Phantom 3 PRO camera question

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I overheard a comment at the Toledo Weak Signals show that the Phantom 3's camera is nice because it has a flat lens unlike the GoPro's borderline fish-eye effect while using basically the same internals as the GoPro.

How does the Phantom 3 PRO camera achieve the flatter image if it's still 4K? I thought it was by cropping out the areas that contribute to the fisheye but then how would it still be 4K (4096x2160)? Is the actual sensor larger than 4K to allow cropping to 4K?

Trying to figure this out and getting a migraine.

Bart

econfly

I think it is the same integrated camera/lens as in the Inspire. This is all about the optics and not the sensor. Think of it as just and standard DSLR, like a GH4. You can attach a lens that is fisheye or you can attach on that is not. The GoPro just has a fisheye lens while the P3/Inspire use the same sensor but with a near-rectilinear lens system. You can take the lens off of a GoPro (with some effort) and screw in a lens that does not have the fisheye effect.

You can buy that same lens on alibaba for about $80. Some if the suppliers will let you buy a couple to try instead of ordering a minimum of 100.

Bartman

bart-people have swapped out the go pro lens as well for something with less distortion with decent results on a h33d/h4d. check youtube....http://ragecams.com/shop/41mm-flat-lens-gopro-hero33hero4-camera-line-p-591.html. theres a few options.

never been brave enough to do the swap.. i just use medium mode keep the gimbal straight as i can and its ok for what it is.

i swapped out the lens in my GoPro Hero (aka 1) when the original got scratched. never thought to do it to the 3 that I have.

Bartman

that looks pretty good @Darson Hall

it doesn't stick out very far so the balance probably is pretty close to what it was with the original in there.

synrg

One thing to consider before swapping out the GoPro lens to a 5.4mm besides cost is that it "magnifies" any vibrations/jello.
So based on his observations, sounds like P3 rectilinear 94 degree lens should be a better option...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Roto5411

Ordered a 5.4mm 10mp lens from Surveil Zone in January for $99. Did the install myself on my Hero 3+ Silver. It was dicey, but very gently used a pair of channel locks to get the old lens out (surprisingly the locksView attachment 24847 only left a few small marks on the outer ring of the lens). You have to pop out the outer plastic cover around the lens first. Once you break the seal, the original lens easily screws out. The Surveil Zone lens comes with a plastic locking ring. So you screw the new lens in until its in focus (while using bluetooth video transfer to a external screen), then tighten down the internal locking ring. I have been flying the camera now on an F550 in a Tarot T2D gimbal for about four months and the video quality is very good. Just checked, free shipping (takes several weeks, coming out of Hong Kong);
http://www.surveilzone.com/5.4mm-10-megapixel-board-lens-for-gopro-hero-3-m12-1-2.3-inch-cl1184
****Now having posted all the above....The easier route is just purchase a new Phantom 3 Professional. The camera quality is like WOW!!! Most stable aerial filming platform I own.

Attachments

• 20150528_235118_resized_1.jpg
    20150528_235118_resized_1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 382
Last edited by a moderator: