Newbie with questions

mrand

Hey guys. Just bought my Phantom Vision 2 last week and I have a few questions. I'll try to keep them short. I recently bough the 2.4G Blue tooth data link. It came with a CD for a PC and I have a MAC. My question is where the hell does the data link go? Inside the Vision? I havent been able to find any install videos online. My other question is I plan to use the Ground Station software on my iPad mini. Do I need the NAZA-M? What does that do? I see it mentioned alot. Is it just an upgrade to the one in the Vision. I noticed a video online had the same sort sized thing in there, but it wasn't called that.

Thanks for any help.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey guys. Just bought my Phantom Vision 2 last week and I have a few questions. I'll try to keep them short. I recently bough the 2.4G Blue tooth data link. It came with a CD for a PC and I have a MAC. My question is where the hell does the data link go? Inside the Vision? I havent been able to find any install videos online. My other question is I plan to use the Ground Station software on my iPad mini. Do I need the NAZA-M? What does that do? I see it mentioned alot. Is it just an upgrade to the one in the Vision. I noticed a video online had the same sort sized thing in there, but it wasn't called that.

Thanks for any help.

i believe the phantom 2 vision has the Naza M already.

I assume you watched the setup video HERE:

mrand

I did see that video, but it wasn't for the Phantom 2 so I wasn't completely sure about the install. I will open it up and see what I find inside. I see that some people have mounted the data link on the outside, but I assume you would need to somehow make a bigger hole to get the plug inside.

Thanks for your help. I will take it apart and see whats up and maybe it will be self explanatory.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I did see that video, but it wasn't for the Phantom 2 so I wasn't completely sure about the install. I will open it up and see what I find inside. I see that some people have mounted the data link on the outside, but I assume you would need to somehow make a bigger hole to get the plug inside.

Thanks for your help. I will take it apart and see whats up and maybe it will be self explanatory.

i definitely dont don't think you'd need to take it apart. They have made these things pretty "closed source," for lack of a better term. I've seen videos of people opening the - there nothing to it. But I think you'll want. Your Bluetooth etc away from the GOS (which is inside the lid).

Isnt there a 3 prong style plug on the unit, like the miniOSD? The phantom 2 I have has the port on the leg.

mrand

i definitely dont don't think you'd need to take it apart. They have made these things pretty "closed source," for lack of a better term. I've seen videos of people opening the - there nothing to it. But I think you'll want. Your Bluetooth etc away from the GOS (which is inside the lid).

Isnt there a 3 prong style plug on the unit, like the miniOSD? The phantom 2 I have has the port on the leg.

At first I thought there was a plug on the leg, but the cable doesn't connect to it. I opened it up, but there doesn't appear to be anything to connect to or anything that will accept this style connector. Also, it doesn't appear to be the NAZA-M inside. It just says phantom on it. I will attempt to post a few photos. I don't have the miniOSD. Do I need that? I would think that someone has to have installed this already.

View attachment 17467

View attachment 17468

View attachment 17469

Attachments

• IMG_6534.jpg
    IMG_6534.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_6913.jpg
    IMG_6913.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_7687.jpg
    IMG_7687.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 366

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
At first I thought there was a plug on the leg, but the cable doesn't connect to it. I opened it up, but there doesn't appear to be anything to connect to or anything that will accept this style connector. Also, it doesn't appear to be the NAZA-M inside. It just says phantom on it. I will attempt to post a few photos. I don't have the miniOSD. Do I need that? I would think that someone has to have installed this already.

View attachment 21557

View attachment 21558

View attachment 21559

I think that's just a phantom version of the naza M. Did you get it recently? They have been shipping with them for a while as best I can tell.

So you have a photo of the plug on the leg? I think it's called the cam-bus extension. There should be a cam-bus input somewhere inside the body? On the FC? I have the leg port on the phantom2. I haven't opened the insides yet.

If you can't get the info here - check out the phantom pilots forum. They had a bunch about the problems with the setup you're trying g to achieve.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I have that one too, but also a port on the front left leg (if looking from behind).

Looks like THIS.

You have the phantom 2, correct? You may need a hub, but I'm not sure. If you're not running the OSD I thought you'd be set.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

You are looking at the compass. Motopreserve is correct on the can bus on the leg. That is where the Data Link air unit connects. You will need a PC to run the GS program, however if you have a supported device; iPad mini, iPhone 5 etc. You can run the GS App and don't need the program.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Well, mine doesn't have that. It is the Phantom Vision 2. All mine has is what I posted. Seems odd.

Sounds like you may need to purchase the can-bus hub??? Maybe it's only the Phantom 2 (no vision) that has the can-bus port on the leg? I found a couple people talking about hacking into the board internally, but that's a whole different ball of wax. Did you buy it from a dealer? Can you email them to see what they say about compatibility???

mrand

You are correct. Even though it is a Phantom 2, the Vision version doesn't have the Can Bus on the leg. So, I will return it and get the Phantom 2 with the GoPro Gimble and then I will be all set. I will upgrade the gimble soon to the H3-3D version. The GoPro will be better video and the image stabilization will also be better. I feel like an idiot, but I assume Phantom 2 Vision version or not would be the same. My bad.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You are correct. Even though it is a Phantom 2, the Vision version doesn't have the Can Bus on the leg. So, I will return it and get the Phantom 2 with the GoPro Gimble and then I will be all set. I will upgrade the gimble soon to the H3-3D version. The GoPro will be better video and the image stabilization will also be better. I feel like an idiot, but I assume Phantom 2 Vision version or not would be the same. My bad.

I would have thought the same thing! Not sure why one would be different - especially since it's not like the h3-2d plugs I to that port - which would maybe make sense making it available for that version only (still unfortunate for vision owners who want these add-Ons).

mrand

Let me ask another question. I ordered the Phantom with H3-2D gimble because it was in stock and I need it for a job I got. I assume I can swap it out to the H3-3D fairly easily once that is out?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Let me ask another question. I ordered the Phantom with H3-2D gimble because it was in stock and I need it for a job I got. I assume I can swap it out to the H3-3D fairly easily once that is out?

I don't know that for sure - but I would assume so. Granted, companies are in the business of making us buy new things - but to have to buy a whole new MR for the use of a new gimbal would really be pushing it! :) I'd hope the mounting holes would line up the same as the 2D, but who knows. I'm sure that is out there on the interwebs somewhere...

EDIT: found this:

For existing Phantom 2 users, a mounting adapter is required to mount the H3-3D. Mounting adapter for F450/F550 will
be available in the future.