CX4 WooKong GPS Problems, plus Spektrum DX8 Failsafe settings.

Tahoe Ed

NZV. Here is a video for a JR9503. I have a Dx8 and they are not that different in their menus. The difference is that this if for the Naza. For the WKM, on the three position switch you need to set the ATTI with sub trim and then GPS and Manual with your channel endpoints. The mix is the same to get to failsafe.

http://vimeo.com/34330151

I had the same problem but by doing a compass calibration before each flight it seems to have cured it.

Rich

Hmmmm. I went outside just now, did the compass calibration, waited till no red flashing light, took off in GPS mode and it immediately drifted 50 mtrs away before I brought it back. Tried again
and got anti-clockwise circles. :-(

NZV. Here is a video for a JR9503. I have a Dx8 and they are not that different in their menus. The difference is that this if for the Naza. For the WKM, on the three position switch you need to set the ATTI with sub trim and then GPS and Manual with your channel endpoints. The mix is the same to get to failsafe.

http://vimeo.com/34330151

Hi. I already have failsafe and the three position switch all set up and working. Kim from Photohigher set it up for me just after we installed the Wookong. When I turn off my DX8 I get a constant blue LED on
the Wookong. But as for the GPS......crap.

oh bugger...I am also in NZ, sounds like potentially we might have a country wide issue? It goes anticlockwise for me as well. I saw on another post about a known issue with satellites in Brazil, which MK managed to sort a fix for - http://www.multirotorforums.com/archive/index.php/t-1327.html? .

I'll try re-doing the compass calibration, I've also emailed DJI support but seems like might be out of luck there....

Thanks,
Andy
Yes it seems that it's something DJI has to sort out. I mean, what the hell are we supposed to do??

rwilabee

That is crummy it didn't work for you. That was on the advice of DJI tech support for me and it worked fine. Maybe they will have another idea on what to check.

Rich

Hmmmm. I went outside just now, did the compass calibration, waited till no red flashing light, took off in GPS mode and it immediately drifted 50 mtrs away before I brought it back. Tried again
and got anti-clockwise circles. :-(

I had the same problem but by doing a compass calibration before each flight it seems to have cured it.

Rich

It's interesting that you were having the same problem in the US. I thought the problem only manifested in NZ/Australia. Did you write to DJI?

Tahoe Ed

Hi. I already have failsafe and the three position switch all set up and working. Kim from Photohigher set it up for me just after we installed the Wookong. When I turn off my DX8 I get a constant blue LED on
the Wookong. But as for the GPS......crap.

Have you checked the GPS signals with another source at your location? I have not has a problem with getting GPS lock or with the toilet bowl effect you describe in either Lake Tahoe or Las Vegas. I will also say that I had to send my Dx8 back to Horizon to have the programming fixed. Is your's part of the recall? Just an idea.

Simmo

I actually emailed Photohigher myself earlier to check if they have managed to get a WKM working ok in NZ - have you discussed with them at all? Do you know of anyone successfully using the GPS in NZ?

Have you checked the GPS signals with another source at your location? I have not has a problem with getting GPS lock or with the toilet bowl effect you describe in either Lake Tahoe or Las Vegas. I will also say that I had to send my Dx8 back to Horizon to have the programming fixed. Is your's part of the recall? Just an idea.

I'm getting GPS lock on my iPhone no problem. I haven't heard of a recall on DX8. I'll check with my supplier here in NZ.

I actually emailed Photohigher myself earlier to check if they have managed to get a WKM working ok in NZ - have you discussed with them at all? Do you know of anyone successfully using the GPS in NZ?
I have a friend in Auckland who seems to have GPS working on his Wookong Quad. I'll get in touch with him and see what settings he's using. Regarding the magnetic declination, it seems to me that DJI ould program the GPS to function normally in NZ. I mean, every other GPS device works fine.

PapaRomeo

Rich

Compass calibration needs to be done on the airframe and not location. This has been the case with all DJI systems since 3 years.

Are you using any kind of FPV transmitters on your system?

Compass calibration needs to be done on the airframe and not location. This has been the case with all DJI systems since 3 years.

Are you using any kind of FPV transmitters on your system?
I don't understand what you mean "Compass calibration needs to be done on the airframe and not location". The Wookong user manual clearly shows how to do the calibration and this is exactly
how I've been doing it. I've taken off all FPV gear and it's made no difference.

PapaRomeo

Yeah NZV.. You only need to do it once unless you change your setup like move the GPS-Compass to another location, change motors, gimbal or such. I am sure that you can do the calibration but was little worried that if you have a strong video rx that might cause issues.

Also if you can´t figure out what is causing the issues your best bet is to send it back to DJI for repair. That will take a lot of time and may get it fixed or not. I have sent many DJI units to China and the first time I shipped my DJI XP3.1 for firmware upgrade I shipped it with Fedex and insured the package. Well the packet got stuck in China customs and stayed there for a month until it got shipped back to us and then I had to reship it back uninsured this time. So do not insure for the real amount.

I have a CX4 and the Wookong M but I am flying it with much lower gains. My gains are 80. So far I have not had the GPS problem you are having.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
NZV. have you tried putting a little cheapo compass on the IMU and spin everything up? Its a great way of finding out if your wiring is causing a problem in areas with strong magnetic fields.. I am sure there are more than a couple of WKM users in Australia and NZ not having issues..

Dave

buddyrama

Ferrite cable barnacles

NZV. have you tried putting a little cheapo compass on the IMU and spin everything up? Its a great way of finding out if your wiring is causing a problem in areas with strong magnetic fields.. I am sure there are more than a couple of WKM users in Australia and NZ not having issues..

What about interference from Ferrite cable barnacles? I wonder if their magnetic pull could disturb the compass? Can you remove those from the cable and still have a good video downlink?

vislaw

I am in the U.S. on the west coast and I also have the "toilet bowl" or circling effect described here. I have a Droidworx AD6HL with the GPS centered 10cm over the CG. I have been trying to eliminate the effect by adjusting the gains but have not been successful. I'll go ahead and recalibrate the compass to see if that makes a difference.

I sure would like to hear from anyone else who had the problem and how they fixed it.

EDIT: I was able to re-calibrate the compass with no trouble. Unfortunately, in spite of a beautiful day I wasn't able to get a GPS lock after waiting more than 10 minutes. Took it up anyway in ATT mode and it flew stable but never did stop with the 3 red-light flashes indicating no satellite lock. I'll check all the connections and hopefully be able to do another test this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:

wflug

Hi,
i`m from Germany, new here and hope someone can help with the first installation of my WK-M.

After succesfully Configuration with my Gaui 500X can`t open the modus of Digital compass calibration. My 3-position control mode switch works correctly ( LED correct blinking and Tx Monitor at software shows the GPS- Atti- Man- mode position at switching. When my Tx is off, shows it Failsave and Led blue blinking. After quickly switching control mode switch like Manual 2.3 the LED blinking, but not blue!

The other problem is to initialize ESC. Was not possible with the MC, only with my receiver and my Tx. The ESCs were individually initialized and motors works with my receiver, not with MC. When I start with connected WK-M, ESCs are correct armed, but the motors do not working by throttle on. T-Stick-Calibration was OK at Tx-Monitor. I've just checked all connections.

what can I do?

Werner

2xGaui 500X, Esc GUEC GE 183, Scorpio GUEC GM412S,
Multiplex Profi mc 4000 mit Jeti-modul 2,4GHz
Rx Jeti R8
3S 3000
Panasonic SD300, G1,