CS8 to X8 conversion - Herkules ESC III V3

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Mombasa no I haven't had them in the air yet. I didn't even fly with the original DJI ones yet. But i have seen from a friend that he is having vibration issues on his s800 when the original S800 retraces are retracted ! I wasnt aware that the Secraft would also suffer from that ! :(

Thanks for the warning I will have to think of some security measures to not have mine collapse on me ! Once i finally have the frame setup completly i will be testing that and i will get back to you, see if i have the same issue !

Finally have all my carbon parts, the parts suck though. Getting them but from the water jet guy wasn't a good idea :(

View attachment 9992View attachment 9993View attachment 9994View attachment 9995

3d printed vibration isolations thingis seem to work nicely up to now lets see them once put to the test. End of this week i think it will be finally in the air !

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 283
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 313
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 441
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 379

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... when the original S800 retraces are retracted ! I wasnt aware that the Secraft would also suffer from that ! ...

The Secraft retracts do not appear to be a problem when retracted, i.e. when they are up and the legs are horizontal. It is when they are in the down position that they pick up the vibrations and then shake around a bit, making it worse. The startup issue is intermittent. Most of the time the legs will stay put when powered up, but every now and then they will activate. Secraft must be aware because they include a small note with the v3 Pro retracts that advises powering the Rx before the Tx - entirely opposite to what is considered safe operating practice.

Looking at the pics of your X8 I am wondering what advantages that particular configuration holds over the flat eight. I see the wind cutting advantage but not much else. The weight saving of four carbon booms is not significant and it does not strike me as being overly AP friendly because the lower front props will restrict upwards gimbal tilt. Motor redundancy will be maintained but overall lifting grunt will be slightly reduced.

Do the lower props spin in the opposite to, or the same direction as the top props? If they are opposite, does this induce a degree of vibration cancellation?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
@ Ryan Hmm in my eyes it wouldnt make any sense. The Motor wires are in the Carbon tubes and that Schuld be enough! I Never had issues with the Company for Exempel Boeing effected. I also dont braid the wires like crazy couple turns thats it! For the Tabs it makes sense since the wires needed protection.

@ mombassa. The only reason why I went for an x8 config is because of the size (wanna have the option of 16 17 inch props without going over 100 cm diameter) and I heard from several that x8 in combo with wkm performs a lot better than a flat wkm octo. There is no other advantage over a flat octo. The weight safed is lost again by the low props being in the wash of the upper props.

Concerning seecraft think I will just build in a remote relay or a normal 5a remote switch should work. Two switches on the radio one to activate the circuit and another one to operate the retrace. With some additonal function in the radio that it can only be activated at a certain throttle level.

Japp top spin left bottom right so actually they all spin in the same direction ! Vibration cancelation I can't say

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... I will just build in a remote relay or a normal 5a remote switch should work ...

Good idea. I might give them one more chance. Just have to find a way to reduce the vibes.

I have the retract activation set up with logic switching whereby two conditions have to be met before they can operate, Atti/GPS Atti + 360 gimbal mode. I will activate the relay with a similar arrangement - if I can find a spare radio channel. I'm already using fourteen!

Secraft makes another variant on the v3 Pro Retracts for other airframes. Each retract assy clamps onto gear rails with a very sturdy looking bracket. Much more robust than the S800 version with those puny turnbuckle stays that are not quite long enough, bend easily and get in the way of the LiPo tray.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I am liking the assembly Boris. Nice and clean with none that horrible ugly mess of wires, insulating tape and tie-wraps with ESC's hanging off every boom that many seem to be satisfied with.

I am curious how those twin-spring mount dampers will fare. The Longitudinal (X) Roll axis is well supported with them being at an angle but I would like to see if they cope with the Lateral (Y) Tilt axis. I had first assumed that there were four of these angled spring dampers but a few photos later I realised there are only two.

Do you have the Hercules ll or lll in there?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Mombasa, sorry the pics are crap ! There are four of them. The pictures below should show it better :

View attachment 11610View attachment 11611View attachment 11612View attachment 11613 View attachment 11614

I am using the Herks III, still have three boards of the Herk II in my setups with no problems. But for HL setups for sure the Version III is the way to go !
By the way the secrafts are working out fine, but I installed a remote relay to go sure. So i power the servos in flight and than I
give the command to retrace !

