Cinestar 6 DJI Herkules II motor solutions

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hillhopper it would really be important to state what payloads we are talking about !

Boris

ovdt

KV means, revolution per volt, so if you increase the voltage to motor, the prop will spin faster.

Lets say, if you use a 6s Lipo and a motor like Tiger MT2826 / 550, you can use even 11" props to lift a craft AUW 5 kg, with a flat hexa setup.

But, if you use a 4s Lipo, you'll have to put at least 14" prop onto the MT2826/550 for a safe flight with the same weight.

So, choosing a motor depends on other factors like Lipo and weight.

MT2826 is a very powerful and big motor, so I'd recommend to use it with 5s or 6s Lipo. With 4s, you'll find yourself while looking around for 15" props.

For 4s setup and heavy lifting, I'd recommend to go with 2820 equivalent motors with KVs around 750-840.

Boris we use a 3.5kg cam on heli 10 to 15 meter above for B roll. could go up a kg at times. thats why the hercules II is interesting. Most times back down to 2kg for high flights. Have you been able to dial in the Hercules is it more time consuming than ESCs?

Stan

Ovdt, thanks for the break down very informative. was considering QC 3228s but unsure of use out there. the Axi 2820 sound good still little unclear about lipo size advantages. Hard to find whole set. sounds like poker with all the combos.

Stan

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Stan if you are planning to take up CAM equipment 3.6 KG (+ 1 kg sometimes) plus minimum two lipos so lets say 2 4s x 6000 mAh = 1.5 1.6 KG. You are at a max payload of 6.2 KG. You should start think about a Octo instead of a Hexa.

Taking the ready to fly weight from the quadrocopter.us page 2.65 kg for the CS6 add another 400g for additional stuff video downlink cables etc. You are at a weight of around 9 KG for the whole copter incl. payload.

I would be looking into the direction of a CS8 with stronger motors than the QC 3228 or a DW SKYJIb.

Boris

ovdt

It's not a poker, if you're looking for lifting a 3.5 - 4.5 kg payload, then you"ll have very short flight times. It means you're gonna have AUW 7-8 kg craft. Don't know if anyone has done this kind of heavy machine yet, except Boris's setup :)

Look at this setup:

http://ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?e...esc=max_80a&motor=tiger_motor&type=at2826-900

But, having the right prop, motor, Lipo is not enough. Handling a 3.5 kg payload means a better airframe and a camera mount. Carbon frames like CS8 and Skyjib will handle this easily, but I'm not sure about the camera mounts.

Macsgrafs

I'm having problems & this looks like I could help as well as be helped. I am running a Droidworx SJ8 octo, using emax 2820/07 motors & 12x6 props.
I have 2 x 4s lipos rated at 4000ma each (35-70c discharge), so thats a total of 8000ma...flight time today from fully charged was 3 minutes!!!!! That left 3.85v per cell, not sure how far down I can take the packs but normally dont liek to go below 3.8v per cell.
The motors are rated at 2.3kg thrust & 41A power....what's best for me to get extra time from this setup?

Ross

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
3.85v for me personally I push them further, no load 3.5v is completely acceptable ! 3.8 v is storage status putting them away for hibernation. Whats the voltage reading on your jeti/tele before you take it down so with load ?

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

[h=2]Power loss through Protection Circuit[/h][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Besides common aging, a Li-ion battery can also fail because of undercharge. This occurs if a Li-ion pack is stored in a discharged condition. Self-discharge gradually lowers the voltage of the already discharged battery and the protection circuit cuts off between 2.20 and 2.90V/cell. Some chargers and battery analyzers (including those from Cadex) provide a wake-up feature, or “boost,” to re-energize and recharge these seemingly dead Li-ion batteries.[/FONT]

Macsgrafs

Hi Boris,

I dont have jeti or any downlink...just the FC2.1ME & I2C-PWM..nothing else yet! I have awatt meter that I will try later today on just one motor & see what its drawing etc.
As for what amount of batteries they normally use...havent got a clue mate to be honest. I was the first to get a SJ8 before they were officially released, so at the time I wasnt sure of what others were using or are using now to be honest?

