parts list - what do you think ..... be honest please (Aus HK site)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Couple things...

i would suggest choosing another PDB or making/soldering your own squid. The one you chose have out on me causing damage and lost $. Also, probably worth finding some decent props (and a bunch of them of you are new to flying!). Anything by APC or HQPROPS would be an improvement over the cheap HK props - which have been known to come apart mid-flight.

Which motors are you planning on using? You list 2 rather different choices.

Have fun and fly safe.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Hey MM,

Perhaps a little info from you on what you want this quad for would help point you in the right direction.

If you were after something to learn with and wanted something around the 450 size then I would choose somewhat differently from the frame all the way through the list.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks for the input so far guys .....
Motor Turnigy Multistar 4822-570Kv 22Pole probably

Longer term after learning I want a beast that will allow for some camera work hence the powerful motors. So is there merit in small and cheap and then a complete new build or ..... build with these or similar components which are over powered and then improve frame etc?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for the input so far guys .....
Motor Turnigy Multistar 4822-570Kv 22Pole probably

Longer term after learning I want a beast that will allow for some camera work hence the powerful motors. So is there merit in small and cheap and then a complete new build or ..... build with these or similar components which are over powered and then improve frame etc?

i have found found that a fresh build aiming for your new goals (filming vs learning etc) is best, so you're not tied to trying to make something work that just doesn't for your needs.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Ok great so .... learning:
250 or 450 sized?
escs and motors?
frame?

what would you recommend to learn with?

For ease of build, it's hard to beat the DJI packages. An F450 frame and their motors/ESCs (or equivalent) seem to be decent. Cheap to replace parts, and the design aspect has been taken care of for you already. Pretty flexible in terms of being as to strap some light stuff on (FPV, gopro etc). You can get the cost down a bit if you go with alternate motors and ESCs, just matching the specs.

I don't know much about the 250 class - but they seem like a ton of fun.

Remember that the first build needs to include some extras as well including soldering iron, heat shrink, connectors, batteries, charger, servo wires, etc. make sure you factor that in to your first budget.

I would suggest building a 4S machine if possible, and if you plan on continuing with the hobby. You'll want them sooner than later.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Unless you start with a 250 size, 3S is plenty for most flyers, 4S is better for the 450 though.

All fantastic info - thanks. I have various 'bits' for building and some 'stuff' so the little things like connectors (xt-60) and 3.5mm bullets and soldering iron, heat shrink etc. etc.

It's good to get the knowledge before commiting to expense. So 450 size and the 3 and 4 cell batteries will do nicely ... I'll look into the DJI gear too.

Again thanks.