DJI Phantom No Fly Zones

Javajack

Java Post Aerial Photo
I did a search for this topic and was surprised to not find any other discussion, so thought I'd start a new topic.

We run an aerial photography division with several UAVs. I am a certified UAV pilot and we hold a Transport Canada blanket license for UAV operation, including ATC control zones. Recently we purchased a Phantom 2 with the 3 axis gimbal for doing lower budget jobs such as real estate advertising, who can't afford a two person crew and where 4K acquisition is overkill.

Yesterday I did our first flight with our Phantom 2 and was amazed with the quality we got from the new 3 axis gimbal. My biggest disappointment was the no fly zone restriction. I was shooting a house about 1.6 miles from the airport and I could only get the Phantom to 3 meters off the ground. We are certified to fly at the airport and in fact we have a contract there and have been shooting at our international airport for a year. We work with Nav Canada and we actually fly while jets are flying as this is the level of trust we've established here. I actually monitored pilots on my VHF radio who were landing and commenting on our UAV flying across the apron of the airport and the tower explaining that photography was being done for the new construction.

Anyway, it's obvious we are qualified to shoot in these areas, yet DJI won't allow me to take my Phantom within 1.5 miles and outside the 1.5 miles I have such an altitude restriction I can't properly photograph houses. I've done some searches about removing this altitude restriction but can't find much so I thought I'd post something here. Can anyone help me with this, installing old firmware or something? I've sent a note to DJI tech support and don't know if I'll get an answer or an answer that I'm happy with. Would really like to resolve this so I can fly the Phantom in the same air space we are doing all our other work.

Thanks,

Jack Tunnicliffe
www.javapost.ca

SJBrit

The only way you can get around that on the Phantom FC is to roll back your firmware. There are a bunch of threads on the Phantom Pilots site about that. I think I'm still at 1.8 on my Phantom (haven't used it in months so I can't remember exactly). That was back before they started messing with no-fly zones, speed restrictions, descent rate restrictions and all that jazz. I think 1.8 is about the most stable firmware which was pre "dumb-ass modes."

Or, you can drop a full Naza V2 FC in there - it's a simple drop in replacement except that you will also need the LED unit from the Naza too, but that's easy enough to attach. You don't need the Naza PMU or GPS since that's all built into the main board on the Phantom.

Javajack

Java Post Aerial Photo
Hey, thanks for the speedy response. I was wondering the same, just dropping a Naza V2 into it. Do you have the older version 2 assistant software? I think we need that to try and install older firmware.

SJBrit

Yes, you have to go back and get an older version of the Phantom Assistant to roll it back. I've never done it, but there are a bunch of people who have. Try phantompilots.com (with apologies to the admins here for off-site links).

Javajack

Java Post Aerial Photo
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/11/27/faa-collisions-between-drones-and-airliners-spike/

the above would be why dji put in the no fly zones software.
probably going to be seeing more companies following suit.

Ah, yes, Fox news, the Micky Mouse of journalism in the world. The same news gathering agency that told us Amazon would be delivering all their products utilizing autonomous drones early next year. If you want all the hype about drones, just keep watching Fox.

We all know there are tons of idiots doing stupid things out there. As I stated, we are certified to fly at airports with UAVs and we have done so many times. What I am looking for is a solution to back out out of DJI's no fly zone imposed control system which doesn't make sense for responsible professionals with a job to do.

Javajack

Java Post Aerial Photo
You may need to roll back to something a bit later than 1.8 for the H3-3D to work
Yes, it looks like we need to be at 2.0. I found the assistant on a German copter site last night. We're going to try and do this today. I'll post results.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Ah, yes, Fox news, the Micky Mouse of journalism in the world. The same news gathering agency that told us Amazon would be delivering all their products utilizing autonomous drones early next year. If you want all the hype about drones, just keep watching Fox.

LOL! You forgot "Anti-American" and "traitorous", but you're from Canada so I guess for you those terms of endearment don't apply. You sir, are my new "hero O' the week."

mongo

lost soul
CBS version http://www.cbsnews.com/news/federal...-reports-of-drones-interfering-with-aircraft/
ABC version http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/11/drone-close-calls-near-airports-prompts-faa-action/

they all have the same info, but fox has a search engine that actually works.

and for myself, i am glad that a mfgr is being proactive about limiting where and how high these things fly. especially for the hobbyist level of equipment. if ya wana be a professional at this, buy professional grade equipment, not hobbyist grade. then ya get all the bells, functions, and whistles.

Old Man

Sorry, but if you're flying a DJI product at a full scale airport you haven't done your due diligence. Especially with a Phantom. Your first "fly away" will be the end of your operating waiver. Might want to stay in manual modes, or build a small something or other using a different FC that employs a 2 or 3 axis gimbal.