Batteries running hot after flight.

Dixon

I am flying with the Zippy 30c 5s 8000mah battery. As of late I have replaced both esc's and motors on my Cinstar 6.
The motors I have now are Sunnysky's-4010/kv450 and the esc's are Range Video 60a. This combination seems to cause
the batteries to run hot to the touch and also get puffy. The previous motor (3508 T-motor/kv360) and esc (Maytech 45a opto)
combo left the batteries warm to the touch.

Any thoughts?
Dixon

kloner

Aerial DP
heat is an indication of being over discharged knowingly or unknowingly. it could also indicate not enough c rating to supply the task at hand. Internal Resistance rises and is damage that makes the cells loose c rating and capacity. an 8000 turns into a 6000 in a flight or two. keeping them storage levels/ nice and cool when not used helps alot, never leave them in a car, keep in the coolest room in the house, avoid direct sunlight unless your flying

Dixon

I am using 14 4.5 APC's and lifting 8.4 lbs
I also used Tarrot carbon 1455 props lifting the same weight.
The batteries heated up with both sets of props

Quinton

I am using 14 4.5 APC's and lifting 8.4 lbs
I also used Tarrot carbon 1455 props lifting the same weight.
The batteries heated up with both sets of props

I am no expert but I have started to pick up a lot here on the forums the past year..8.4lbs is your all up weight including the MR or you are trying to lift 8.4lbs (3.8kg) underneath it?

Like kloner said, if your batteries are getting hot its not a good sign, heat can lead to damage.
If anything a motor or an ESC should get warm before a battery, they may just be really crap batteries.

At 65% your motor should lift about 1120g and 2080 at 100% at 17.4A with 5S

Your battery should be able to deliver 240A continuous if it is 30C, (which I highly doubt it is) if its getting warm.
Your larger ESC shouldnt really matter, its just adding more weight.

You probably have a bad battery or its on its way out if its heating up, is it old or can you check its IR with your charger?
Personally I think its really important to have telemetry when you are flying, then you can see whats going on.
Now if you are trying to lift 8.4lbs underneath your MR that could be a different story.

Dixon

Good information, I am not the best at maintaining storage levels for the batteries but they are kept in a storage room that runs about 78-80 degrees and never exposed to sunlight.
I not sure if it's a storage problem or a mechanical problem. The fact that they started acting up just after the change out make me suspicious mechanically.

Quinton

Good information, I am not the best at maintaining storage levels for the batteries but they are kept in a storage room that runs about 78-80 degrees and never exposed to sunlight.
I not sure if it's a storage problem or a mechanical problem. The fact that they started acting up just after the change out make me suspicious mechanically.

Your other motors drew 11.2A at 100%, these ones are are 17.4A
They should not have been hot even with your other setup..they sound like really old or crap batteries, don't think its much to do with your setup unless you are trying to carry 8.4 lbs underneath.

Dixon

My all up weight is 11.5lbs but I have just been working with 8.4lbs while testing the new motor and esc combination. The 2 batteries I have used running these test have both ran hot at this reduced weight.
With the old esc's and motors and at full weight of 11.5lbs the batteries were just warm to the touch.

Any Thoughts,
Dixon

Dixon

I have 8 batteries but they are all the same. I have the HItec multi-charger X4 AC plus, not sure if it has the ability to check IR.

kloner

Aerial DP
do you have anything that'll measure the difference in voltage between cells? like the balance mode of your charger....... that also grows as ir leaves....