning from servo endpoint and not calculating the difference that it gained passed servo lock.
RW

Hi RW,

after reading your message I took a look at our filming we recently did in Alaska. In our case the gimbal was pointing forward. Picloc was mounted to the gimbal not on any axis and the arrow on the picloc was pointing to the left. When slowing down the horizon is droping to the right (pretending a left turn) it stays there while exellerating backwards. After speed is constant it slowly returns to level. In this case the gimbal is not overshooting the servo endposition. It could only be the tilt servo, but that is not affected, besides it can travel almost 360 degrees. But I have not switched off Acc. I will try that next time.

On Friday I made some filming without going forward and backwards, more ore less going up and down. I admit it was very little wind. The takes were perfect. No need for post processing. No horizon drifting away. I think if this acceleration problem can be solved picloc is a very good and usefull product.

I hope this information helps.

Derek

Remoteworks

Hmm. I have a limit on the the forward tilt and while flying fast forward it sometimes get passed lock. the problem always occur in the opposite reaction.
The problem did only happen in flight until i walked around the room with the gimbal in my hands.
Let us know how your test goes.

RW

EDIT; It does not lose level immediately. but after 3 or 4 locks it starts to lose level.

Remoteworks

Hi George,

I'm still unsure when or by how many locks it's starting to drift. maybe it starts when tilting the picloc to a certain level.

Remoteworks

Hi George,

Did some more testing today to reproduce the roll problem.
I think i have to revisit my max servo lock solution after some flying test's. Did not roll or tilt the gimbal over max servo travel.
While bench testing it looked like this was the problem. but now i'm unsure.
You can download the vid via wetransfer > see link.

The gimbal is not correctly balanced for this camera > gh2 so it shakes a bit when servo's moves.
http://wtrns.fr/ZrtdZhSTnRHab2

Let me know if i can do some more testing.

RW

GeorgeM

OK couldn't wait.. Saw it... that's way too sensitive... should be much better.

Please send me an email with a couple of zipped screengrabs (printscreen) of your (3) gain settings, and also the calibration and Options tabs.... and also a picture of how picloc is mounted on your gimbal.

Or else we'll communicate by Skype tomorrow.
email me to set a time for the meet.

Pablo74

Hi George, thanks so much for the availability that you have given me through skype.
I'm very happy that you have set the picloc :)
:) Thanks again George

I've read quite a few posts about others having issues with over compensation (mine is constant twitching) during flight that does not show up when going through set-up. Sort of like the servos are hunting from vibration issues. I also seem to get everything set-up fine at the desk, then go fly and get horrible movement in flight. Did anyone find solutions to this? This is a home built frame with AV200.