Convert a Minsoo Kim frame to Vtail

matwelli

Doing this for a friend,he brought a quad,and sent it to me for a Vtail Makeover

Thought this would be relevant as a few on here have Minsoo Frames

you need a piece of aluminium bar 25mm by 3mm by 360mm long, and a minsoo kim quad frame (or any frame really

the front arms are changed from 90 deg apart to 120 deg apart

the vtail is approx 35 deg from horizontal (110 deg between motors)
i drill two 8mm holes at the point that i bend the aluminium, makes it easier,and you dont need the strength
i then cover it in heatshrink,to make it look good (learnt that trick from stacky)

The controller can be a KKuk,Copter Control or any other that has a Y4 program option - this one uses an open pilot copter control
Yaw is nice and strong with a V tail

photos tell the story, and the video is of my VTQ that I passed on to Stacky -but this one flies the same

CG is at the same CG point as a tricopter, 1/3 back from the front props

flies like a Tricopter :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA8MPgPpHI0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA0LzMqGnCQ

View attachment 995View attachment 996View attachment 997View attachment 998View attachment 999

Attachments

• SAM_0243.jpg
    SAM_0243.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 306
  • SAM_0245.jpg
    SAM_0245.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 352
  • SAM_0246.jpg
    SAM_0246.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 329
  • SAM_0247.jpg
    SAM_0247.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 239
  • SAM_0251.jpg
    SAM_0251.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 294

matwelli

@pete haha thanks for that :) lets hope for good weather on sat

@gunter - #1 is orientation,great for learning to fly towards you,#2 is gracefull flying like a tricopter

on the orientation thing, the only other shape that i have found easy is a T shaped tri-copter

CaLviNx

Frame Design

Hi

SORRY in advance if this comes across a hi-jacking your thread.. but it seems you guys will know the answer to my question.

I'm designing my own frame loosely based on a quad in a "X" configuration, I would like to know if its possible to run the rear pair of motors on a narrower "track" so that between the motor centres (side to side) they are slightly closer together than the front pair ?

I'm thinking along the lines of having the front pair of motors centre to centre wider than the rear pair by a maximum of 100mm

Also would it be possible to still run on the "X" configuration firmware, I have a pick of two F.C. boards a "all-in-one" multi-wii board from Jakub J (sexycopters) or a KK+ 5.5D

sorry again if I'm hi-jacking your thread, if you feel this please say so and I will remove my post.

Kindest regards

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

matwelli

Hi

SORRY in advance if this comes across a hi-jacking your thread.. but it seems you guys will know the answer to my question.

I'm designing my own frame loosely based on a quad in a "X" configuration, I would like to know if its possible to run the rear pair of motors on a narrower "track" so that between the motor centres (side to side) they are slightly closer together than the front pair ?

I'm thinking along the lines of having the front pair of motors centre to centre wider than the rear pair by a maximum of 100mm

Also would it be possible to still run on the "X" configuration firmware, I have a pick of two F.C. boards a "all-in-one" multi-wii board from Jakub J (sexycopters) or a KK+ 5.5D

sorry again if I'm hi-jacking your thread, if you feel this please say so and I will remove my post.

Kindest regards

Mark

Dont be sorry, hijack away, its all good discussion

the problem with what you are proposing is to do with ROLL

the rear motors are closer to the centre line than the fronts, and if you apply an equal amount of power to the both motos on one side to counteract roll, you end up with the rear trying to roll more than the front.

this also happens when you try to yaw (as you are speeding up motors on diferent corners), the frame will roll at the same time as it is yawing

the effect will vary with the diference in dimensions - it was a big issue on a V8 design where the front motrs were 800mm apart and the rears 400mm apart

I dont think you will have as much of a problem, as your diferences wont be as great, and a multiwii board from Jakub will go a long way to correcting for the unwanted roll

with the Vtails, its not an issue luckily :)

CaLviNx

Hi

Thank you for the reply, I had already come to the conclusion that it may effect Yaw, but I had not yet managed to make the connection with regards to the roll, but now that you explain it, it makes sense, thank you.

I did wonder about the amount of difference being minimal, and if the board could compensate, as I wanted the difference in the distances apart to allow me to have a visual flight reference between front and back, kind of like a "flyduspider" but with only four motors.

Thank you again, I will build the thing and then show some pictures of it and hopefully I will try to fly it as best I can, i have a Gaui multi-copter, but I think I can do better, and I hope I can fly it coming from a Helicopter background.

regards

Mark