Legislation of UAV's ?

Helihound

Simple question. Do you think it should be a legal requirement for ALL multirotor/UAV users to be registered and licensed in some form? Do you think there should be some form of regulation?

I ask because even though I have only been browsing for a few weeks, there seems to be various aviation authorities and reports in the press relating to the inappropriate use of UAV's.

Tuomas P.

What would be logical is to license the professional UAV operators and airframes. The more difficult part is to keep hobby flying away from crowded places etc. There was no problem in hobby flying as long it happened in designated model airfields.
TP.

Bowley

UK at the moment its strange where the Professional operators are very heavily regulated with certification and annual renewals, assessment etc but there is zero regulation on the hobby side....well thats not strictly true as the regs do exist in form of BMFA and CAA documents and they are basically the same as for professional use but are generally ignored.
Most rc flying fields have a segregated viewing and a flight line a reasonable distance to keep high speed flying objects clear of people, suddenly MR's make an appearance and are generally flown in the public domain in the large part by poeple who who dont know regulations exist and have been sold a camera drone and who on earth wants to shoot video or stills of an RC Flying field.
Perhaps if some sort of permit and registration was needed it would make people more responsible, as they would then be aware of the regs and need to accept accountability.
The idea of having hundreds of potential 'dropped objects' and flyaway FOD as is already happening wont be tolerated for very long, take Spain as an example who have just suspended all UAV operations, and here in the UK the CAA are starting to investigate and prosecute offenders as a concious direction of policy

pj1967

Simple question. Do you think it should be a legal requirement for ALL multirotor/UAV users to be registered and licensed in some form? Do you think there should be some form of regulation?

I ask because even though I have only been browsing for a few weeks, there seems to be various aviation authorities and reports in the press relating to the inappropriate use of UAV's.

i believe that the UAV should have some sort of License and a Safety Course attached when buying, but nothing overly restrictive for the Hobby user, but it doesn't help when the idiots are posting on youtube the very idiotic films the the Authorities like to see and use as Stick to beat the very people who want to go down the right Road and say to the world we told you so.

I think licensing leads to creating a governing force which I don't agree with. I do however agree with the fact that like a car, motorcycle you need to take a course to gain an understanding of your craft. I think the FAA should send a list of approved "courses (entrepenuers could design them)" and you have to maintain a number of learned credit hours per year to maintain your eligibility to fly for pay. that way money goes to the people not the government.

I would also like to see them classified different. Commercial being the transportation of items (with the intention of delivery) as commercial. Different regulations all together.