Garbage on APM CLI

Has anyone else had a problem with an APM 2.5 or 2.6 where when connecting via CLI on the terminal tab, it just returns non stop garbage and doesn't let you do any set up, tests or download logs? I will admit that it isn't a 3dr made board. I have used rctimer boards in the past though and they have worked fine. Its a board from china but is the second, from different buyers, that has done this.

Here is a video of what it does...

Surely the hardware is the same, is there a way of getting it work? Thanks.

dazzab

I've seen this before with 3DR APMs. I really can't remember how I dealt with it. I think that I just restarted it and hit enter a few times while it was starting up. It might have something to do with getting some keyboard input at the right time in the boot process. Sorry I can't remember the details but it really was just a case of hitting enter a few times.

dazzab

Ok so there may be some hope for a full life yet? What do you mean by restarting, just power cycling it?
Yes. Before the garbage comes up slowy hit Enter a few times and see if you get the command prompt. BTW, the CLI was removed in some versions to save space. I've lost track of when. What is it you are trying to do from within a CLI? I think most everything can be done from the GUI now.

Ok thanks, I will give it a try when I get the chance and get back after. I primarily need to connect to access logs and on occasions use it to help fault find.

dazzab

You can access the logs, download and graph them, from tabs below the Heads Up Display in the Flight Data screen of Mission Planner. I'm sure the other GCS programs have the same capability.

Thank you, that is useful. I wasnt aware that you could download them in that way. I have given it a number of tries hitting enter when restarting CLI but havnt had any luck, will keep playing and see if I can achieve any success.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I assume you have upgraded to AC3.2 recently?

CLI is deprecated for AC3.2 on APM-class hardware, as a requirement due to lack of memory for other more important features.

I guess that may well be it. The APM I have where CLI still works must just be running older firmware. I will check that I can download the logs from my seemingly faulty board through the mission planner HUD, if that works I guess it is problem solved.