Ross

we use a canon xf305 3.5kg cam for its in camera 4.2.2 codec Will use new canon C300 when it arrives in Jan. has same codec with interchangeable lenses. It will likly be around 3.5 kg with lenses and gimbal.

the gimbal would be the cinestar gimbal because the mount can be connected on the top of the cams for more clearance.

Tabb has apparently flown this on the short movie Mobelus on the cinestar 8. Hope to contact him for their configs

There may be times a larger lens would push the load. Sounds like 4 pacs of lipos , Octo will be needed and bigger motors like the 2820s or larger but Ross's rates are concerning.

I hope the cinestar frame is up to it. Didnt want to go with SJ due to the mount choices.

Ross looking forward to your results

Stan

Macsgrafs

I hope the cinestar frame is up to it. Didnt want to go with SJ due to the mount choices.

Ross looking forward to your results

Stan

Stan, i'm seriously no expert...it turns out it might have been my AH setup that caused my earlier problems, cant tell until its daylight again tomorrow. DW SJ series have serveral mount options...are we talkign cam mount or motor mounts here?
My camera mount is a askman trex600 heli mount & has full pan/tilt & roll control. I can show you it on my SJ8 if thats any help?

Ross

Ross, that would be great if it is simple.
Yes, would like to see the mount and the askman clearance for upper handle cams.

Stan

Macsgrafs

Ross, that would be great if it is simple.
Yes, would like to see the mount and the askman clearance for upper handle cams.

Stan

Excuse the shots & cables on the gimbal Stan...its been away in a duty box for 6 months as I have been trying to make this SJ8 first, mount is to be connected when I'm complete, so its just slung on for now,m but Im sure you can see it clearly:-
It's 6 inches wide by 5 inches tall thats the clearance inside.

View attachment 1693View attachment 1694View attachment 1695

The legs will be retractable, got the pivot points in bearings, just got to sort out connection to a 15Kg servo :(

Ross

Attachments

• mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 292
  • mount2.jpg
    mount2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 272
  • mount3.jpg
    mount3.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 287

Ross Thks gona need 7" height that servo sounds mean. The cinestar gimbal bracket flips up and down angles the side arms for even more room. the height of the cam is limited to the landing gear only. So the cam can angle straight down if needed. Would love to see the skyjib of yours. Stan

Macsgrafs

Ross Thks gona need 7" height that servo sounds mean. The cinestar gimbal bracket flips up and down angles the side arms for even more room. the height of the cam is limited to the landing gear only. So the cam can angle straight down if needed. Would love to see the skyjib of yours. Stan

Hi Stan, let me say they are very easy to mod..you could cut off the bottom plate, add a few inches on & then reatach? the bottom back on. The legs could exntended as well to accomadate the changes.If you want to see my SJ8, check out my galleries on here.

Regards
Ross

Jules_B

I'm having problems & this looks like I could help as well as be helped. I am running a Droidworx SJ8 octo, using emax 2820/07 motors & 12x6 props.
I have 2 x 4s lipos rated at 4000ma each (35-70c discharge), so thats a total of 8000ma...flight time today from fully charged was 3 minutes!!!!! That left 3.85v per cell, not sure how far down I can take the packs but normally dont liek to go below 3.8v per cell.
The motors are rated at 2.3kg thrust & 41A power....what's best for me to get extra time from this setup?

Ross

Hi Ross

I've seen that you've got to the bottom of your short flight duration issue now, but to give you an idea for comparison I'm running a Skyjib 8 with Axi 4120's powered by a single 6600mah, and when I'm carrying a 5D I get about 4 and half minutes or so which takes it to about 3.6 volts. I have taken it lower but don't like to if I can help it.

Here's a couple of links to some test flights.

Jules

<a href="http://vimeo.com/29674297" target="_blank">
<a href="http://vimeo.com/29674297" target="_blank">

Last edited by a moderator: