A2 EMI Flyaway Cell Tower Proximity

fdproductions

FD Productions
Any EE's on this forum that can speak of how close you'd have to be to theoretically lose signal being too close to a cell tower, after my s1000 incident I've been terrified to fly again and just recently learned that there were 44 cell towers when typing in the address I was at, the closest one being 3/4 mile away from my flight path but still doesn't seem like it would have caused it.

Also if someone could touch on whether or not switching over to 133ghz or 5.8 frequency (lightbridge) would prevent these incidents from occurring so frequently.

Last edited by a moderator:

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I am an EE but specific to industrial power with limited SCADA, Telecom, Wireless experience except that I am also a HAM radio operator - VE6GLT which is also most relevant to this question.

I would think if you are flying at least 100 away from a cell phone tower you should not have issues with them. But stay well away from microwave towers (not so much because of the frequencies but the extremely high and focused RF energy).

Flying in very close proximity to Cell Phone or any Radio transmission tower:
All bets are off with respect to any RC Rx managing thru the high energy and SNR issues even ss and fhss.
Inverse square law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

RFI:
Cell Phone tower space may be leased to competing cell phone services that need to transmit and other relay/repeater frequencies.
Faulty RF transmission equipment that releases spurious emissions, means that RFI is always a possibility.
Spurious emissions or transmitting outside of licensed frequencies is a violation of FCC regulations but can continue for long periods of time until identified, usually by nearby users of wireless systems.

fdproductions

FD Productions
thank you very much, im beginning to realize what my issue is and its likely not due to dji or the a2 its due to my futaba 14sg binding in multi mode.

I am an EE but specific to industrial power with limited SCADA, Telecom, Wireless experience except that I am also a HAM radio operator - VE6GLT which is also most relevant to this question.

I would think if you are flying at least 100 away from a cell phone tower you should not have issues with them. But stay well away from microwave towers (not so much because of the frequencies but the extremely high and focused RF energy).

Flying in very close proximity to Cell Phone or any Radio transmission tower:
All bets are off with respect to any RC Rx managing thru the high energy and SNR issues even ss and fhss.
Inverse square law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

RFI:
Cell Phone tower space may be leased to competing cell phone services that need to transmit and other relay/repeater frequencies.
Faulty RF transmission equipment that releases spurious emissions, means that RFI is always a possibility.
Spurious emissions or transmitting outside of licensed frequencies is a violation of FCC regulations but can continue for long periods of time until identified, usually by nearby users of wireless systems.

Efliernz

Pete
I have done cell tower survey test flights using Futaba 10C 2.4g and my heli and quad (HFP) and been within 5 meters of the aerial plant. The cells were on 900 and 1200meg bands. 5.8 downlink and zero glitches to the radio. I agree that the microwave dish systems can focus a very narrow powerful beam but it would only be significant within 50 meters .

Note that I have not tested any DJI systems in the same manor but from what I read about the A2, I have more faith in Futaba...

For what its worth... I am a radio and telecoms engineer by trade with 30 years r/c, 7 years AP and 3.5 years multi experience... not bragging, just squashing the 'yeah right noob' feelings of others...

Pete

fdproductions

FD Productions
I have done cell tower survey test flights using Futaba 10C 2.4g and my heli and quad (HFP) and been within 5 meters of the aerial plant. The cells were on 900 and 1200meg bands. 5.8 downlink and zero glitches to the radio. I agree that the microwave dish systems can focus a very narrow powerful beam but it would only be significant within 50 meters .

Note that I have not tested any DJI systems in the same manor but from what I read about the A2, I have more faith in Futaba...

For what its worth... I am a radio and telecoms engineer by trade with 30 years r/c, 7 years AP and 3.5 years multi experience... not bragging, just squashing the 'yeah right noob' feelings of others...

Pete

Im quite certain my issues came from my use of the futaba 14sg and the way the A2 flight controller links to this 14sg via the internal receiver, not at all trying to take a shot at futaba, but i've been on the field on more than one occasion and seen my blue light on my 14sg magically turn off and then on thankfully never when my bird was in the air but perhaps it could have gone off when my s1000 took a dive. something feels quirky with my 14sg perhaps its just an independent issue.

kloner

Aerial DP
I've walked up to cell antennas in 2 cities here in the states and both had labels on them with 2500mhz frequency...... and these were always there.

20140108195724-c04c2c0e.jpg

we never had any problems....you should buy an 8fg if your gonna fly a2. the last one i got was $400 but there discontinued so maybe a used one if you can't find it new....