Recommend a charging station for me!

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I don.t get you, this is just a power supply and a charger in a box?

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/RSP-1000-48/?qs=Xb8IjHhkxj5mmeT6EC3r2w==
http://electriflyer.co.uk/icharger-4010-duo/

You could easily pick a nice cheap case up at CPC Farnell to put them into for £30- £50 and it looks to me that the power supplyis 48V only, no way of turning it down unless I am missing something, the other power supplies you get to set whatever voltage you want.
The fan is probably just a simple PC fan that you can pick up for a couple of quid.

The ProgressiveRC one is £600. The parts you just quoted are the same price, but that's individual items plus the messing around getting it all to fit.

deluge2

Fwiw, last summer, as soon as I saw 6s 5,000 to 10,000 mAh Lipos in my future, I purchased the 4010 Duo and the Junsi 1200W 50A Adjustable Power Supply with PFC. This PS offers high efficiency and is generator friendly for field charging. I've been quite happy, though there have been some issues with discharge capacity that now have been largely addressed by firmware updates. There's an active thread on the 4010 and 308 Duos on RCGroups, with posts from Junsi and links to firmware and User Manual updates. I rarely look back on a purchase and regret excess capacity, so I went with the 4010 as a charger that I would not soon outgrow.

Steve

kloner

Aerial DP
2 1/2 years ago i got into 12s 700+ size scale srh..... all the 3d guys at the time was all i had to run off of so we all did these....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-De...=US_Server_Power_Supplies&hash=item485dce063e

took and placed plastic washers and screws between the board & case to float the ground..... then wired em in series for 24 volts...... I charge off the worst generators, 5-8 hours a gig that thing is wide open not to mention getting ready at home to go this thing has ran weeks if not months worth of time..... Have $30 ish in the power supplies, $4 in the screws, $40 in the case, charger is $159, fma parallel board $65.... a day with some scrap wood and foam....

but i am going to make my company get me a couple of them 4010 soon.....

Mojave

I do love the ProgressiveRC kit that kloner first mentioned. Great price too. It's just the shipping to the UK that makes me hesitate.

As with all big purchases I'm going to sit on it for two weeks and see what my subconscious decides. I am heavily leaning towards the ProgressiveRC one as it's an all in one case design, and the components are the highest spec I can find. I can't find anything to match it in the UK. I assume the power supply will run happily on a UK domestic supply (240V)? Maybe just a new plug.

Cheers lads!

I have been looking at one of these combinations for 6S batteries. Robin Wilkes, General Manager, ProgressiveRC has been quite responsive to my queries (and may have some thoughts about shipping to the UK). I think I will be getting a 1500 watt PS with the 308Duo. It is a lot of money but I am hoping it will last and the Mean Well RSP-1500-24 PS should work with generators when it comes to that. These kits are more than just a Case, PS, and a charger.

Lanzar

Hey chaps,

It's about time for me to update my charging equipment. I'm looking for the ability to balance charge 10x 6S lipos at the same time. I would like a top of the range type charger if possible as it will no doubt be with me forever (well, as long as we still fly lipos on multis!).

Name your suggestions......

Hello,

THERE IS NO LIPO CHARGER TOBALANC CHARGE 10 bateries. And dont charge them in paralel or any extension board since you Will shorten the life off the battery.
4010 x2 with some big power supply and you are good to go. Charge with 1c rating and storage them always when not used.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Thanks Lanzar,

That's the conclusion I came to also. I always balance charge and have never charged at more than 1C. It would just be nice to have the option of fast charging for on-the-job charging. At the moment I just simply have many, many lipos on hand.

At £100 a lipo you can be sure I'll look after them! :nevreness:

jfro

Aerial Fun
2 1/2 years ago i got into 12s 700+ size scale srh..... all the 3d guys at the time was all i had to run off of so we all did these....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-De...=US_Server_Power_Supplies&hash=item485dce063e

took and placed plastic washers and screws between the board & case to float the ground..... then wired em in series for 24 volts...... I charge off the worst generators, 5-8 hours a gig that thing is wide open not to mention getting ready at home to go this thing has ran weeks if not months worth of time..... Have $30 ish in the power supplies, $4 in the screws, $40 in the case, charger is $159, fma parallel board $65.... a day with some scrap wood and foam....

but i am going to make my company get me a couple of them 4010 soon.....

Wish I hadn't read this thread, now I'm looking to lighten my wallet with the 308 duo.

Last winter I read up on using server power but have been hesitant in trying it as there are some "gotcha" comments by some people.

