Filming a presentation

Ti@goo

Hi,

Would like to know if you guys can help me.

I was asked to film a demonstration occuring off the coast has you see in the picture..

In this demonstration they will be releasing some Helikites that will transmit Wi-Fi
The main objective of the project is to bring Wi-fi 100km offshore.

I was asked to do aereal filming of the demonstration off the coast.

My questions is, will this Wi-fi create any interferences with the drone??

Thank you and sorry for the english..:):(
BLUECOM+.jpg

Attachments

• BLUECOM+.jpg
    BLUECOM+.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,815

violetwolf

Unfortunately the only way to know is to try it and find out.

To my understanding WiFi interference is mainly with GPS reception so if you're not flying in auto modes you may be OK anyway.

Ti@goo

Yeap! I guess I have to take the risk, and put that risk on budget.

Thanks for the answer violetwolf

Old Man

If you can test frequency compatibility on land with the equipment first you have a much greater chance of success. Check with the company and try to arrange a time and place for a test run, feet dry.

Last edited:

violetwolf

If you can test frequency compatibility on land with the equipment first you have a much greater chance of success. Check wit the company any try to arrange a time and place for a test run, feet dry.

This is great advice.

You don't say which flight controller you have Tiagoo. With APM/Pixhawk you have GPS signal strength readout in Mission Planner.. You could do as Old Man suggests and even before leaving the ground you could move the craft in and through the field of WiFi and carefully watch the compass heading, number of satellites and HDOP for any fluctuations. If that looks clear try some low altitude flights in Stabilize not using gps ... Then try a few with GPS modes (Loiter etc) and if all that goes well take deep breath and try RTL.

But ya, it sounds like a job you can justify a higher budget ;)

Last edited:

Ti@goo

I have the Wookong.. Will the number off sats be enough?

What about interference with the controller? I use the Frsky Taranis and X8R..

Its a great advice. And I will speak with the client for that.

violetwolf

I'm not sure about wookong I have never used them at all.

What I do is fly my "beater hexa" that I have all the same electronics on.. same RX and FC even the same BEC etc. as on my camera bird. I built it on a cheap F550 frame that I can afford to crash.

I always fly the beater for two batteries watching all my telemetry before I risk flying my camera machine. I do this even if it's a location I've flown many times before. If nothing else it's a good warm-up ;)

cinecopt

Hi,

Would like to know if you guys can help me.

I was asked to film a demonstration occuring off the coast has you see in the picture..

In this demonstration they will be releasing some Helikites that will transmit Wi-Fi
The main objective of the project is to bring Wi-fi 100km offshore.

I was asked to do aereal filming of the demonstration off the coast.

My questions is, will this Wi-fi create any interferences with the drone??

Thank you and sorry for the english..:):(View attachment 27669

Hi we have a system available offering up to 7Mbps data over 100 km with this you are able to transmit wifi, Full HD video and control signals to control your drone all via the same frequency running at 5.8 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz depending on what options you want. all data is also AES 256 Bit encrypted. contact me at erik@dronera.no if you are interested. Price is around 50.000€ + we also have more cost effective versions with 10 km range that will run you around 20.000 €.

GetAirborne

Hopefully the demonstration doesn't require you to fly your drone 100 km and back! :eek:

To minimize radio interference, look at all the radios in operation. There are at least six radios operating, by my estimate.

Your radios, in order of priority, include the controller TX, your FPV video, and GPS. I put GPS last because you can easily fly an effective mission without GPS assuming it is line of sight (or you really trust your FPV to help you fly the aircraft home). Some flight controllers (e.g., Phantom 4) can use GLONASS GPS signals as well as US, which might improve immunity from radio interference.

Your control radio is top priority because loss of signal could be no fun (especially with no GPS and thus no fail safe). Many RC controller radios use 2.4GHz spread spectrum, so the link can tolerate a few collisions (e.g., interference from strong 2.4GHz WiFi). But DJI Lightbridge (including some Phantoms) may stomp all over the 2.4GHz band, and we are warned not to use other 2.4GHz radios near a Lightbridge. You can get RC TX radios in other frequencies like 5.8GHz (short range) and long range UHF 433MHz (Dragonlink). At a minimum, you should consider using a booster amp and/or directional antenna to make sure your aircraft receives a strong control signal from you in the presence of radio interference. There are relatively easy hacks on the web to add a standard WiFi booster amp (battery powered) to Taranis radios (may require a bit of delicate surgery, depending on your hardware version).

The customer's radios (for the system demonstration) include WLAN and the unknown Long Range Radios (shown in the diagram), and perhaps other voice or digital communication radios used for coordination. You will probably want to ask about the Long Range Radios (frequency, power, is it a tight directional beam, etc.). Definitely stay out of a high-power tight beam radio path, even if it's a different frequency. Also ask whether the WLAN radios used in the demo are standard low-power or some kind of high-power variant. If the WLAN is standard low power and you are not flying near one of the nodes, you should have no trouble from WiFi.

You could avoid all of the radio questions by asking the customer to carefully switch OFF their high power transmitters (other than voice radio) during your filming. For example, you film the deployment of each Helikite with their radios off. Then you keep your aircraft on the ground when they switch on the WLAN and Long Range Radios. Of course your video looks the same whether their WLAN is operating or dead, so this may be feasible.

You can find a list of WLAN channel frequencies here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
Here are the (US) GPS frequencies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_signals#Frequency_information
GLONASS GPS frequencies start at 1.6GHz: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLONASS#Signal

Old Man

Never, ever put 100% trust in a Wookong GPS unit. Those that have had the best success with them fly in Atti mode where GPS is not used. If flying a LOS operation GPS is not needed and the Wookong is very stable in Atti.

Ti@goo

Thanks for all your answers! you´ve been most helpfull!

Not really sure If I want to put my X8 above water in these conditions, and filming from a boat.

I will probably buy a P3 for this.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

violetwolf

Flying from boats can be a whole other challenge in itself. Gyros in the FC and in the Gimbal like to be stable while arming. And another gotcha is that boats move around so it may be in a different spot when RTL kicks in in a fail-safe condition.. If you get a low Batt fail-safe for instance it may fly to where the boat was when armed and simply land in the water. I've seen this caught on film while the crew frantically tried to regain control of the Inspire.