Upgrading Phantom 2 gimbal to H4-3D with GoPro Hero 3

Ben M

Hello! I have an older Phantom 2 v1 and when I rigged it up two years ago, it was with the Zenmuse H3-3D; Which has been working perfectly well, except for the few crashes it's been involved in. The last crash damaged it beyond repair and I am looking to replace it. Instead of investing in another H3-3D gimbal, I've been looking to upgrade to the H4-3D gimbal. While I can put more funds into a hero 4 camera, I wanted to know if I could fly with the hero 3 on the H4-3D gimbal. I've seen videos on youtube where the gimbal is installed on a phantom 2 with a hero 3 +, yet nothing of it in action. Wanted to get some thoughts before ordering it. Cheers!

Hello! I have an older Phantom 2 v1 and when I rigged it up two years ago, it was with the Zenmuse H3-3D; Which has been working perfectly well, except for the few crashes it's been involved in. The last crash damaged it beyond repair and I am looking to replace it. Instead of investing in another H3-3D gimbal, I've been looking to upgrade to the H4-3D gimbal. While I can put more funds into a hero 4 camera, I wanted to know if I could fly with the hero 3 on the H4-3D gimbal. I've seen videos on youtube where the gimbal is installed on a phantom 2 with a hero 3 +, yet nothing of it in action. Wanted to get some thoughts before ordering it. Cheers!
I have all the combinations as I own two Phantom 2 craft, one a V1 and the other a V2. I replaced the bottom shell of the V1 with a V2 so it also has the gimbal hole in it. One has the H4-3D and the other the H3-3D. Completing the combo picture
I also own a Hero 3+ and a Hero 4 and I can never keep track of what is where. The Hero 4 works as well on one gimbal as on the other. Same thing with the Hero 3+. Also the Hero 4 has the Peau Productions 3.9 something mm lens on it so I fly that when I want a flat horizon and I fly the Hero 3+ when I want the wide angle.