Squeal and dirt dive - bad motor or ESC?

sentiensx

New build, its only had 6 flights and its hit the dirt sideways 4 times. Broken props arms and landing strut.

I am hearing a squeal (I imagine as if you were holding a motor and not letting it spin?) and then the craft tilts and rapidly descends into the dirt. Is it a bad motor or ESC? everything is new.

heli-world.com 720C frame. Century branded motors and ESC (same as sunnysky). Naza M V2 flight controller, Futaba 10j transmitter with matched reciever.

On the first crash I was testing switching modes (gps/att/manual) and thought that I caused it)

On the second crash I was testing IOC (intelligent orientation control) and had flown within 10m of myself and thought that caused it.

on the third crash I was just flying around a small lawn area.

On the fourth crash I changed into IOC home tracking about the time it went down.

Today I was just running it in a straight line and reversing to see how fast it could go and stop. On the breaking of the third run it squealed as it has done in other crashes and went down breaking two props and the landing struts and maybe other stuff too.

no flights have been over 5 minutes. I tried running it on the ground for 10 minutes just idling to near lift to see if i could get it to squeal but it didnt.

How can I further diagnose the failed part?

SoCal Blur

Try running it on the ground with rapid throttle changes. It sounds like at least one ESC and motor are losing sync. Which Sunnysky motors are you using? Do they have a high pole count?

kloner

Aerial DP
most likely one motor is shutting off and most likely there is a bad esc at play, or wire connection/bullet connector. you might have to leave it propped and punch throttle like he said, manual mode, get it to stutter or shutoff... culprit should show. it most likely kept dipping the same one if this is the case so if you can remember what it did as in which motor fell in the other crashes is probably the same motor. can't imagine a branded set of something has commutation problems but you never know these days......

Last edited by a moderator:

sentiensx

Im not sure the ESC and Motor are matched. They are both branded 'Century' but I know that they are just OEM. The motor is sunnysky for sure but I dont know about the ESC. I guess I need to leave the prop on it to slow it down and cause the motor to torque and put load. I was definetly seeing it get figity if I let the stick spring back to center. So bad ESC or just not syncing well/bad match? Ill try holding it down and throttling it to see if i can get it to squeal. its a long tone not a chirp... Like its flatlining... it continues on the ground until I disarm it.

kloner

Aerial DP
that's one of them mix master turntables.......... yikes, i'd be looking for a better working combo.....