Picloc 3x setting experience etc.

GeorgeM

@Mombasa, Remoteworkx, Rene.M

Must say that Pan is working perfectly over here. I'm on v56_76 ,as was published on the 29th of April.

Just want to make sure that in order for this to work well, AUX 1.. ie the GotoHome / E-Stop function MUST BE CENTRAL OR TOWARDS THE E_STOP.
As you know this switch is a toggle function, so that it works on both 2 AND 3 position switches ( not everyone has sophisticated radios on Gimbals )
E-STOP is the Toggle Function. Goto Home is always Active when this channel is parked at Goto Home Position.

If this function channel is' parked' on GotoHome position, then.. for sure... Picloc will try to go to home position and keep to it. ( this includes camera facing south..or north depending on how Picloc is oriented in your mount.
( it's all a question of servo reverse and gain at the end of the day !! )

Next... Magnetometer fix.
This is a real head scratcher....

@Mombasa... Prepare your vote... File Load Save as is working here.. just need to iron out 2 stubborn values that have made up their mind to escape the 'loading' procedure.

Munch

Well, the Picloc finally get's better. I'm using it with the AV200 360 and with the latest firmwares it's quite usable.

But two things annoy me a little bit...

First: The pan servo still jitters when moving slowly, we're using a Savox 1258TG with a Graupner GR-12 receiver.

Second: Sometimes Picloc forgets the zero position on roll. During flight suddenly the roll axis goes into a tilted position, and you have to come down and switch Picloc on and off, to get it horizontal again. Other option is to hold the roll stick and correct the tilt manually when this happens during flight.

Please George, look over it again, no other flaws at the moment for me! :nevreness:

GeorgeM

@rene.m - If you are using pan, make sure you have the I-Gain as low as possible. As you might be able to see.. if you increase this, the 'wondering about' will become exagerated.
Make sure you have very minimal values of this slider flavor.

It also helps to increase the Gyro Sample Rate from 42 to ...say...188Hz..
The lower sample rates are meant to 'smoothen out' the gyro noise as much as possible.
But a high sampling rate is needed for when 'Self Balance' axis and 360 servos are used.... such as PAN axis.
It's because we are in 'reactive mode', and Picloc needs to know much faster whether its turning left or right.. to start compensating for 'itself'

Want to let everyone know that a gyro upgrade plan will soon be available.
This new gyro that we're using in the upcoming Picloc revised unit is awesome !!
I'm easily measuring TEN times more resolution than currently. The performance boost is astonishing.

Of course, Current Picloc owners will be able to upgrade their unit to the new Picloc specs , and benefit from the highly increased performance.
This upgrade will be very low cost, and a fast turnaround is guaranteed.
A thorough checkup will also be performed.

Thanks !!

George

DKTek

First: The pan servo still jitters when moving slowly, we're using a Savox 1258TG with a Graupner GR-12 receiver.

Mine does the same. I'm running a JR 11X with a R1221 receiver using the 5i inputs. Tilt is silky smooth but the pan has a little stepper motion until you reach a higher value. Then it smooths out.

krleas

FPV Freak
Mine does the same. I'm running a JR 11X with a R1221 receiver using the 5i inputs. Tilt is silky smooth but the pan has a little stepper motion until you reach a higher value. Then it smooths out.

Thats not picloc problem, connect it directly to receiver make dual rate with expo and u will see that u have stepper motion until u reach higher value.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Just want to make sure that in order for this to work well, AUX 1.. ie the GotoHome...

If this function channel is' parked' on GotoHome position, then.. for sure... Picloc will try to go to home position and keep to it. ( this includes camera facing south..or north depending on how Picloc is oriented in your mount.
( it's all a question of servo reverse and gain at the end of the day !! )

Next... Magnetometer fix.

@Mombasa... Prepare your vote... File Load Save as is working here...

Not sure we are talking about the same thing here. I have E-STOP/AUTO/GTH on one three position switch (AUX1) - all of which function correctly - and Pan Manual/Auto on a second two position switch (AUX2). It is the Pan Manual/Auto function that is misbehaving. When switched to 'Manual' (or 'Stop Stabilisation') it does indeed stop stabilising. If it didn't drift it would remain entirely motionless. However, go for a flight in this position and half way through a 180° turn it starts to stabilise again. That is, if you fly North and go for a 180° left turn, the pan axis reactivates itself as you head past West, leaving the camera facing to the West on the return South heading.

Switching on GoToHome is not wanted in this situation as you need Tilt and Roll to remain active.

By rights the magnetometer should function well on my big heli because, other than a few screws, there is no ferrous metal anywhere until you reach the crankshaft about a foot away. I don't know how you are going to avoid the extremely strong magnetic field around the AV200 servos. The Savox servos appear particularly brutal in this respect.

