Twitchy motor

GimpyGeek

I just finished the build of my first RC multirotor (thanks to all of you who were so helpful on my battery questions). It is a stock DJI F550 with their motors, esc's, Naza V2 and a Futaba T8C radio receiver combo.
After I finished the configuration of the Naza and Futaba, I fired up the copter to hear it sing. I didn't even lift off the ground, just played with the sticks a little to see that everything was spinning correctly. About the third time I turned it on, motor number 6 just kinda twitched back and forth and didn't spin up, so I unplugged the ESC and replugged it. No change, so I switched two of the bullet connectors on the motor side. That got it spinning but in the wrong rotation, so I switched another two wires and got it spinning in the right direction. I stopped and started it a few times, and again motor 6 just started twitching.
I am planning on swapping motor 1 and 6 to see if I can determine if it's the motor, but it's a bit late so that will have to wait till tomorrow.
Just wondering if anyone here has seen this kind of thing before and can point me in the right direction.
Thanks

soler

Hi,

I had a similar problem when I first started and used the screws from the DJI550 to mont the motors on a carbon plate of a tarot 680. The screws were too long and shorted out the motor windings, however one this started I could never get them to work again they just twitted back and forth.

kloner

Aerial DP
the bolt goes up in there and breaks one of your wires...... if there is no intrusion into the stator, the esc is crap or the bullets(most likely) are coated in rosin, you can't see it, but it insulates metal........ this is the motor to esc connection, well known problem with dji producs...... that rosin boils over on the assembly line and creates a coating that isn't wipe off able,,,, it has to be sanded, scraped, whatever...

GimpyGeek

So, I sanded down the contacts on the motor leads and that worked. All engines firing properly now.
Thanks for the tip kloner!