Commercial Operations of sAUS in the US now Legal

Av8Chuck

This thread is for the recent announcement from the FAA for Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Rule. If your interested in discussing how this rule pertains to the hobbyist (it doesn't) please post in the other thread.

There are 624 pages to the ruling so there will undoubtedly be some debate over the interpretation of this ruling. Lets focus this thread on sharing understanding, answering questions and suggestions as it relates to commercial operations.

The FAA has just started the race, its not going to be a sprint to the finish. Its going to be a marathon. So anything we can do to help each other become legitimate UAV businesses will help this fledgling business grow.
Here is the link to the Summary: http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

And here is the link to the Ruling: http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf

Long time in the making but this is a great beginning!

MrJuiceBox

Was so excited to read this this morning! Now all I'm trying to figure out is how to get the remote pilot airman certificate with a small UAS rating. Can anyone fill me in about this?

jetkrazee

Uplifting-photography.com
I just read this from another "forum". Hope ta he** it's not true.

"Knowledge Test Fee $2548.60 (notice the accuracy to the penny, I like that)
Positive Identification of the Applicant Fee $434.80 (my wife would likely do this for considerably less)
Small UAS registration fee $85.70 (ouch)
TSA Security Vetting $1026.50 (This makes little sense, it cost $50 to sign up for the Precheck system)
Knowledge Test Report $154.90 (Maybe this is the actual fee and the other one is something else)."

jetkrazee

Found this also. I can believe these figures as opposed to what I saw earlier.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 806

Av8Chuck

Probably the place to start, as MrJuiceBox points out, is to figure out how to get the remote pilot airman certificate with a small UAS rating.

Do we have to go to a testing facility? Where are they located and can we do it immediately?

scaots

Hopefully it only costs a couple hundred dollars. From the little I searched, it appears that there are different tests depending on your certification. Hopefully there will be a more basic test for UAS that would cover airspace and flight regulations. I am definitely interested in getting certified to do limited commercial work if it isn't too costly.

Here is the test locations...
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/test_centers.pdf

From...
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/becoming_a_pilot/

Av8Chuck

I heard that it will be 60 days before testing will begin.

Time to study!
They apparently have the test, it would be great if they had sample tests to study from and information about where we can find online classes or resources to help us study.

Dezy

They apparently have the test, it would be great if they had sample tests to study from and information about where we can find online classes or resources to help us study.

Absolutely - I would expect that there will be study resources coming.....

So just to clarify, You would only have to study up then take the test? I would figure in a short time someone would start up a school and teach you everything you needed then give the test and certify you.

Av8Chuck

I believe that you can study and take the test if your already a pilot. There will probably be a need to take a ground school class if your not a pilot. I also think that the FAA is trying to leverage already existing ground schools, mostly affiliated with PPL instruction.

I suspect that there will also be a lot of training opportunities for organizations who want to instruct operators on who to accomplish specific tasks or mission and help large companies setup and support internal drone departments.

But first things first, where can we get certified?

I already have a TWIC (transportation worker identification credential) card for my work issued by The TSA and Homeland Security. I wonder if that would satisfy the requirement for TSA vetting seeing on how that's what it is.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
I am so happy to see that the FAA has finally realized that voluntary compliance is best achieved with sensible rules. This day is a historic milestone for the industry which I'm so proud to be a part of. I am also very happy for all the talented people out there trying to stay in the shadows hoping not to get caught. The industry can now finally grow. We had Peter Sachs and Steve Hogan on the Drone Vibes Podcast - Part 107 special episode for some great first impressions and opinions, and also discuss the summary published by the FAA.
http://www.dronevibes.com/2016/06/21/093/

Glenn Goodlett

So, are there any reporting requirements that go along with the part 107 deal? I file a very brief report to the faa every month with my 333 and I assume everyone else does as well. It would be worth the several hundred in fees to fly under part 107 if there are no reporting requirements. Otherwise, I'll stick to flying under my 333 exemption.

jetkrazee

So, are there any reporting requirements that go along with the part 107 deal? I file a very brief report to the faa every month with my 333 and I assume everyone else does as well. It would be worth the several hundred in fees to fly under part 107 if there are no reporting requirements. Otherwise, I'll stick to flying under my 333 exemption.
It is my understanding that their will no longer be a requirement for the reporting but I have no way of confirming this.