3D Robotics (3DR) Iris Official Users' Thread

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi everyone, I should start doing this (creating a dedicated thread) for all of the new gear that's coming out....so here's the thread for 3D Robotics (3DR) Iris current/future users to discuss the product.

Do we have anyone here flying one? Do they fly well?

Thanks and looking forward to hearing what y'all have to say about them. Good, bad, whatever, let's hear it.

3D Robotics Iris+ Youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp-_sF8s4WIZUXc6J5vtkA

Manufacturer's product page
http://3drobotics.com/iris/

Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
For the record, I don't have an Iris, never used one, but from what I hear, I don't recommend it. It does work, but it's marginal with a GoPro payload.

dazzab

For the record, I don't have an Iris, never used one, but from what I hear, I don't recommend it. It does work, but it's marginal with a GoPro payload.
Really? I always wanted one but have to curb my addiction. I was so hoping that the Iris would be a Phantom killer.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yeah... It works as-is, but with a GoPro, it just doesn't have enough power. It flies with a payload, but barely. And the way the motor layout is done, it's an X but pinched in the pitch axis. So it can be pretty pitchy, and is made worse because of the lack of power. There's lots of reports of flipping over in flight with a GoPro on the front.

That being said, I have seen some really excellent video from one. It can be done.

Bartman

the layout is what i call an XY, a format I began flying around 2 1/2 yrs ago. never felt it was "pitchy" but it's all in the tuning. have five of various sizes in the shop, all flying very nicely including the latest with the Mōvi on it.

the Iris should be OK with that layout but it's up to the Pixhawk to make it work. insufficient power is another issue.

Old Man

Don't have an Iris but do have a 3dR Quad, which uses essentially the same power system. Power is marginal flying the Quad with a Go Pro without a gimbal slung underneath the quad. Battery is moved to the top of the quad for this. Flight performance with the quad can be a little twitchy in pitch and roll using the 880kV motors, which get pretty warm during a flight. The Iris offsets the weight of a camera up front by placing the battery more aft, which should help flight control response some.

OTH, the 3dR X8 is an absolutely wonderful small camera platform. We have 3 of them in use at the moment, decked out with the Tarot gimbal, video TX, FPV, and telemetry system and are quite happy with their performance. IMO the older 3dR Quad is an autonomous M/R training tool and toy with the Iris being more of the same, where the X8 is an extremely functional tool.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yeah, the X8 is a nice middle-weight lifter.

The old 3DR quad, while simple, it "just works". It ain't pretty. We call it the flying pickup truck. The other devs like it because it's reliable.

I had one, and with a 4S 5000 battery, performance is actually pretty good. I put 2 4S5000's on it once and flew it for 25 minutes autonomously. So I find it can take some weight just fine. Mind you, it was like -10C that night... and there was no other payload.

Old Man

Thanks for the info regarding the 4s! I was wondering if any improvement was to be had with a little more voltage. Will the 3dR power input wire harness handle the 4s direct? I'm not going to sweat the temp you mentioned much. It would have taken the batteries down faster while improving propeller performance a little, but not burning gas there wouldn't have been any power gain from the "engines" at low density altitude;) Perhaps the worst part of those low temps was the impending numb fingers

The quad is absolutely reliable, which is why I like it.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yep, the rest of the system can handle 4S no problem. There is a rumor started by some morons on another forum that the Power Module can't take 4S, but that's completely false.

Bartman

Iris+ arrived on Saturday, so I'll get started with it this week with a "first impressions" video by the end of the week. Weather is creeping back into the thirties which is enough to get me back outside so it should be flying before long with additional reporting as we go.

Just peeking in the box it looks better and more substantial than I expected. I was expecting it to appear super flimsy at first sight but it really doesn't and from the videos I watched this weekend I'm pretty excited to try it out and get learning about the included Pixhawk control system.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
@Bartman Hey Bart, I've been watching some videos and reading up on this thing. I'm confused about the Tx. Does it come with it's own Tx? Could I use my Taranis? Or is this thing controlled by a combination of Android tablet plus custom Tx?

Sorry for all the questions!

cootertwo

Gary, it does come with a FrySky TH9 radio, with a custom program loaded. And I found no option to buy without a radio. But I'm pretty sure you could use another radio, as long as it's programmed/setup right. I also believe I read that the custom program with the included radio is open source, and someone with more knowledge here, will know if you can "upload" that program to your Taranis, as they are basically the same radio, as far as I know.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Gary, it does come with a FrySky TH9 radio, with a custom program loaded. And I found no option to buy without a radio. But I'm pretty sure you could use another radio, as long as it's programmed/setup right. I also believe I read that the custom program with the included radio is open source, and someone with more knowledge here, will know if you can "upload" that program to your Taranis, as they are basically the same radio, as far as I know.
Thanks @cootertwo. This quad is now number one on my "mulling over" list. I've been wondering for months how to get into the Pixhawk and FPV, and with the Iris+ I can do both. Plus, unlike the Yuneec Q500 which I was previously considering, it doesn't use this WiFi nonsense for it's link. I guess WiFi is fine if you plan to keep the aircraft within 100 ft. or so, but for what I want to do (overflys of my vineyards) requires a range of at least 500m (1 Km would be best). From everything I've read so far, the Iris+ combined with an FPV package would give me the easiest entry into FPV (some day, I'll build one from scratch because I do so LOVE to build).

WRT Taranis and the FlySky Tx provided, am I wrong in thinking the FlySky is based on OpenTx? Anyone?

Bartman

Gary, you hit the nail on the head, the RTF Quad market is getting crowded so the Iris+ becomes an option if you look at it like a RTF quad with lots of possibilities that also doubles as a Pixhawk trainer allowing you to get learning ASAP and mastering the Pixhawk for a future of multi-rotor helicopter activities.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Gary, you hit the nail on the head, the RTF Quad market is getting crowded so the Iris+ becomes an option if you look at it like a RTF quad with lots of possibilities that also doubles as a Pixhawk trainer allowing you to get learning ASAP and mastering the Pixhawk for a future of multi-rotor helicopter activities.
Exactly. I saw a video posted by a guy named Adam at Aeroworks Productions. In this particular video he was demonstrating the setup of the Iris+ while at the same time showing the innards of another one clearly showing the Pixhawk and a FrSky Rx no less. I became extremely interested because it dawned on me that I will be able to modify this aircraft to suit my needs (to some extent). I was even wondering outloud why you can't use a 4S battery instead of 3S (keeping in mind the prop/motor combination and their tuned limits).

Anyway, I've finally got some cash I can spend but I want to do it wisely. I see this Adam guy is offering the Iris+ with an FPV option that looks right up my alley. Unfortunately, buying that and having it shipped to me here in Spain would be a customs/duties/fees nightmare, and no one but NO ONE is offering it here. Here's the link in case anyone's interested:

http://shop.aeroworksproductions.com/3DR-IRIS-RTF-Kit-3DR-IRIS.htm

I'll get it figured out, sooner or later.:D

Bartman

gary,

are there any reputable shops in Spain that we could pass along to 3D Robotics for them to consider setting up as a dealer?