price difference?

pepper

Hello guys,
Very new here but in the small search that I've done. Whats the different between the top of the line (DJI) multi's vs some of the (eBay) ones? They seem to be almost built the same. Is the quality of carbon different? Like most, I'm limited on funds but want the best quality in parts. Is there a multi that can lift SLR's that won't break the bank?

Thanks!
Pepper

Ronan

Hello guys,
Very new here but in the small search that I've done. Whats the different between the top of the line (DJI) multi's vs some of the (eBay) ones? They seem to be almost built the same. Is the quality of carbon different? Like most, I'm limited on funds but want the best quality in parts. Is there a multi that can lift SLR's that won't break the bank?

Thanks!
Pepper

Like in everything in life, you pay for what you get. If you go chinese kit like Tarot and assemble/test everything yourself, you save a lot of money. Take a look at the T810/T960 if you want to lift a small DSLR and not break the bank.

Another option is DJI S900, it's price reduction when bought with a good flight controller like the A2 and/or WKM is amazing.

Of course, none of those are options if you aren't already flying multirotors. Get something small/cheap and practice, practice and practice!

kloner

Aerial DP
Limited on funds,,,, that's not a good way to lift a big heavy camera..... i'd move back just a tad and get familiar with something cheap to fix. These big helis are $$$ to repair and the power and weights they fly at can cause some pretty serious damage to anything it would hit. go fly a hero and figure out a)how to fly b)how to reliably make that rig get clean footage c)learn to do it reliably, then your ready to move on up. Theres no since in putting hundreds of hours on a big expensive risky rig when the same skill set can/needs to be built can totaly be done on something cheap, light, throw away type rig

i'd be looking towards 1100mm+ for those kinds of weights past hovering in protected areas..... in this range i'm partial to hexacrafters.... i'd go u7 with 18" props once

pepper

Yea. I started out with a Trex 800 with a Photoshop gimble. I was messing with a new tail servo and I had gotten the setting wrong. Tail went out about 5 feet above the ground. So.... I'm just going to build it back into a regular heli and buy a multi. I've been flying RC for over 10 yrs and I've been an actual pilot (airplane &heli) for over 12. Not to worried about being able to fly the ship. Just don't want to waste money on something. Being a heli pilot I really wanted to stick with that but I now know that I should have bought a heli.
I should have been more clear on budget. I seen some frames that were like 6 grand. Can't remember the name of the company. I don't have a problem paying that. IF its worth it. Seeing some other kits that seem to be built the same at 800 bucks just got me wondering what the real difference is. I don't want to pay for a "name" and I love finding those new and upcoming small companies that are building great products at s good cost. I'd rather support them. But I do plan on using my SL1 before I mount my 5D. Just in case. ;)

kloner

Aerial DP
that camera is safely flown on airframes like Skyjib 8, Cinestar 8, Hexacrafter 1100, etc. it's the most expensive size to buy like your trex 800 was.... like srh were starting to get better and better stuff in higher and higher voltages with lower kv's than ever now. Some combos are touchy to what motors are used with what esc's and you'll want to go all out on props like cf tigers.

just the lipos on something like this are $250 and up ea. props are right at $60 ea, motors are $120-$150 ea, esc's are $80 ea, frames are $2-$3k, 3 axis so needs retracts or a landing gear of some sort..... another $600-$1200.... gimbals are another $1500-$5k

this is hexacrafter 1100 on u7 with 18" props, 20 amp hours of 6s, hexacrafter gimbal and SuperX flight controller

DJI flight controllers are like Align 3g was when it came out, hard to deal with learning to fly when the flight controller has a mind of it's own. And that's with there latest greatest stuff. There motors/esc's are the same junk,,,, just not a high enough quality to be counted on, too small to have any real overhead to maintain a safe flight envelope in varrying conditions....

skyjib8 with a light red epic...

if you had to buy DJI and your not looking at the 1000 that is the only one you should be concerned with cause the rest of there offerings are way to small and underpowered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronan

Yea. I started out with a Trex 800 with a Photoshop gimble. I was messing with a new tail servo and I had gotten the setting wrong. Tail went out about 5 feet above the ground. So.... I'm just going to build it back into a regular heli and buy a multi. I've been flying RC for over 10 yrs and I've been an actual pilot (airplane &heli) for over 12. Not to worried about being able to fly the ship. Just don't want to waste money on something. Being a heli pilot I really wanted to stick with that but I now know that I should have bought a heli.
I should have been more clear on budget. I seen some frames that were like 6 grand. Can't remember the name of the company. I don't have a problem paying that. IF its worth it. Seeing some other kits that seem to be built the same at 800 bucks just got me wondering what the real difference is. I don't want to pay for a "name" and I love finding those new and upcoming small companies that are building great products at s good cost. I'd rather support them. But I do plan on using my SL1 before I mount my 5D. Just in case. ;)

In that case, take a look at Tarot. They have sturdy high quality frames, that doesn't come with an apple pricing.

But honestly... DJI S900 + FC + gimbal and you are set. The price difference on that specific frame is insane. Lifts a small DSLR for 15 minutes. If you are going bigger (like a 5D) then i would get the S1000 but it's pretty overpriced.

pepper

Awesome guys!! I really appreciate the info! I will look into them. Seen a website , goodluckbuddy, but I got s feeling to stay away from those guys.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
IMHO - Crashes and sometimes fly-aways will happen and are so much easier to tolerate with less expensive systems. After one or two big rig crashes repair time goes up sharply with a corresponding reduction in your available flying time. Also the thrill of flying is quickly replaced with a perpetual sense of dread of another crash.... Aerial camera work with cameras larger than a GoPro is a major handful...... but great if you can get there....

pepper

Oh man I know. I finally had to just admit its going to happen and move on. I use to lose my temper over crashes! Blamed it on everything but myself. I teach skydiving and broke everything in my left leg hitting a ditch under canopy. It took that to realize sh!t happens and move on. Lol.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I don't have the experience that some on these forums, but I'm getting there. I'm in my 2nd year and have spent way more time & money than I meant to. I have built 4 MR's with 4 different flight controllers.. I have 9 cameras of which my hacked gh2 is my test camera, gh3 and gh4 are my main camera's for video, and gh4 and 5d mark ii for photo's, although I don't us the 5d much.

