Want to get into quadcopters but dont know where to start

Cactusneedle_18

I have been popping in and out of really wanting a drone and not caring for the past two years, and because Christmas is right around the corner I thought I'd drop around $600 into a drone. I'd like to get something that I could build that are ready to fly is alright as well Because I don't want to buy something like a DJI Phantom because it doesn't have a reusable controller nor do I have a device to use for the screen. I would like something that I can bring out with me when I go riding (I snowmobile) 2 fly roughly between half a mile and a mile of range with fpv quality of 700 TV line or higher. I appreciate the help and I have no idea where to start or even if my goal is in this price range. thanks in advance.

The only thing I know I want to get would this screen for fpv because i don't want to get goggles just yet https://www.amazon.com/Eachine-LCD5802S-Receiver-Monitor-Antenna/dp/B014IVSKGW

Av8Chuck

What do you want to use the drone for?

If its just to fly FPV then you might be able to get a small racer with the necessary accessories for $600. Keep in mind that up to a mile range for 5.8 video might be a challenge in that price range. If your wanting to add the aerial photography capabilities then I think your expectations are unrealistic.

It also depends on whether you want an RTF or want to build it yourself. This won't resolve the issue of having a controller you can use with other drones and you'll need a GoPro but this is a great deal: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/3dr-sol...98&ksprof_id=14&ksaffcode=pg174664&ksdevice=c

Would this be your very first drone? I would consider something small to get started if you do not have a lot of flying experience. Something like an Inductrix or Nano QX for a first timer will save you a lot of time and money learning. The Inductrix is pretty much indoor only, unless you have no wind, but on the flip side you can practice whenever you want. This fails on several of your fronts but is still probably the best way to get into it. Also, depending on what you want to run for a radio, these small drones are great if you go Spektrum. You could buy an inductrix and a DX6-9 and fly your small indoor quad while getting the feel for the full size radio. While bouncing off walls, you can start gathering parts for a bigger build.

RTF and Dedicated controller kind of go together. Only RTF or ARF things I have are the small quads/helis, but looking at Phantom, Chroma, 3DR, a dedicated remote is pretty standard at first glance.

If you are dead serious about building a more hobby grade one from the get go, I would look into something in that 180-210 range up 300mm for a little more range capable and go under powered, 220(4-6)-2300 kv motors, 3s battery, maybe some 3 pitch props. You want to keep the thrust to weight ratio from getting to high while learning. This is won't give you the full range you are looking for but it will be capable of most anything you throw at it with battery and prop adjustments. Most importantly, with decent parts it will take a real beating. Setup as 5.8g, I would think 600 meters might be around its limit with an easy to carry setup. You probably don't want to be carrying a base station and 1.3g antennas in your sack on a snowmobile.

To build something bigger, I would hold off. If you need the full range of a DJI system you may need to go that route for a compact carry system.

Maybe just prioritize some of the desires on remote, range, rtf, size, and price.

In that case, my suggestion on the little indoor door will be more valuable even if you don't use Spektrum radios.

I just got a Inductrix FPV, it is bound to my DX7 and using my Dominator SE fatsharks, I have am having a great time and it is the most successful FPVing I have done yet. Longest flight anyway.

I don't have a lot of room out back to fly, so trying to learn on my race quad style builds and frames is daunting considering I don't want to hit my house and really don't want to hit the neighbors house. First time out, I struggled to keep the quad in a football field sized area. My next build will be similar to the Inductrix with prop protection but looking to use 1304 brushless motors on a slight larger frame with a real flight controller. Think they are 120 mm sized frames for the 1304's. Something I can safely use around homes and in the general area of people but still enough power that it doesn't roll with the leaves in a breeze. This way I can save the big dogs for when I can get out into open air but still fly daily at the house.

I agree with some of the above... It's well worth investing the bulk of your cash into the gear to support the drone rather than the drone at first; basically try to have as much of your investment with you on the ground, not up in the air as...because it's likely you'll crash as you learn. Fatshark Dominators are a good call, and I would recommend a Taranis TX as you can use that with future quads.

Personally I started building muscle memory by flying indoor fpv as suggested above... but this will soon become redundant once you experience outdoor flying. Instead, invest in the gear, plus a decent racing quad - but start out on a simulator like freerider fpv. You'll be amazed at how proficient you can become just by clocking sim hours. That will really take the sting out of your first few flights, but even if you do crash hopefully you've not splashed too much on the quad itself at this stage.