T-motor

Kratos

I am confused, looking at this T-motors but I have no idea whitch one to pick?! I only know that I dont need U-type motors because they are waterproof and dust free... So what to look at, I need to lift quadricopter with go pro hd hero 3+ about 150 grams + basic gimbal. What is most important thing to look at motors? dimenison, weight, amps, wats etc or something else?

example
http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2014/Navigator_0124/191.html

http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2013/Navigator_0910/34.html

I see only different prices and small difference in specification :D maybe my problem is that I dont understand specifications too much, so it would be good if someone can explain me or share link with everything explained
example.
KV..............................................................................................................1400

Configu ration....................................................................................12N14P
Stator Diameter....................................................................................18mm
Stator Length..........................................................................................6mm
Shaft Diameter.......................................................................................2mm
Motor Dimensions(Dia.*Len)...............................................Φ23×18.5mm
Weight (g)...................................................................................................18g
ldle current(10)@10v(A)..........................................................................0.2A
No.of Cells(Lipo).....................................................................................2-3S
Max Continuous current(A)180S............................................................12A

Max Continuous Power(W)180S...........................................................96W
Max. efficiency current.................................................................(2-7A)>85%
internal resistance..............................................................................325mΩ

tnx in advance :)

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Wrong motor I would think, you should be looking at something like a 200-250 watt motor in the 2212 size or maybe a little bigger and 800-1000kv.

The motor you quoted at 1400kv is not going to suit say a 450 size quad with gimbal.

Not sure why you need waterproof but something like this one would be a good choice if you MUST have T-motor. http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2013/Professional_0912/45.html

Pete

Kratos

You didnt understand me. I just put examples, and I DON'T need waterproof motor :D I need somebody to explain me basics of motors :)

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Yeah sorry my mistake but I did give you the info you need.

"you should be looking at something like a 200-250 watt motor in the 2212 size or maybe a little bigger and 800-1000kv."

Pete

Kratos

How to know how much KV motor to buy? more KV more speed less torque light multirotor, less KV less speed more torque heavy multirotor? how to find balance, I need refference point?

Kratos

Tnx, logic, excelent thread, I found pololu, that is what I need for 360 pictures, but it didn't answer my question abot KV how to choose motor it is only talk about grams? In video you had 2 motors, how did you choose those two, by expirience?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i start by looking at what i want to do with the helicopter that i am going to be building. if i know what i want to do with it then i can begin to list the pieces that will be used and i can estimate weights for them.

once i have weights i can begin to plug in different weights and performance data for motors that might work. it's trial and error so it might take a few tries, a spreadsheet on a computer helps a lot.

when you try a certain motor you have to add up the total weight (you might have to guess at batteries also for the first few tries) and then see if that motor has good numbers for your estimated hovering phase of flight (roughly 50 to 65% of throttle to hover is a good target). if it's hovering at too high or too low a throttle position, see if different props would make it better...if not try a slightly smaller motor.

kv is just another specification that needs to be determined before getting started....high kv motors will be better with 3S and 4S battery packs whereas lower kv motors generally will work better with higher cell count packs....but it's the whole package that makes a heli well designed with good performance.

kv, prop size, current draw, motor weight, overall heli weight.....a few things that all balance out to make the package work right

Bartman

if it's a basic quad with one 4S battery then I'd probably just try the Tiger 2216 motors, i've got a DJI F450 frame with those motors and two 5000mah 4S packs and it does really well with 10" props

Bartman

run the numbers though and get the total weight estimate as accurate as possible so you can see if the motors will actually do what you need them to do.

fltundra

Tnx, logic, excelent thread, I found pololu, that is what I need for 360 pictures, but it didn't answer my question abot KV how to choose motor it is only talk about grams? In video you had 2 motors, how did you choose those two, by expirience?
This will help you with the KV choices. Start out with a model weight of about 1300 g, quad config. and that will get you started.
http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.php

Bartman

ecalc's another way to go, i prefer to spec everything out specific to my build and run my own numbers but ecalc get it done too.