That being said, I bought 2 kits, and built the other frames myself out of parts. Using adobe illustrator, drill press and a band saw. I fly a x8 with rectangle arms (easier to keep engines aligned) for my main large rig and like it. Use kde 3520 (they work with more ESC's than the higher pole motors which results in a whole lot less stress and crashes).

I'm happy with my rigs but am constantly trying new things.

That being said, if I were starting over, this is what I'd do. Buy a f450 with gopro gimbal, (either the DYS 3 axis gopro or DJI's if the extra money wasn't an issue) with the V2 Naza & GPS. That would be my fly the crap out of it have fun and get lots of flying time in. Alternative would be DYS gimbal with Pixhawk if I wanted more features.

Then I'd probably buy the DJI 900 with either a Naza V2 or Wookong. I'd fly that with a gh4 and if wanted better photo's, I'd sell the 5d and buy a 6d (photos are the same, video isn't). 6d weighs 26.7 or 755 grams (body only) and 5d mark ii is 956g/ 33.7 grams. GH4 is 560g/ 19.75oz. I'd check with peeps on the DJI 900 and see what they think on the weight difference. I'm guessing your ok. I'd buy a $800 or so camera gimbal with Alexmos 32 bit board and use that for a bit and then if the Phobotic controller works out, put that on it.

Alternatively, I'd build another x8 or hex with square arms or buy a frame kit with square arms. There are plenty out there. I went with Avroto's 3515 and KDE 3520's which I'd stick with as there aren't ESC / SYNC issues that are all over the internet with guys falling out of the sky wrecking expensive cameras and rigs. I'm not sure I'm right on this, but when I check flight times and voltage on Ecalc, there doesn't seem to be much difference.

If money weren't an big issue, to save time, I buy one of the sturdier frame kits and build it out myself. Again, I'm fond of square or rectangle arms. Which means only a handful of frame types.

One issue you need to figure out before building/buying a kit (which isn't an issue on the DJI 900 as it already has retracts) is if you want 360 degree on you gimbal. Then it's' either retracts or a revolving landing gear. This takes some thought as it adds to the weight and you need to figure out lifting capacity with your all up weight. AUW... DJI 900 is easy, cause it's ready to go. Just add a gimbal.

I'd be looking at Hexcrafter (on the high end of frames), Sort of high end, but less expensive would be VulcanUAV (aluminium rectangular arms, easy to customize) or Carbon Core (fiber carbon rectangular arms). If I were to go with round 25mm carbon fiber frame, I'd look at Quad Frame USA (if your are in the USA). If I were to add another MR to my fleet right now, I'd either custom build another with square arms and cutting my own plates and motor mounts or buy a quad frame.

There are lots of people using the Tarot frames, so I certainly would consider that. Just would take a lot of googling and asking questions.

Motors, flight controller, and ESC's are also going to take up a lot of your time on research..

In my case, I fly more minutes on the smaller quad with go pro. I sometimes I marvel at the footage when the go pro isn't tested on exposure. I've seen some pretty good footage out of that and sometimes I wonder why I spend so much time and money on the bigger units. I like the better quality and the stability of the bigger units in the wind, but it is more stressful to fly. If you go with a DJI naza on a small unit, I'd probably go with the DJI gimbal as I've seen some nice footage.

Have fun. Lots of decisions.

Ronan

IMHO - Crashes and sometimes fly-aways will happen and are so much easier to tolerate with less expensive systems. After one or two big rig crashes repair time goes up sharply with a corresponding reduction in your available flying time. Also the thrill of flying is quickly replaced with a perpetual sense of dread of another crash.... Aerial camera work with cameras larger than a GoPro is a major handful...... but great if you can get there....

Whole bunch you can do (not in any particular order):
#1 Have more than 1 rig.
#2 Proper pre-flight check.
#3 Insurance for liability & the rig(s).
#4 If something doesn't feel right, bring the rig down & check everything.
#5 Know how to fly manual.

I think those should be mandatory when flying larger, much more expensive rigs!

Ronan

Man. You said something I have been wondering about. Insurance... Do u insure it though home?

I have a business insurance for liability and i use kloner's recommendation to insure the airframe/camera/etc.

I don't have the name on the top of my head though...

Rickey

Owner of RT Aerial Videos
Interested in your insurance providers... I haven't been able to track down someone to write just a simple general business policy for me. I have the Aerial side covered through costello insurance association but they won't cover me if I bump into to someones vase on their porch and it tips over and breaks.... Their policy just covers what the multi rotor hits and damages...

Rickey

Owner of RT Aerial Videos
my 1,000,000 is 995 per year thats for a smaller quadcopter lifting a gopro. 500,000 was 600 I think. Only issue is I haven't found a company to write the general business policy to cover me or my crew.... and my client is requiring this before we can start....
Im in Houston Texas if that helps anyone reading this...

pepper

I am in Texarkana , North of you. that's the price they gave me. I have talked to a few others about insurance and have gotten a few quote.

pepper

for costello, yes. a few others have different plans. Goin through them now. to see which is the best. but hell, I don't pay this much for my supped up R1 that is a death trap! lol