The future of "Stand Alone"Multirotor Flight Controllers- A Trend? The End?

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Are we are quickly seeing the "traditional" multi rotor FC being discontinued?
I have been noticing the slow and obvious move by the BIG electronics manufacturers moving away from the stand alone Flight controller. Companies like DJI, SuperX, Hoverfly, FreeFly, Tarot & 3DR are all moving to a "complete" aircraft system and slowly dropping support of the stand alone FC....
The total lack of "new" features and capabilities not being added to the stand alone FC products, yet added to the "RTF" or "Developer" products is obvious.
We have flown all of these manufacturers FC and have watched many drop out of the FC business or "discontinue" support of the FC products they had already sold and suddenly your $1300.00 FC does not work anymore!!!!
DJI is investing all of their resources into complete "RTF" systems and nothing new is happening to the current stand alone FC other than the "Discontinuing" of support of earlier products.
A recent visit to Xaircraft's site leads one to believe that they are no longer selling the SuperX..... it is nearly impossible to find it on their site.
Hoverfly left everyone holding the bag....
FreeFly "synapse" as a stand alone controller did not happen.
3DR is chasing their SOLO...
As much as I hate to say it..... for those of us needing a "Stand Alone" FC, the market seems to be collapsing to the RTF or "complete" integrated FC system.
We might be backing up to the days of "open source" boards like the Multiwii, KK & Ardupilot of days gone by....

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
interesting observation, probably a swing of the pendulum though where the bigger players will gravitate to the RTF market but the "board" manufacturers will advance their designs and make up the difference. it's possible though that they are seeing the writing on the wall with smaller operations like NAZE having all of the capabilities, most of the community enthusiasm, and all for a fraction of the cost.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the smaller boards are near commodity status at this point, multiwii, cc3d, naze, sp racing f3, etc., etc., etc., you could almost pick one from a bag and get great results regardless of what you pulled out!

the not-quite-OpenPilot CC3D EVO that I'm flying on one 250 quad costs $16 from Banggood! I told a friend about it and said "Buy two" just in case you want another heli or a spare. Who ever said that about DJI or Mikrokopter?

3DR sold their systems at affordable prices so they're somewhere in the middle but maybe leaving the market if your observations play out

Last edited by a moderator:

Mactadpole

Not sure if you have seen the blog post by Chris Anderson over on DIYD about this topic? But he clearly states, "In particular, we will continue to offer Pixhawk-compatible autopilots, with improved versions designed in cooperation with partners. And autopilots continue to be a core focus of 3DR, with exciting new platforms coming in 2016." He goes on to say in the comments that it will be for several years.

So it sounds like 3DR is at least committed to "Stand Alone" FC's for several years.

FerdinandK

I have not seen any product to be discontinued (only the DJI ACE one which was not really a bestseller, and it still does work, only if you buy a new Laptop the groundstation-software will no longer work).

But if all stand alone FC vanish, we will take 3 gyros, and an acc (possibly start with the old MWii sources) and we are back in the game. If they vanish it is simply because the lack of demand.

To be honest, it is easy for me to write that since I have enough FCs for the rest of my life at home, but is was always clear to me, that I also will have to keep the old laptop (to be able to set it up).

best regards
Ferdinand

fmkit

any BG controller can be converted to FC and vice versa, I have EvvGC boards controlling RC car and flying wing , also NAZE32 can stabilize 1 axis BG if 6wires (PWM, FETs gates) connected to ESC that had its controller removed

cootertwo

Yes, I have enough of the "old" stuff, to open a hobby shop! And enough "old" computers to set them up. Ha! I still get a sick feeling in my stomach every time I go out to my barn and look at my 5 "old" nitro copters growing dust, and realizing the $$$ I put into them. Heck, I even have an original Kyosho Nexus!, 2 Caliber 30's, both with bigger engines than stock, and a Raptor 30 and Raptor 50 that isn't even broke in! Be lucky to get 25 cents on the dollar, so I keep them as wall hangers. And lets not talk about all the planks. I'll bet I have at least 4 or 5 of the old 4 channel 75mhz Futaba transmitters lying around here. Perhaps 50 years from now, they might wind up on "Antiques Road Show" Ahhh, the good ole days. When was the last time you heard someone ask "what channel you on?" Won't be long, and someone will come up with a helmet you put on your head, with brain sensors, and you fly with thought alone, no hands! BTW, I still contend that all this tech has come from another world than our own! ha ha ha

cootertwo

We're telling our ages. I sold a couple of old metal gold box Futabas on egay a few years ago! Couldn't believe someone wanted them. The Kraft's should be collectors items by now.