Octo Build for Aerial Video

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Sebas600, so I wouldn't need the Hie landing gear if I adapt the POV mount, hmmm... I will have to look at that. I was debating on the AV200 haven't committed to it yet.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Any suggestions for attaching the GPS unit to the Droidworx booms? I haven't figured a way to do that yet.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Use an extra motor mount and just mount it on the booms. If it works without the actual pole stick that comes along with it that would a prefect solution. Less risk of the pole breaking etc.

Tape GPD module to extra motor mount

Boris

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Thanks Boris. I will look into using a motor mount for that.

I am now concerned with your comments about the power distribution board. I was going to use two Photoship One power distribution boards but maybe the Amp limit on the board is too low? Do you think the MultiCopter one would be better than the Photoship One? I don't see any mention of an Amp limit on the MultiCopter board,

http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.h...selected=Center&sn=power_board_octo&id_no=120

http://photoshipone.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=250

I want to do this right.

Perhaps I should just create my own.

Thoughts?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
1. If you want to be in the safe safe safe side do the distro yourself.

2. Safe safe side take two distboards.

3. Safe side one distboard.

If you want to safe your 5 kg octo from a crash and you are in the situation were you have to give full throttle to catch it the current can be very quickly over that of most boards even their burst rate. How often a situation like that could happen I dont know. I personally only have one dist board on my hexa and its always in the back of my head. I will use two board for my octo if i get around trying the normal escs over the herkules. I Just like the boards because they are a cleaner and ligher setup.

Boris

xtakos

Thanks Boris. I will look into using a motor mount for that.

I am now concerned with your comments about the power distribution board. I was going to use two Photoship One power distribution boards but maybe the Amp limit on the board is too low? Do you think the MultiCopter one would be better than the Photoship One? I don't see any mention of an Amp limit on the MultiCopter board,

http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.h...selected=Center&sn=power_board_octo&id_no=120

http://photoshipone.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=250

I want to do this right.

Perhaps I should just create my own.

Thoughts?

I am also building an AD8-HLE pretty much like yours,except from the motors.I will be using the tiger 2814 and i have the same problem-dilemma for the distro board.
I have purchased 2 of these boards http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-ESC-L...289?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2186cf39 and after asking seller he told me that the board can handle up to 25A per motor(200A total).But i am still not very sure about them.And what if not??
The better one would be to make a bench test but who has the time for things like that.How come and there is no a heavy duty powerboard out there for such configs?

Last edited by a moderator:

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Indeed one would think if a company was going to build a distribution board, that they would provide enough headroom for a heavy lift or at least have a HL model. Still looking myself, I may just bite the bullet and solder a spider arrangment.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I have been busy so not much progress on the build. However, here is my power distribution solution, I will put two of these in connected to two different batteries. I have used this before with my X8 with a hoverfly pro fc, it adds a bit weight but it goes together quickly and seems to work well.
View attachment 2443

Attachments

• IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 313

Sebas600

I have been busy so not much progress on the build. However, here is my power distribution solution, I will put two of these in connected to two different batteries. I have used this before with my X8 with a hoverfly pro fc, it adds a bit weight but it goes together quickly and seems to work well.
View attachment 3722

Deans are 40 Amps rated if not mistaken.This is not a problem for the power to the ESC's but will be a problem for the batteries. And from here you are going to make more wires to the ESC's... making more and more fail points in your system.

I have simply taken the wires from the ESC's and the two 10AWG wires to the batteries, put them neatly together and wit a fine wire pulled from a servo cable wound around this.
View attachment 2454
Got the idea from www.rcexplorer.se David has lots of great DIY stuff explained very good there. only he shows the ESC's together and later the batteries, I bundled all.
View attachment 2455

I've tried various other ways to make it compact and failsafe but the simple bundling was the best for my config.

Did you get the AV200 under the gear?

good luck on the build

Attachments

• tricopter8.jpg
    tricopter8.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_3076.jpg
    IMG_3076.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 400

mbsteed

aerial video centric

Sebas600

My battery wires come down the middle hole in the center plates. between the POV/gimbal and the battery holding space.

Sebas600

Which Esc`s are these Sebas600?Have you soldered the connectors direclty on the board?

They are turnigy plush 40 amps

Removed shrink
Removed motor cables
Removed the bec powerline
Put on the 3mm bulletplug females on the board
Put on clear shrink
Took al the esc power wires, stripped 12mm and put them together with the 10awg battery wires.
Bigass solder iron
Double shrinkwrap on that
4mm hxt connectors

Made a box with hole. Taped down the ESC's before soldering so there are no stresses on the wires when on the MR

xtakos

You did a really good job.I might solder the connectors on the esc also to save some weight and space from the cables.We are in the same project except from the motors.I will be using the MT-2814/770KV with Turnigy plush 30A.How come and you choose the 40A esc?Future upgrades?

Sebas600

I took the 40's on the 'better safe than sorry' idea.
I would kind of mind my 10k stuff falling from the sky.
But if I could chose again I think I would go for the Maytech 30amps with 400hz refresh or maybe even the DJI 30's

-better
-high refresh
-smaller
-lighter
- I think more reliable
-not to expensive

xtakos

If i see it falling from the sky i will run and catch it!!:tennis:
I don`t know about maytech nor for DJI.I just got the DJI esc`s with the wookong frame and motors and they look good.Are the turnigy plush at 400 Mhz?I hope that there won`t be a problem, as changing esc`s after finishing everything it will be a real pain in the a$$.