Negative reviews for Hobby King and HobbyWireless

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I wasn't going to post this as I feel it is just negativity. BUT, after 10 emails from Hobby King, sending me these pre-written responses one after another i just about lost it!

My purchase was a small one, a lipo for the fatsharks which arrived ballooned and clearly defective. i sent 2 images of the battery and asked them what to do next. Again, pre-written responses with no clear acknowledgment of my direct questions. They finally asked me to just send it back. that was it, no paid shipping, no talk of refund, no address, no R.A. #, nothing. After all of this I told them not to worry about it as it was a waste of my time trying to return a $20 package back to a country across the globe.

So, warning! dealing with these guys, can be a disaster. If you buy cheap chinese gear, you have to expect at least 50% of it to be damaged as that is just how it works. So without good customer service you are essentially screwed.

On my crap list as well is Hobbywireless. These guys were equally as bad at dealing with my return request. If you email them about buying something they are there and will answer. if you want to return something they will wait long enough that you get dinged the restocking fee. Not good business!

Let's strike against these cheap product based companies.
My google translate application is getting tired of this!

Last edited by a moderator:

IrisAerial, you have got me concerned now...I've got 2 x Turnigy Nano 4s 5000mah batts. on order and supposedly for delivery over the next few days...they have cost me almost $188. If I end up returning them they will be bloody expensive batts. I hope it won't come to that.

Kilby

Hobby King also has warehouses in other countries. Being in the states, I try to limit my orders with them to only items stocked in the US. That way, if I do need to return something, the shipping costs don't out weigh the original value of the item.

-Terry

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have had great experiences dealing with hobbypartz.com they are in socal and ship things right away, they speak the natuve language and will acknowledge any problems pretty quickly with results. Although 99% of their stuff is also chinese, they seem to back it much better than other companies i have ordered from.

David, I would not worry until you have a problem. there is always a god chance things will be fine. I have ordered a few things that have worked from them as well. but never had to deal with their returns. Yikes! Plus, most of this stuff is so cheap it would cost more to send it back than to just keep it and throw it away.

Macsgrafs

Never post for help in the forums you get seriously attacked by the kiss asses my mrs has had nothing but abuse she even PM'd a few admins & they said they wanted nothing to do with it. There is a very nasty element that frequents thier forums! I only found out 3 days ago that the CS are members of the forum, just normal guys who cant tell you anything you dont already know!!!
My mrs odered me a eagltree airspeed expander it came through with the pitot tube missing, so they agreed to send a new one when they get them in stock...considering they had 5 others in stock why not take a tube from one of the others & send it...I even told my mrs this she informed them & no reply. Thank god we always pay by paypal & fund paypal with a credit card.

Its not all doom & gloom but the forums are a VERY nasty place.
I have had some great bargains from them but CS is a real joke to HK....good luck

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I have just ordered a load of batteries (Turnigy Nanotech 6000mah) from them and so far so good. I agree, shipping is painfully slow and expensive. I also ordered a 4 port charger (Hobby Kings own) which was very cheap. I ended up having to replace all of the charging leads myself, as well as buy balancing lead extension cables because they were utter ****e, but I expect you always get what you pay for!

I will always buy local if I can (UK) but when I need a few batteries at one time or other items, I will get it from them and just hope for the best, expecting to have a little surprise!!

Gunter.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i had an eqaully bad experience with Hobbywireless.com and now won't buy anything from a place that doesn't have a phone number on their website. hobbywireless has a number but they seldom answer it and when I wanted to return something that I bought from them it was like the credit card commercial with the a-hole guy doing the fake voice on the other end. the email responses i got were insulting and sophomoric.
hobbyking is like gambling, you might get something great for a quarter but chances are you're just going to lose your quarter.

Orracle

I ordered 5 5000mah nanotech batteries, an icharger and a Frsky DJT Module from HK... 4 weeks ago. It is the Frsky module that is holding up my order as it still showing on back order, I want my batteries! Their FAQ says it usually takes them 2 weeks to restock.

PapaRomeo

I bought a 150 dollar SN777 camera from HW. For some reason it would only work when directly wired to a video display nut if wired thru Lawmate, Iftrontech or ImmersionRC tx it would not display a picture.

They took it back for repair but sent the same camera back claiming that it was fully operational. I even made a video for them explaining how it didn't work.

HobbyKing on the other hand was a very swift shipper 3 years ago when not that many people knew about them. Shipping took place same day and batteries came very fast... But now everybody knows HobbyCity or is it HobbyKing or Uhobbies or...

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Just to let everyone know that the Hobby King 4 port lipo charger I received last week has just blown one of the ports...so I can only charge 3 batteries at once :(

Macsgrafs

Just to let everyone know that the Hobby King 4 port lipo charger I received last week has just blown one of the ports...so I can only charge 3 batteries at once :(

Buy cheap...buy twice ;) Unlucky Gunter but to be expected! Hoep you paid with paypal?

Ross

Hey ! I am more than pleased. My shipment of 2 xTurnigy Nano 5000 mah batts. arrived today as informed by HK (had to pay an extra £25 to get them through customs though) and I have since tried them both in flight and balance recharged them successfully...happy days.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I should have titled this thread "Modeler's outreach program." If you cant get your money back at least you can vent about it here:

Orracle

Well I got a reply back from HK yesterday telling me to expect to wait an additional 30 days for them to restock the FrSky DJT tx module. Two months to wait for $600 dollars worth of goods all because one $50 part is unavailable...