Which gimbal would you choose in a pinch?

PCMAerial

Hello all. Another thread here about gimbals. Hoping to catch some advice that may steer me in the right direction while I'm in a pinch out of town. Currently I am flying a 550 frame for AP work. My cameras are a Sony Nex5(PHOTO/VIDEO), and a GoPro Hero 3+(PHOTO).

Recently I bought a 2 axis gimbal that works very good for my Nex5 handheld, but it makes my copter vibrate in the air. Suspecting the payload is too high for my rig so I hard mount the Nex5 for photos ONLY. The gimbal is collecting dust. Today got the call for video within the next week while I'm in town, and it needs to be smooth. So now I'm leaning towards the GoPro. I have seen VERY good footage from the GoPro/Gimbal setup. But which gimbal to choose?

The Zenmuse looks nice with it's RTF setup and capability. Is it worth the price? I would be ordering WHICHEVER gimbal in 1-2 day shipping to have it in the air ASAP.

Anyone used the witespy gimbals? As good as ZEN? What would you do. I have only a few days, and luckily a mailbox and amazon prime. Thanks for the help!

daruq

Yes, I think DJI H3-3D is your only choice here for the GoPro. Full size Zenmuse for your Nex 5 will be too heavy for F550.

PCMAerial

Yes, I think DJI H3-3D is your only choice here for the GoPro. Full size Zenmuse for your Nex 5 will be too heavy for F550.

I figured something must be wrong. I spent countless hours researching and building my newest rig. And the Nex5/Gimbal setup is just a bit too heavy for my 2212 motors. Right now this project is VERY pressing so I need the quickest option that is going to give me vibration free video.

I can pull off a GoPro for the production, does anyone know if the Zenmuse can be mounted to rails? I feel like direct mount to the MR will cause vibration?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
+1 on the zenmuse. I've tried 3 gimbals for gopro, and without any doubt the h3-2d (haven't tried 3rd axis) was the best. After messing for hours with gimbal tuning the zenmuse actually seems (dare I say) miraculous :)

good luck with the shoot.

PCMAerial

+1 on the zenmuse. I've tried 3 gimbals for gopro, and without any doubt the h3-2d (haven't tried 3rd axis) was the best. After messing for hours with gimbal tuning the zenmuse actually seems (dare I say) miraculous :)

good luck with the shoot.

This is true. Zenmuse has been the most stable after working on a Zen vs BGC Diy setup. Except..

Currently my Zenmuse is a paperweight. Can't use it until I figure out how to
1.) Connect to X1 channel for tilt
2.) Horizon is not level. Working on that

Boggled my mind for weeks trying to link this X1 channel to my gimbal and STILL no luck at all. Contacted dealer and DJI 5 days ago waiting on a response. Although the gimbal seems to function otherwise. Just NO X1 commands anywhere.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I understand the frustration of not getting the DJI connection to work - but you could always trigger the pitch/tilt from the RX directly as a workaround.

The horizon issue is another matter. Luckily, I didn't have the problem. But I think this is usually more prevalent with 3-axis gimbals.

PCMAerial

I understand the frustration of not getting the DJI connection to work - but you could always trigger the pitch/tilt from the RX directly as a workaround.

The horizon issue is another matter. Luckily, I didn't have the problem. But I think this is usually more prevalent with 3-axis gimbals.

Are you saying there's another way to connect my pitch control to my controller? I have FrSky Taranis

Designated my 'RS' slider as my tilt control. No movement when I slide the switch. And I may have to just place some foam under one side of the gimbal to level it out. Just a bummer when it's brand new. No word back from dealer...yet

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Are you saying there's another way to connect my pitch control to my controller? I have FrSky Taranis

Designated my 'RS' slider as my tilt control. No movement when I slide the switch. And I may have to just place some foam under one side of the gimbal to level it out. Just a bummer when it's brand new. No word back from dealer...yet

Sorry, the zenmuse may not allow access to the RC control like most gimbals. Not sure if there is a mod that would bypass the FC.

PCMAerial

Sorry, the zenmuse may not allow access to the RC control like most gimbals. Not sure if there is a mod that would bypass the FC.

That's what I've been looking for but it seems like the Zen is pretty cut & dry. I enjoy the stability of the gimbal (aside from the off horizon) but it would be great to get the camera tilt control. Seems like X1 is the only option. I'm pretty sure I'm just missing something along in the process but can't seem to find it. The issue of not having X1 calibration in my Naza assistant hasn't been answered by dji yet

thanks for the help..as always!!! Lol