I Predict...

Status
Not open for further replies.

violetwolf

That the forums will be inundated with a TON of newbs that got a drone for Xmas, went straight out and crashed or otherwise have issues. They will lack education in all aspects of RC and will be looking for guidance.

This could be a good or bad thing ... Lol

That's a fair assessment. I was on another drone forum a while back and we would constantly get these college kids that would come on and ask questions because they took on an engineering project and needed help. I don't have a problem with helping out but some of them just wanted you to tell them exactly what they needed to do. One poster came on (not an engineering student) and his first post he wanted to know what frame, motors, ESC's, battery's etc, etc with part numbers, prices and links on where to buy. He wanted it to lift ~35 pounds and it needed to have 10" props.

Old Man

John,

You might be surprised to learn that a lot of those posts aren't made by engineering students working on a project at all. I get security briefings all the time and anything drone technology is high on the "want list" for African and some eastern countries. They have some pretty bright people over there but they are in a hurry. They are not interested in hobby aircraft but instead use them fro things quite dangerous to Westerner's. The moment I see terms like "heavy lift, aerial spraying, and agricultural applications, 50Km range, 2 hour flight time", alarm bells start going off in my head. I want to know a lot more about them before saying anything. In fact, even knowing a lot about them I tend to say little. I've seen our hobby technology used in some pretty mean and nasty ways, and RC cars and little airplanes have been in those observations.

Stacky

I remember when i first started messing with this stuff coming up to 6 years ago now that I was asking all those questions and there were a bunch of seasoned, experienced vets mocking people like me and acting in a condescending manner. I guess as we become more experienced we all forget the types of silly questions we all asked and seeing "newbies" asking those questions makes us feel superior.

scotth

John,

You might be surprised to learn that a lot of those posts aren't made by engineering students working on a project at all. I get security briefings all the time and anything drone technology is high on the "want list" for African and some eastern countries. They have some pretty bright people over there but they are in a hurry. They are not interested in hobby aircraft but instead use them fro things quite dangerous to Westerner's. The moment I see terms like "heavy lift, aerial spraying, and agricultural applications, 50Km range, 2 hour flight time", alarm bells start going off in my head. I want to know a lot more about them before saying anything. In fact, even knowing a lot about them I tend to say little. I've seen our hobby technology used in some pretty mean and nasty ways, and RC cars and little airplanes have been in those observations.
A few days or weeks before 911 a couple of middle eastern fellas came by the airport where I was hanging out (Norwood, MA) asking about chartering a Citation.. could they pay cash?, could they go to NY?, etc. Turned out to be 2 of the hijackers that flew out of Logan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
hi guys,

yes we are exposed to risks being fluent in "drone" speak but we're also stewards of the hobby and it's our duty to share our knowledge with those coming in after we did. warning flags are warning flags, i'm not expecting anyone to ignore them but by being respectful to people that are new to the hobby and sincerely trying to learn so as to learn and improve themselves for future "drone" endeavors, i request we be generous and patient as i hope we were to you at some point.

:)

Peace, health, prosperity, freedom.

Hoki

bad people will use anything they can in bad ways, what can you do? That's what all the enforcement agencies are for.

Old Man

And the laws related to ITAR. We can import FC technology but we cannot export it. That includes the Internet medium. One does not need to be part of a company or corporation to find themselves in a lot if hot water with ITAR. It's applicable whether or not one is cognizant of it.

Hoki

If anyone suspects illegal activities or supporting illegal activates by any corporation or business please notify the FBI.

Old Man

I'm all for helping people out where I can, but I also know the world is not as friendly a place as I wish it would be. SO before responding to inquiries about the high levels of what we have and do I try to qualify in every way I can the background of the person asking the questions. I like to ask questions and get a feel for the answers before expounding too much on the subject matter, check the users location where one is provided, and take my time seeing how the inquiries escalate as the conversation progresses. One thing I don't like doing is essentially being the one to do an entire build, from parts selection, selecting vendors, pricing, parts ordering, and performing the build in all but the physical labor. I like to see a lot of involvement from the person making the inquiries to demonstrate a level of commitment.

violetwolf

Lol Hoki this thread was not aimed at you,.. or anyone actually. (Your new avatar is much better btw. Thank you.) Annnnd I'm glad you're here and sticking around! This can be a fun and challenging hobby. I think that's the appeal for many of us... to challenge ourselves.. so be prepared for that. This hobby teaches us patience lol ;) I have a daughter about your age so I am stoked that you are interested.

Bart: (he is the forum owner Hoki) This thread has taken a turn I dint expect when I started it. Sorry about that. The intention was to explore the idea of a million new users coming at us all once. I am always happy to help newcomers myself.. I was one once too. (But agree with Old Man that folks need to study on their own as well.)

Bart, I wonder if it might be an idea to lock or delete the thread altogether as it seems a little polarizing? This wouldn't offend me in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.