Dji A2.....ready to give up I reckon!

Glennyboy

I finished my build 2 months ago, Ive had a few teething problems but ironed them out slowly but this GPS loss is just bugging the hell out me.....goes from 14 satellites to 0, with 3 red flashes on led, normally have to land and reset, on this video I had the pleasure of the sats returning to 14 again mid flight!

Since my maiden flight ive always had this problem, Ive moved the gps puck but still happens...even tried it on the arm.

The box is just to add weight I know it looks weird and in this video Im flying aggressively on purpose.

If anyone has any ideas or solutions i would be greatfull!

FC dji a2 (firmware up to date on all parts)
esc maytech 40a opto
frame t1000
motors TIGER MT3515/15
Transmitter Futaba t14sg
Dji iosd mk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

rilot

Are you absolutely certain that both parts of the GPS firmware are up to date? It caught a few of us out. Click the GPS in Assistant and take a look.

Tahoe Ed

I agree with rilot. However, if the firmware is current then I would contact your dealer for a replacement GPS.

Glennyboy

View attachment 17690View attachment 17691View attachment 17692View attachment 17693View attachment 17694

OK I have contacted my dealer and i was told they would have to send it back, before I go down this route i thought it would be worth my time fitting the A2 (along with the iosd mk2) to my F550 frame, I counted 21 flights without any problems at all, from this Im assuming the problem isnt with the A2 at all, saying that I powered the A2 with a 4s lipo, the octo is powered with 6s, maybe it could be a problem with the voltage regulator in the A2?
so...I fitted the A2 back on my original octo frame.....within 30 secs of flight the A2 dropped all sats and back to square one aaarrrggghhh!

so if you guys would kindly check out the attched pics and see if Im doing something wrong then i would be greatfull.

The only difference between my octo and the f550 is....ESC's...Motors....frame (obviously) power distribution board....and batteries.

other than buying different esc's i just dont know what to do!!

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 230

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Personally, I would look at moving the GPS to a more central position or at least further along the boom towards the center. This will help reduce the effect of magnetic imbalance due to being closer to one motor rather than the others (I know GPS is not affected by magnetism but perhaps the whole sensor is being affected) and also it might reduce the amplitude of vibrations by having the GPS nearer to the boom's clamping point. These may or may not have any effect but worth a try I would have thought.

Glennyboy

Personally, I would look at moving the GPS to a more central position or at least further along the boom towards the center. This will help reduce the effect of magnetic imbalance due to being closer to one motor rather than the others (I know GPS is not affected by magnetism but perhaps the whole sensor is being affected) and also it might reduce the amplitude of vibrations by having the GPS nearer to the boom's clamping point. These may or may not have any effect but worth a try I would have thought.

ive tried the gps puck everywhere...flat on the arm near the middle...front..back...everywhere!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
ive tried the gps puck everywhere...flat on the arm near the middle...front..back...everywhere!

glenn,

i don't love the way the wire comes out of the GPS puck into thin air and hangs from the strain relief fitting. also, the plug going into the side of the module on the arm has no support.

maybe you should power up the helicopter and let it get a good signal lock without the motors running and then just go through each joint and fitting in the wires until you get the GPS signal to fail like it's doing in flight. i'd guess the failure is coming from something that isn't maintaining good contact throughout the flight.

Glennyboy

glenn,

i don't love the way the wire comes out of the GPS puck into thin air and hangs from the strain relief fitting. also, the plug going into the side of the module on the arm has no support.

maybe you should power up the helicopter and let it get a good signal lock without the motors running and then just go through each joint and fitting in the wires until you get the GPS signal to fail like it's doing in flight. i'd guess the failure is coming from something that isn't maintaining good contact throughout the flight.

Ive done exactly that....push pulled each and every wire to try and make it lose connection.

This guy has had exactly the same problem http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2034469
He ended up having the A2 replaced and cured all probs!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
maybe there's a bad batch of units out there and it isn't just luck of the draw for buyers? it would be nice if we could isolate a particular production run by serial numbers or something and try to pick out which ones are prone to fail.

with all of this being documented on the internet it's going to be an easy task for a lawyer to put together a negligence case against DJI when someone eventually gets very hurt.

Can you post your serial number? Maybe Droider can too? Anyone else with the same problem care to post your serial numbers and we can look to see if there's a pattern amongst them? Maybe this should be a new thread?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
EVENTUALLY people experiencing exactly what I was posting about and banging on and on about since last September but I just gave up trying to tell people because I was being labelled a pain in DJI's arse.

Theres is something MAJOR going on at DJI. There is NO stock of anything in the UK. Dealers have hundreds of thousands of pounds out waiting for stock but nothing is coming through. My GPS has been gone 4 weeks now with nothing coming back. Dealers dont keep spares so its a reet pain in the butt. I just wish I had sent all mine back rather than trust DJI to sort out the issues and stand up and admit publicly there is a problem and they are spending every waking hour working on a solution. IF that solution is to recall then so be it.

A2 #1
MC 01R0023613
IMU 0210020235
GPS 01T0023617

A2 #2
MC 01R0023700
IMU 0210020108
GPS 01T0023727

Glennyboy

this afternoon i took off the props, placed it in the garden, waited till all sats, started the motors full power and literally ragged every cable i could find...banged and tapped everything but never flinched.

Ive just moved the puck somewhere ive not tried before.....inbetween the batteries about 10 cm above them...this actually puts the puck in the sameplace as the s1000 so the x/y coordinates are 0/0, because i have no weight cog is 1 cm above smack bang in the middle.

with this ive just been out and flown 2 batteries with no probs at all....most flights ive had without losing gps is 4 so crossed fingers.

Droider can you not get GPS at all or is it losing gps while in the air?

gps module 01T0023199
imu 0210020207
main controller 01R0023865

SmithyFpv

@Glennyboy I too am having the exact same problem on my S800 Evo and its driving me mad along with some hairy moments, have you found a fix yet or a solution to your problem? I generally ****ting myself thinking the thing will just flip and crash if i continue to fly when its reading no satellites? I have a pretty important shoot which involves flying over water on thursday and i really need to be sure this wont effect it in flight as long as i fly ATTI or manual.

econfly

Theres is something MAJOR going on at DJI. There is NO stock of anything in the UK. Dealers have hundreds of thousands of pounds out waiting for stock but nothing is coming through. My GPS has been gone 4 weeks now with nothing coming back. Dealers dont keep spares so its a reet pain in the butt. I just wish I had sent all mine back rather than trust DJI to sort out the issues and stand up and admit publicly there is a problem and they are spending every waking hour working on a solution. IF that solution is to recall then so be it.

I think you may be right. Just take something like a Zenmuse NEX or an S800 Evo. Lots of large dealers are out of stock. Why? These are relatively mature items, so what's the issue? It seems like DJI does a production run, produces minimal or no spare parts, then moves on to the next thing. They seem very averse to having any inventory that might not sell -- and way more focused on the headline new product than on parts, support, etc. I don't mean to take anything away from DJI. The reason they get so much attention is that they are leading in many ways and producing things people want.

Maybe this is a dealer issue too. I don't know what DJI's returned stock policy is, but say they stick dealers with all unsold inventory. Then dealers may be very cautious about ordering, that feeds into DJI's production, etc. Who knows. In an environment like we have now with massively fast innovation, new products every month, products having lives measured in months, etc., I can imagine that inventory, planning, production, development -- all of it -- face serious challenges and odd incentives.