Build list on a budget. Radio and reciver? What GPS and controler?

poohbear

I have decided to build a quad to perform go-pro pictures and video on a gimbal. I would like to do FPV in the future as well. I want something that is fun to fly, and be used for pre programed flights, and pictures and video.

I have about 40 acres I would like to fly around and take pictures and such. So FPV and range is important. But using this as an arial tripod is still just as important to me.

What I Have decided on so far.

I will probably run something like the DJI f450.
I havent decided on a radio, but found this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8992&aff=224284 on my first drone. Not sure if it is a good choice for what I am trying to accomplish?

As far as a controler and gps go, I was thinking NAZA v2 or open pilot. I do not know much about the open pilot, so I am leaning to the naza. Thoughts on this? I Would like to have something like the iosd mini. THat is why i meaning to the V2. I have heard some systems allow for a "follow mode"? Where the drone follows you? NOt sure about this.

Motors will be the standard 300 kit.

FPV will come down the road when I have more money to put into the copter. Probably run through the go pro.

Does this sound like a solid build?

As far as the flight controler goes, what do you guys think? As far as a budget Im around 600 for the build, before FPV. So I am on a bit of a budget.

I Am learning on a qx130 ethos at the moment. I can hover and walker the dog, but still crash alot lol. Wind is not my friend with this little guy.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
The 9X while not my favorite radio will work with a bit of fiddling to get the programming you will need, be prepared for a few tears though.

Any 450 frame would be okay with say a Tarot brushless gimbal.

The basic Naza V2 with the waypoint setup is probably the easiest solution.

Pete

poohbear

The 9X while not my favorite radio will work with a bit of fiddling to get the programming you will need, be prepared for a few tears though.

Any 450 frame would be okay with say a Tarot brushless gimbal.

The basic Naza V2 with the waypoint setup is probably the easiest solution.

Pete

So stay away from the 9x... I figured at 60 USD the price was too good to be true. Any recommended radios?

Iwill keep and eye out for a good priced V2 setup, and order my 450. Thanks for the input pete.

Risen91

Although it hasn't arrived (just starting my first build also) I got recommended the FrSky Taranis X9D. Although a little more expensive it has a lot of good reviews and I see many videos of people using it. Good luck with the build whatever you choose :)

kloner

Aerial DP
that taranis is an extremely popular option and has telemetry built in so it's all you need, can skip a simple osd setup unless your looking for nav,,, don't usually need it on a multi, you can usually hear them most of the time flown even semi long range.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
The Taranis X9D is good but does a have a fairly steep learning curve and although the buy in price is quite reasonable it does add up quickly adding a $40 Rx and a couple of telemetry modules at $20-30 each, still it works out cheaper than other types.

poohbear

The Taranis X9D is good but does a have a fairly steep learning curve and although the buy in price is quite reasonable it does add up quickly adding a $40 Rx and a couple of telemetry modules at $20-30 each, still it works out cheaper than other types.

I am getting pretty hooked on the Taranis. Though the prices are always going up. I Was able to find some at 200, now 250... I am sure it will suit me well. But so would a dx6i I think. Range is the winner for the taranis it looks like.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
The extra 3 way switches on the Taranis and other radios makes them a gazillion times better than the DX6i, I also have one of them and just use it on the sim, not good for much else that I fly.

Pete