I have never been able to configure the magnetometer to GoToHome correctly. What it thinks is 'home' is nowhere near where it was powered up and never has been.

GeorgeM

The stop stabilization must be re-engaging on its own... that's what you mean. Ok.. Gotcha !... laters..

achta

The only way i see is, that we come out of the picloc with the MAG,
Like DJI it does, and mount it far away, but on a 360 mount, not easy ;-)

rene.m

@rene.m - If you are using pan, make sure you have the I-Gain as low as possible. As you might be able to see.. if you increase this, the 'wondering about' will become exagerated.
Make sure you have very minimal values of this slider flavor.

It also helps to increase the Gyro Sample Rate from 42 to ...say...188Hz..
The lower sample rates are meant to 'smoothen out' the gyro noise as much as possible.
But a high sampling rate is needed for when 'Self Balance' axis and 360 servos are used.... such as PAN axis.
It's because we are in 'reactive mode', and Picloc needs to know much faster whether its turning left or right.. to start compensating for 'itself'

This new gyro that we're using in the upcoming Picloc revised unit is awesome !!
I'm easily measuring TEN times more resolution than currently. The performance boost is astonishing.

Of course, Current Picloc owners will be able to upgrade their unit to the new Picloc specs , and benefit from the highly increased performance.

Thanks !!

George

Hi George.

I Tested your recom., but nothing changes. Value of Pan-I-Gain is now "11" and the Gyro-Sample-Rate is 188Hz.
Still the same: no movement on the big mount, 180°-turning and shaking on the av200.
Pan in stabilization is working fine, only the manual-pan is running "crazy".

holco

Hi George,

How can a 10 times more resolution gyro help to make a better Picloc? with the current picloc
it looks to me that the gyro resolution is not the problem but the low resolution from the servo's
is the problem we have to deal with, will a higher resolution not make things worse?

And low cost is a broad concept ;) so can you say how mug the upgrade will actually cost?

Greetings,

Mario

Thanks !!

George

GeorgeM

Hi Holco....It actually helps a lot to have the highest resolution on the Gyros. Best would be to have a FOG ( Fibre Optic Gyro ) but this is beyond most hobbyist's budget.
But as every 6 months technology updates, one must keep up !!.
The new gyros are such high performing, that the accelerometer input needed to correct the (small) drift and inaccuracies of this gyro, are very little.
This helps a lot in eliminating the amount of attention which we pay attention to the Accelreometers.. the noisy source that is plagued by vibration.... and the one source that is giving me so much grief with the firmware to get to the highest performance possible, to extract as much accuracy as everyone wishes.

>>And low cost is a broad concept ;) so can you say how much the upgrade will actually cost?<<

It will cost around 43.- Euro to have both the 3 axis gyro and the 3 axis accelerometer changed, a good thorough look at the USB connector, and mailed back for free.
This is done almost at cost.
It shows that I am doing my best for a very good product and offering an upgrade path to my customers.
It also shows that I will never be a good businessman ;)

holco

Sounds to me like a very good deal :)

Please keep us informed about when you're ready to perform the upgrade.

Hi Holco....It actually helps a lot to have the highest resolution on the Gyros. Best would be to have a FOG ( Fibre Optic Gyro ) but this is beyond most hobbyist's budget.
But as every 6 months technology updates, one must keep up !!.
The new gyros are such high performing, that the accelerometer input needed to correct the (small) drift and inaccuracies of this gyro, are very little.
This helps a lot in eliminating the amount of attention which we pay attention to the Accelreometers.. the noisy source that is plagued by vibration.... and the one source that is giving me so much grief with the firmware to get to the highest performance possible, to extract as much accuracy as everyone wishes.

>>And low cost is a broad concept ;) so can you say how much the upgrade will actually cost?<<

It will cost around 43.- Euro to have both the 3 axis gyro and the 3 axis accelerometer changed, a good thorough look at the USB connector, and mailed back for free.
This is done almost at cost.
It shows that I am doing my best for a very good product and offering an upgrade path to my customers.
It also shows that I will never be a good businessman ;)

GeorgeM

Soon after the new Picloc is out and I have secured the stock of gyros necessary.
I will set up an email account to let me have a feeler of how many of the new Gyros I should be stocking for the upgrades.
Everyone will have ample time to decide after watching the comparison videos.

GeorgeM

For ppl who have reserved, that's soon, for others, it will be after that :)
Sorry!!... I absolutely cannot give a specific date, but its quite soon.

macc

Thanks George, i reserved one a while back, via email.... (Mark, Ireland) looking forward to it,

For ppl who have reserved, that's soon, for others, it will be after that :)
Sorry!!... I absolutely cannot give a specific date, but its quite soon.