DJI A2 Failure Videos

fdproductions

FD Productions
All,

I would like to keep flying my DJI A2 aircrafts.

If you would to, perhaps we can help DJI understand and solve the problems we are having with our A2 flight controllers.

Take a quick second to share any failed A2 experiences in video form that you've had. A short short description of your firmware, transmitter and flight conditions would be ideal. Lets try to keep things respectful and lose our temper, even though its tough. Should DJI ignore this thread and our efforts at least we can brainstorm amongst ourselves and provide each other good feedback.

Aircraft: DJI s800 Evo
Flight Conditions: 4-7 mph winds
A2 Flight Controller: V 2.1 / 2.2b
Pre-Take Off Satellite Count: 14
Flight Mode (during issue): Atti
Issue: Yaw Lockout

Last edited by a moderator:

Clogz

Skunking about...
There is a big thread on a different forum that is getting a lot(!) of posts of disgruntled A2 pilots about this.

i was lucky enough my copter didn't crash when I installed the initial dodgy version of FW V2.2. I lost all Yaw control after a bit of flying but was lucky enough to land without any issues.

i then reverted to V2.1 which worked ok for me. When DJI 'hot fixed' the FW V2.2 without telling anyone I found out by accident and eventually updated to this V2.2b. I flew my rig without any issues using this new version of V2.2. There's no obvious way of telling whether you are running the bugged version or the latest. If you are already running V2.2 you will need to downgrade to V2.1 first and you upgrade again to V2.2. Only then the hot fixed version V2.2 will install itself...

Anyway,

Aircraft: Custom carbon rig
Flight Conditions: 5-10mph winds
A2 Flight Controller: V2.2(a)
Flight Mode (during issue): GPS

I didn't have any issues on V2.1 and the latest V2.2b....copter flies steady as a rock....so far...

Clogz

Skunking about...
I was lucky that I lost all yaw control but managed to land without any serious issues. I only found out after asking some questions for a few days about the Yaw control loss after a (seemingly) random amount of time....

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
10xa2 controllers and 6 failures, 4 of which are confirmed A2 failures. The other two's symptoms were identical to the 4 known a2 failures. All machines were on 2.1 and most exhibited a complete loss of control from the pilot despite go home, attitude mode etc being used to try and regain control.

Rigs were either s1000 or Ikarus (Cinestar 8 HL derivative).

These are rigs I have trained people on who all stated that the rig flew well for a number of flights and then all of a sudden, control loss. 2 of the failures I witnessed in person and it would seem to be a failure in GPS puck but hard to tell for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fdproductions

FD Productions
Aircraft: DJI s800 Evo
Flight Conditions: 1-4 mph winds
A2 Flight Controller: V 2.1 / 2.2b
Flight Mode (during issue): Atti

Clogz

Skunking about...
Use Assistant V1.2. If you run this and 'upgrade' the assistant will install FW V2.1.

Old Man

A rash of software fix releases is a very bad sign of someone that is churning out untested code and playing catch up after the fact. FWIW, I have an A2 that refuses to calibrate compass and GPS so it hasn't flown yet. That may be a good thing.....

econfly

...which has the following description in the A2 product release notes document:

"What is new?

Firmware

- Removed airport flight restrictions."

Steve

This is why these software based restrictions are a bad idea. Apparently DJI accidentally released an update with the restrictions turned on by default. What that means, and why it would affect people outside restricted areas is unclear (maybe lack of GPS input to confirm being in a non-restricted area failed to turn these restrictions off?), but what is clear is that users are subject to yet another form of failure and with no corresponding benefit.

Nobody thinks they need these restrictions applied to them, but many apparently believe that these restrictions should be imposed on others. Often this thinking is followed by "or government will just make it worse". Well, given enough time government makes just about everything worse anyway. Why we need to encourage industry to get out in front of this by creating its own problems is a mystery to me. In the mean time, there is no way I am flying anything that has a "feature" of removing flight control based on GPS data and some ever-expanding database -- where control problems due to a typo or software bug are just a matter of time.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
The CAA thinks that the restrictions around airports is a bad thing as it takes control away from the pilot. THIS is sensible thinking. DJI should perhaps realise it is no longer in the toy industry but has entered professional aviation. Time to engage with the various authorities and develop a product that is fit for purpose and thus bring them the profits they desire.

Clogz

Skunking about...
I suspect DJI have fixed more than just turning off the airport restrictions. I'm nowhere near an airport and lost yaw control x minutes into a flight - all other inputs worked fine. Over time into the flight I had less and less yaw control until I had none left. The initial 'hot fixed' V2.2(b) fixed all my problems. After many, many complaints from other pilots DJI have now done the sensible thing and moved on the version number to V2.3 so people no longer have trouble updating their firmware...

Anyway, my copter is flying rock solid on the last FW...

surfab

and before you say... oh your sticks are not calibrated, note what happens when the power is reset. and this was on 2.1 firmware

Old Man

After experiencing close to 20 years of product design issues with various hobby products from the eastern manufacturers, I'm sorry to say you have little to no chance of getting crash losses replaced unless the vendor that sold you the A2 does so out of the kindness of their heart and the cash in their wallet.

Note the disclaimer in the back of the A2 manual. Its pretty exclusive and quite clear in what they refuse responsibility for. But you can always hope....

surfab

After experiencing close to 20 years of product design issues with various hobby products from the eastern manufacturers, I'm sorry to say you have little to no chance of getting crash losses replaced unless the vendor that sold you the A2 does so out of the kindness of their heart and the cash in their wallet.

Note the disclaimer in the back of the A2 manual. Its pretty exclusive and quite clear in what they refuse responsibility for. But you can always hope....

I am well aware with that, im just releasing my frustrations haha. and hopefully other people see it and keep well away from dji products

Old Man

The condition is not exclusive to multirotor products. I can understand where you're coming from though.