6S on F450-size quad

jotto

Is anyone running 6S batteries on a F450-sized quad? What motors and ESCs are recommended?

I'd like to share my 6S 3300 mAh packs with my helicopter.

wolph42

6S means low KV motor somewhere < 300. Low KV motor with 6S means big *** props 17"+ which won't fit on on your frame. Largest prop you can carry is 12" which typically go with 750(ish)KV motors and 4S batteries.
Those are guidelines, which is not to say that you can't get it to work, but too high KV motors might burn up with such a battery, so if you can find them you can give it a shot in ecalc to see how it works out.

jotto

We do, we manufacture kits to make it all happen...... at this point with certain batteries were getting 52 minute flights...... the 3300 would work but there a little different and would just have shorter flights. it aint cheap though....

http://www.klonerbuilt.com/piwigo/index.php?/category/22

Yeah, I've seen the klonerbuilt discos. Cool stuff! Actually I have a disco :)

I don't really mind the price, but I'd like to avoid extending the arms. I like the compact form factor of the disco.

kloner

Aerial DP
there is no 6s motor that'll do what your asking..... stretch the arms or keep it 4s.... the same arms fit the 450-550, can be trimmed to lengths you need..... if you need 12" prop you can chop 3.5" of the 13" off the carbon tube....

this is the kit with 7.5" arms and 9" props, 1" shorter than a stock form factor
20140109105536-01e77767-la.jpg

kloner

Aerial DP
the big hot rod at 4s size for stability and speed is t-motor 2814 1100kv.... there in stock at alot of stores now and are money!!!! the red ones there are 1000kv and this thing is fast...

look at 3:50...

Last edited by a moderator:

jotto

Just a thought: wouldn't it be possible to use a 6S motor with a higher KV and smaller propellers?

kloner

Aerial DP
is there any? you need to be in and around 8000rpm for 15", 15,000rpm for 9" props.... your voltage times motor kv = max rpm.....

we use 400kv on 22 volts, 1000kv on 14 volts......

when you go the small fast props with higher disk loading you burn alot of power but it's stable as heck..... most motors have a max voltage

Look at the DJI Propulsion system owners thread as they have some great examples on there from Dr. Turbo! He said that with the E600 and a 6S battery you can push 30+ minutes with a fully laoded down quad (all DJI's knick knacks). That runs the 400kv system, 12 inch props, and 6S battery. Guys are having some great results with those, so it's def possible.