Kloner, would you give a more detailed explanation of how you connected them. For instance, "plastic washer and screws between the board & case". What board? Do you mean the power supply & $40 case you bought? Some other board?

Wire in parallel? Do you mean you just connected the + from ps 1 to + on ps2 and then ran that + lead to your charger and then did the same for the negative pole?

When you are done, do you have 12v 1500w system power supply? How many amps does this provide to your balanced charger?

Sorry for the simple questions, but I'm hesitant when it comes to these converted power supplies. It seems I've read about some grounding issues when you put 2 server power supplies in parallel. Just makes me nervous. Like the sport but don't want to die or burn down the house charging batteries.

kloner

Aerial DP
Kloner, would you give a more detailed explanation of how you connected them. For instance, "plastic washer and screws between the board & case". What board? Do you mean the power supply & $40 case you bought? Some other board?

No, you open up the power supply, detach the pcb inside and get the case you unscrewed it from isolated from the pcb. they use metal screws and washers and it grounds it, you un do that..... otherwise the two ps can arc when they touch. Called floating ground....they just lay in the bottom of a plastic pelican case, theres a wood top. i had pics but sold the biz the server was holding the pics...

Wire in parallel? Do you mean you just connected the + from ps 1 to + on ps2 and then ran that + lead to your charger and then did the same for the negative pole?

mine has a parrallel charging board, does 6 packs balance charge at a time..... from my power supply to my charger there is two 12volt power supplys wired in series to bump up to 24 volts, like a car battery, in the positive out the negative to teh positive of a second pack. now you have a positive on one supply, negative from another supply,,,,

When you are done, do you have 12v 1500w system power supply? How many amps does this provide to your balanced charger?

Yes, after all the loss in the system, 200 watts is in running the thing, 1000 goes to the charger at thirty amps (we only run that on real generators) and still have a couple hundred spare watts for over head.... surges, etc. my power supplys blow hot air running but they just keep on keepin on.... thought i'd be lucky to get a year out of them as a hobby....

I haven't burned mine down yet.... and i kinda try

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
V V V happy with my 4010duos and the ESP120 PSUs I picked up off eBay for not a lot. They have been worked to death this year with out a single hitch. They are superb. Much easier to use than the Powerlab 8 and a better charger all round in my opinion but I haven't seen the latest Powerlab so am going to google that now.....

jfro

Aerial Fun

No, you open up the power supply, detach the pcb inside and get the case you unscrewed it from isolated from the pcb. they use metal screws and washers and it grounds it, you un do that..... otherwise the two ps can arc when they touch. Called floating ground....they just lay in the bottom of a plastic pelican case, theres a wood top. i had pics but sold the biz the server was holding the pics...

mine has a parrallel charging board, does 6 packs balance charge at a time..... from my power supply to my charger there is two 12volt power supplys wired in series to bump up to 24 volts, like a car battery, in the positive out the negative to teh positive of a second pack. now you have a positive on one supply, negative from another supply,,,,

Yes, after all the loss in the system, 200 watts is in running the thing, 1000 goes to the charger at thirty amps (we only run that on real generators) and still have a couple hundred spare watts for over head.... surges, etc. my power supplys blow hot air running but they just keep on keepin on.... thought i'd be lucky to get a year out of them as a hobby....

I haven't burned mine down yet.... and i kinda try

Did you do anything for off/on switch ?
Thanks for the info on the conversion.

I was looking at the Duo 4010 a couple of weeks ago but did not see how to power it.
Do you need 2000w PSU to use it to fully ?
or will i be ok with a 1000w PSU ?

Thanks for the help

Mojave

I was looking at the Duo 4010 a couple of weeks ago but did not see how to power it.

Thanks for the help

To use it to its full potential most combo kits supply a 2000 watt PS. I depends a lot on what you want to do now and the future. If you want to use it to its full potential now 1000 would be under powering it.

Quinton

Thanks for the help

You can use any power supply you want, as long as it is capable of between 9-50V output.
The problem is that your power supply will always be a bottle neck.

You can actually plug 2 or 3 chargers into a good power supply at the same time, and charge 4-6 lipos if you wanted.

It really does depend what you will be charging, as an example I have a 600W power supply and that is capable of charging 2x 10.4A lipos at the same time @ 1C
Thats it almost at its maximum, (even if the charger can charge at a higher rate) so putting 2 or 3 more chargers into it simply would not work as its too under powered.

Now if you are going to connect the charger to a large 24V battery out in the field, this would be completely different.
Your electric power supply will always be a bottleneck, unless you are stringing 4 of them together which for me personally I would not do, as I am not experienced enough, and it would simply be too dangerous "for me anyhow".

Last edited by a moderator: