A Bit Annoyed

Avenger

I have built my first ever Hexacopter and I'm pretty chuffed with myself, I'd never soldered before but I've competently and neatly managed to complete my dji 550 without a major problem.

I've had help from here on the forum and watched a hundred videos on YouTube which has steered me through the frustrations of setting up software, assigning switches on my Spektrum DX7 and understanding how to trim Failsafe/GPS/Manual modes.

Whats annoyed me is that when I bought my components I clearly stated on a number of occasions that I wanted to build a dji 550 which was capable of carrying a Zenmuse H3-2D camera gimbal. I explained that I'm not wealthy enough to buy twice and so I needed to buy correctly the first time and was sold the Naza M lite which I'm now told isn't capable of working with the ZH3-2D.

Now I'm forced to either pay for a different flight controller or use something else with my GoPro 3 Black Edition which was bought brand new for this purpose.

Does anyone know of any other way around this issue?

Avenger

I'm in the UK in Yorkshire and bought the components all together from a large official dealership near where I live. Didn't get them over the internet, I actually went to their outlet and had a discussion face to face before accepting their recommendation. I know better now but at the time I trusted them to know what they were doing, as I said in my op I explained my requirement specifically the Zemuse.

i feel like they've taken advantage a bit because I'm new to this.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Did you buy the gimbal with the NAza?

Like pete said, go back and tell them that they screwed up and that you'd like an exchange for the naza m v2

Avenger

Hi guys,

thanks for replying.

because I didn't know the Naza lite didn't work with the gimbal I've assembled it within my 550 so it's basically 2nd hand now. On that basis I'm not sure they'll take it back and swap it but it's worth a try as I've kept all the packaging etc in good condition.

I haven't bought the gimbal yet as I didn't have the money at the time, which is why I took the time to explain to them that in the near future I would be buying and using the dji HD3-2D with my Gopro Hero3 Black.

With that explained I then deferred to their greater knowledge in terms of the components I required and they recommended the Naza M lite.

i don't know if there's a way around this, maybe if there's another equally good gimbal or some kind of extra additional controller.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If the company has even decent customer service they should recognize their mistake and make it right. Especially if they know that you will be buying the H3-2D through them in the near future.

I have a few cheap gimbals - and after using the zenmuse on the Phantom 2 review for this forum (basically the same gimbal) I would say that the slightly higher cost is far overshadowed by the lack of frustration with setup and performance, compared to the other gimbals I've used. So I would recommend getting the Naza V2 for this reason, as well as it will likely be a controller you can grow with in the future - so worth the time, energy and money to return it IMHO.

Avenger

I agree on all counts, I'll be going down and asking them.

I also agree on the gimbal quality which is relevant because I explained that my budget was tight and I couldn't afford to buy twice therefore I'd be buying the best, when I could afford it.

At the moment, this issue is spoiling what's been an otherwise enjoyable first build

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I agree on all counts, I'll be going down and asking them.

I also agree on the gimbal quality which is relevant because I explained that my budget was tight and I couldn't afford to buy twice therefore I'd be buying the best, when I could afford it.

At the moment, this issue is spoiling what's been an otherwise enjoyable first build

You can't let it spoil your fun. I know it's frustrating - but at this point is sorta standard in this hobby. It's all relative. Try getting HobbyKing to do the right thing - THAT'S frustration for you. :)

Avenger

[SUB]Thanks Quinton,

That's kind of what I started the thread to find out, to see if anyone knew whether this was totally incompatible or if there is some kind of work around.

Motopreserve, in the long run it won't, once I'm off and flying/filming it'll all be forgotten[/SUB]

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
[SUB]Thanks Quinton,

That's kind of what I started the thread to find out, to see if anyone knew whether this was totally incompatible or if there is some kind of work around.

Motopreserve, in the long run it won't, once I'm off and flying/filming it'll all be forgotten[/SUB]

The DJI page says you need the $65 PMU. So the question becomes do you spend a little more and get an out-of-the-box compatible FC or add on to the Lite. Seems like the Naza V2 would be another additional $65 over the cost of the Lite+PMU.

Avenger

The DJI page says you need the $65 PMU. So the question becomes do you spend a little more and get an out-of-the-box compatible FC or add on to the Lite. Seems like the Naza V2 would be another additional $65 over the cost of the Lite+PMU.

Seeing as Ive already got the Naza M lite installed and programmed etc it's probably easier to add the PMU if that'll do the trick.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Seeing as Ive already got the Naza M lite installed and programmed etc it's probably easier to add the PMU if that'll do the trick.

That'll do it I think. I found the info on the DJI product page for the gimbal. I'm sure the Naza lite page would have even more info.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thats great and thanks

i knew I'd get help here

Make sure you double check so that you don't end up in another frustrating position. All the info seemed to be right on the DJI site. Or better yet - call your helpful friends at the local shop, and see if they can get it right this time :)

Quinton

Make sure you double check so that you don't end up in another frustrating position. All the info seemed to be right on the DJI site. Or better yet - call your helpful friends at the local shop, and see if they can get it right this time :)

+1 on that, make the reseller guarantee that it will be what you require, this is an expensive business very quickly without you realising it.
I'm sat here with so much crap that I have never used as I did not know better, now if I could just start again :)
A lot of it is DJI stuff.

The same old thing goes through my mind, maybe I can use it some time in the future....yeah right, by that time version 2 will have sorted it!

Avenger

+1 on that, make the reseller guarantee that it will be what you require, this is an expensive business very quickly without you realising it.
I'm sat here with so much crap that I have never used as I did not know better, now if I could just start again :)
A lot of it is DJI stuff.

The same old thing goes through my mind, maybe I can use it some time in the future....yeah right, by that time version 2 will have sorted it!

Ha, I can certainly see how that could happen already,
I've just ordered X2 spare replacement arms for my 550 and considered getting a couple of extra motors as well. If I keep on doing that it wouldn't be too long before I could build a second aircraft.

Rook33

Rook
I have built my first ever Hexacopter and I'm pretty chuffed with myself, I'd never soldered before but I've competently and neatly managed to complete my dji 550 without a major problem.

I've had help from here on the forum and watched a hundred videos on YouTube which has steered me through the frustrations of setting up software, assigning switches on my Spektrum DX7 and understanding how to trim Failsafe/GPS/Manual modes.

Whats annoyed me is that when I bought my components I clearly stated on a number of occasions that I wanted to build a dji 550 which was capable of carrying a Zenmuse H3-2D camera gimbal. I explained that I'm not wealthy enough to buy twice and so I needed to buy correctly the first time and was sold the Naza M lite which I'm now told isn't capable of working with the ZH3-2D.

Now I'm forced to either pay for a different flight controller or use something else with my GoPro 3 Black Edition which was bought brand new for this purpose.

Does anyone know of any other way around this issue?

Is it due to the fact that the gimbal is too heavy that you cannot use it or something to do with the controls needed to operate it? Having just bought a Naza M lite with GPS for my 450 I want to know if I am going to be able to carry a camera.