FPV options

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
As I am starting to do architectural photos I see the need for FPV to frame the shot. I think if you were using a super wide angle lens this is not necessary. But to get a non deformed image you need to frame the shot and that requires a few things. I don't need long range, maybe 1000'-2000' tops reliably in an open area. So here are 2 potential setups I have and am wondering what your experiences out there are.

1) fatshark with built in Rx and the matching Tx. 500mw in 5.8Ghz. This is the simplest/cheapest setup that would seem to fit my needs. The downside is that I cant look outside the goggles while flying, at least not easily. Is 5.8Ghz the better option now days over 900Mhz? 900 is supposed to be better at penetration.

2) Attach my 7" ext. monitor to the transmitter so i can always see both. Problems are that the sun is always shining at the subject so the screen is washed out with sunlight. Putting a dark box wouldnt work unless I was facing sideways or away from the subject. And if my head is covered, then I might as well go with the fatsharks. Ideally this would be a 2 person gig but thats not realistic.

The last issue is how to get signal to the Tx from my hdmi out on the Sony nex5n. I am thinking of giving the hdmi converter a go. I was told to just point the separate camera at the screen of the Sony but I am thinking for the same weight and less cost I can convert the signal to analog. Has anyone done this yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

plingboot

Have a watch of all these videos - this guy (IBCrazy) knows what he's talking about when it comes to antennas.

Having watched them myself the conclusion is, if you're in the UK and running 2.4ghz radio 5.8ghz is your best option for fpv.

5.8ghz also uses the smallest of the IBCrazy type antennas - if you go the fatshark route get a cloverleaf for the Tx and a skew planar wheel for the Rx.

The general consensus regarding 'monitoring' the feed is to use goggles (rather than an LCD) and ONLY look at the feed - trying to look at the feed and glance at the heli/plane is asking for disaster (apparently).

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I had my Draganflyer set up with a small screen that I could glance at when framing a shot...it's easier than you think to get the aim right. That was also without gps...if you have gps it should be a breeze.

Gunter.

Emowillcox

THat is some good information. You might also check with Juz who posts alot of super sweet FPV
videos on here.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
The general consensus regarding 'monitoring' the feed is to use goggles (rather than an LCD) and ONLY look at the feed - trying to look at the feed and glance at the heli/plane is asking for disaster (apparently).

I can't say I agree with this statement. I'm using Myvu 301 goggles and they're half sunglasses, half video goggles. I'm constantly going back and forth from the kopter to the goggles although I don't attempt to fly the kopter solely by reference to the FPV stream.