Boris

(edit) I had a gopro hard mounted on the clean zone and had no vibrations. Im gonna do some more test before I am going to mount the Zenmuse though just to go sure and i can finally say what they are worth those isolators. They are not cheap though think around 70 $ a piece. I have selfmade ones though from the 3d printer that i am also gonna test based on wire dampening.

Attachments

• P1010092.jpg
    P1010092.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 268
  • P1010091.jpg
    P1010091.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 241
  • P1010090.jpg
    P1010090.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 224
  • P1010089.jpg
    P1010089.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 246
  • P1010088.jpg
    P1010088.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 225

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
@boris kann man die Entkopplung erwerben bei dir?! Wie zufrieden bist du !? Sieht sehr vielversprechend aus! Was nutzt du für gains ? Mein kleiner ist sehr schnippig, Welche Props setzt zu ein Xoar 15x5?
... Gains unter 200 .??

My Project ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Herkules-III-Brushless-ESC/166145573526857

Danke und Gruß

Marcell

Hi Marcell hätte nicht die Zeit was zu verkaufen weil ich einfach keinen support geben kann, bzw. schon Schwierigkeiten habe zeitlich die Sachen für mich zu produzieren. Der ganze kopter kommt aber aus dem CAD mehre oder weniger also files kannst haben habe ich kein Problem damit und dampners kann ich dir einen link schicken, aber lass Sie mich erst ausführlich testen ob sie gut sind !

Lg

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Motor wires routed from the boom through this little plastic holder construction so no shrink wrap need protect them from the edges of the carbon tubes.

View attachment 11617

All motorwires are soldered on directly to the Herks. Didnt want additional connectors, just another spot were something can go wrong.

View attachment 11615View attachment 11616

Attachments

• P1010096.jpg
    P1010096.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 235
  • P1010095.jpg
    P1010095.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 224
  • P1010094.jpg
    P1010094.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 229

zellevision

Freelance
Hi guys, spent some time reading this thread and really need your expertice :)
(edit: saw late that this is a DJI thread, sorry, but its not really about DJI or MK, just witch FW to load :) )
My setup:
CS8 HL upgraded, 55 boms
MK FC 2.1 and nav kit (latest FW)
Tiger MT3515-12
Herkules III v3

Weight without payload about 7kg, planning it for RED, so with payload should it should be around 12kg
Had few testflights with CX730 are not happy with its behavior, to jittery at hover, not as stable as my CS6 was before upgrade. Now I want to get to the bottom of this. Got the latest FW with telemetry support for MK from Andreas. Anyhows, what FW should I put in?
As usual there are 3 diff timing versiones, and no manual witch one to use.

ADV12, ADV18 or ADV24, ideas? AFW on or off?
Also there is one more folder, for telemetry, called telemetry_sensor/hott with the file: "Hott_HK_Tele_v18.acy" Cant find anything usefull on Andreas homie, nor rest of the internet :).

Any advice?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi guys, spent some time reading this thread and really need your expertice :)
(edit: saw late that this is a DJI thread, sorry, but its not really about DJI or MK, just witch FW to load :) )
My setup:
CS8 HL upgraded, 55 boms
MK FC 2.1 and nav kit (latest FW)
Tiger MT3515-12
Herkules III v3

Weight without payload about 7kg, planning it for RED, so with payload should it should be around 12kg
Had few testflights with CX730 are not happy with its behavior, to jittery at hover, not as stable as my CS6 was before upgrade. Now I want to get to the bottom of this. Got the latest FW with telemetry support for MK from Andreas. Anyhows, what FW should I put in?
As usual there are 3 diff timing versiones, and no manual witch one to use.

ADV12, ADV18 or ADV24, ideas? AFW on or off?
Also there is one more folder, for telemetry, called telemetry_sensor/hott with the file: "Hott_HK_Tele_v18.acy" Cant find anything usefull on Andreas homie, nor rest of the internet :).

Any advice?

Zellvision for your MT3515-12 USE ADV18 with AFW on !
You think jittery becuase of the Herks or the FC ?

Concerning the Tele board sorry i cant help you didnt get one yet !

Regards

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I wonder how many RED cameras have been smashed up to date?

I am always tempted to get a bigger cam. Was on the black magic page checking and close to getting the 4k version. But just like I cant jump over my shadow to buy a expensive car, i settled with the pocket version !

elossam

Use AF1 (on) and 24 advance. The Hott file is the firm of the telemetry board to be used with graupner hott tx to get direct reading of the telemetry the same way you got with the MK version in case someone uses other boards different as MK.