Opinions...

Justgerald

So im chomping at the bit to get started. Ive considered everything from diy dii, to the phantom 2, 3dr, storm 6...too many to list. and certainly too many for a newb to make heads or tails of. I know that there is allot of crap, and crappy people selling overpriced crap...ebay...so I'm nervous. I have about $2500, which I want to maximize value and newest tech. with ability to change, upgrade, grow as best is possible with the industry.

So my thinking is going with the x8 3dr. adding all the options except go pro. it seems very well made, with great telemetry. it appears upgradable with load of room. and will carry my camera well.

What is your opinion? :)

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I think it will end badly.

Have a look at the group build thread and build a cheap easy quad and have a play and learn heaps on how to fly and how to setup and then buy your dream machine. Honestly it will cost a lot less in the long run.

Pete

I built my first setup with about the same budget - dji f550 hex, naza v2 w/ gps, futaba t10j tx (quality), tarot gimbal (meh), go pro 3 black, fpv and monitor. I followed along with the group build on this thread (it's for f450, but essentially the same). I was a COMPLETE noob when starting, never flew anything before, never soldered anything before. So far this copter has proven absolutely stellar, and in theory, easy to upgrade for heavier lift and different cameras.

Avenger

I built my first setup with about the same budget - dji f550 hex, naza v2 w/ gps, futaba t10j tx (quality), tarot gimbal (meh), go pro 3 black, fpv and monitor. I followed along with the group build on this thread (it's for f450, but essentially the same). I was a COMPLETE noob when starting, never flew anything before, never soldered anything before. So far this copter has proven absolutely stellar, and in theory, easy to upgrade for heavier lift and different cameras.

Almost identical to me but I haven't been flying much yet.

see my thread "First Build, First Flight" which includes my Rig list (equipment, components and specifications)

genesc

I started with a $1000.00 and am down to $300.00 now.. :( I am following the group build as Pete suggested. I am very new at this. So new that I am still practicing everyday with my mini quads, learning how to turn, hover and jump from one spot to another. I have bought most all my pieces to finish the build but still waiting on parts yet. I found that the Group Build by Bart was very informative but I still had many questions. Questions that only a newbie would dare ask...:) But I keep asking. As I get parts in I find that almost every time I end up having to order something else to make that part work.. It ads up quick but bottom line I am determined and learning one heck of allot in the process.

Thanks to those who dare answer my dumb question..:)

Gene

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I agree with Pete and the rest. Building something smaller, cheaper and less precious will allow you to learn, learn, and learn. With the practice you get from this first build you will be able to move I to the next with more confidence and assurance that if/when something goes wrong on the bigger , more expensive craft - you'll be able to handle it.

In the meantime, if you're new to the hobby, you'll have a blast with just about any MR, so don't stress the decision making process too much and remember to have fun.