Wrecked F550 (w/ pic), need to upgrade for more payload!

I have(had) a F550 with a Futaba T8J.

I had a 6000 mah battery on it, a Canon EOSM (400 grams) with a 12mm Rokinon F2.0 lens (400 grams). AUW was somewhere around 2000 grams. I have a 600 gram gimbal that I've wanted to fly with but it's just too heavy and can't justify risking it.

The last several flights I've had when coming down, it would oscillate like crazy, most when it got about 10-15 feet off the ground. I would throw it out of gps mode and go into altitude mode and if that didn't correct, full manual. It was only on decent. And I was conscious about coming down slowly so I'm not sure why it kept happening...

9fNvO3F.png

Needless to say I need a new bird.

The motors are fine (I think), but I want to upgrade those anyway. I hope I can reuse the ESC's on my next one as I don't know how to tune it (yet). I want a bigger frame that can take 11's or 12's and fold up.

What would you do in this case? I see those cool fold up frames, not sure if any of them are any good, but they look cool and would make sense.

min0nim

I don't think I'd use those ESC's on a bigger bird. Just get a known good combination. People here will help with programming them (if required).

You don't need to ditch all of your frame if you want. You could use AerialMob's arm kit (http://aerialmob.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=7), and then grab some bigger motors to run 11" props, which should lift your camera, lens and gimbal fairly well.

To be honest, I'd be working on this one until you're confident the same thing wouldn't happen on a bigger, heavier, more expensive machine.

Right now I have a 550 modified to 650 with Aimdroix extended arms. They are made to use 12"props. With the 690kv motors that I have at 50% it will have about 4800 grams of thrust, should be enough to fly with the equipment you have. So probably you can use most of your setup. On my Hex I had to downgrade to 10" because with the 12" it was too overpower because I have not installed the gimbal yet.

kloner

Aerial DP
it's barely enough to get by with a gimbaled hero....

you want a 800 class rig for payload that big.... 40mm motors, 15"+ props, 6s power.... like a nex weight, right?