Hoverfly how do I improve Altitude Hold

blagerst

Hi,
The last six weeks I have been flying a quadrocopter with PRO/GPS and everything works very nice.
However, I would like to improve the Altitude Hold and need advice.

I have tried gain settings of course and different props, 3 and 4cells but the quad is floating up and down within 6-7 meters which I find too much.

At higher gains it works better but on the other hand when landing the quad freaks out in bouncing and eventually flips over.

Without AltHold at normal gain (29) the quad maintain altitude very good on its own.

The motors are iPower kv620 and one question is if I need higher rpm to improve altitude hold or whatelse could be done ?

Any suggestions please

/Bo

Stacky

When you are using the setup software is the altitude indicator moving on the screen as you lift the quad up and down?. Have you done a sensor test in the software?
Because you have the GPS board the barometric sensor should be protected well from the sun but do you have a cover over the boards to stop sunlight hitting the boards?. All barometric sensors are sensitive to sunlight. Have you been through setting the AH gain as per the Hoverfly instructions? https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201628156-New-Altitude-Hold-v4-8-and-above

Stacky

I didn't think HF pro had AH gain settings any more. It's make sure it is covered with open cell foam.

I thought that as well but in their help desk info link I provided they mention it and its for 4.8 and above. I wonder if that info is wrong?

blagerst

Thank you both for answering.
I have been thru all tests and settings and sensor seems to be working as I can see in the seutp.
The boards are covered in a plastic box but with transparent top in order to see GPS-LED.
The baromeric sensor is located on bottom board and also covered with dark open foam.
I also tested different altitude gain values but I see no difference so I was under imression it's auomatic somehow.

So you do not think motors are too weak?

econfly

A good way to know if the motor/prop/battery system is appropriately sized is to fly in manual mode with linear throttle curve (no expo) and note the amount of throttle needed to hover along with the responsiveness of that hover to small throttle movements. If you are hovering at throttle values significantly over 50-60% or if you need large stick input to ascend from hover then your system is underpowered. If, on the other hand, you can hover in manual flight near mid-stick and you find it easy to ascend/descend with modest throttle movements then the power is sufficient. It is possible to be over-powered as well. If the hover is extremely sensitive to small throttle input (regardless of throttle needed to hover) then the FC may be fighting that sensitivity. In sum, if you find the system to be reasonably responsive and easy to hover in manual mode then the FC should be able to stick a hovering position.

Last edited by a moderator:

Avidom Mena

The imitation of the remote control helicopter is difficult to see the difference from the appearance and packaging, so it's best to large super market to buy, if you buy on the net, it is best to trust the professional mall shopping.
rctophobby world