Hoverfly Hoverfly GPS is much better now

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi everyone,

I've had a chance to install and test fly an upgrade to the Hoverfly GPS and have found encouragement in the results!

I'll try to write it up this week but it's basically a LEA-6 GPS antenna upgrade along with a beta GPS/PRO firmware install. There wasn't much wind by me today but even at that it was better than what I've seen in the past.

Flying was as smooth as ever.

Stay tuned!
Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Thanks for the post Bart. I have an LEA6 antenna I bought anticipating the upgrade. My interest in HoverFly has waned so much, frankly, I had given up on them. Maybe it'll be worth a look.

Bartman

Hi guys,

I flew it again today and was going to make a more formal report but if I can get this done here and now I'm all for it. :)

It was windy today which is what I was waiting for to make a more informed report. It was probably blowing 12 to 15 with gusts to 20. Using position hold it held its position very well. The gusts would knock it off position, maybe twelve to fifteen feet from its "spot" but it would fight its way back and resume holding its spot pretty well. Much better than before.

Using "Return to Home" it made steady progress back to the point where it first got a satellite fix. I tried it from an upwind position, crosswind, and then a downwind position about 50 yards away and each time it got home pretty well. It didn't race back, it didn't crawl back, it was a nice comfortable pace. The wind was gusting when it was doing RTH from the downwind position and it took some time for it to fight its way back but it did it. From the crosswind position it was blown downwind as it was flying home with the crosswind so the final return path was L shaped but it did it.

A couple of notes;
  • the modified Hoverfly PRO/GPS system is using the new LEA6 GPS antenna from 3DR, https://store.3drobotics.com/products/3dr-gps-ublox-with-compass
  • install the new antenna with the white arrow pointing forward and the square GPS receiver facing UP. the GPS board will automatically adjust for declination so there's no need to point the antenna anywhere other than straight forward.
  • a firmware update is required for both the PRO and the GPS (I think it was called ubloxBeta or something like that), both firmware updates are considered "Beta" to be used at your own risk (as is this review)
  • the HF PRO/GPS isn't using the magnetometer that is resident on the new GPS antenna so if you haven't done the external-mag modification, and if your wiring isn't very clean allowing for magnetic interference then you might still have issues with the HF GPS performance ( I still have some HF GPS mounting kits available that lift the GPS board 2" off the PRO board to help minimize interference from the surrounding electrical environment, it's an option instead of going the external-mag route)
  • compass calibration needs to be redone after doing the mod and installing the Beta firmware
  • the process of trimming and then setting the trim into the PRO (I forget what the procedure was referred to) needs to be done and done well. if the heli isn't trimmed just right then the non-centered heli will fight against the efforts of the GPS to hold position making it appear as it the GPS is at fault.
  • in the photos below you'll notice the red wire from the GPS was clipped and there are two wires going to the ground position on the new antenna

What impressed me most was that the position hold was a smooth effort. The heli wasn't rapidly and aggressively twitching to hold it spot, it did it in a way that seemed well thought out, determined, and with control. I plan to use the same heli to go shoot a commercial building tomorrow and will be using the Position Hold feature to help fly the heli so I can be in the goggles when I need to to set up the camera. I haven't been able to do this with this heli before now because the GPS was so prone to wandering and making sudden and drastic control inputs.

Overall it's a good update if you ask me. It's not like a NAZA on a calm day but a NAZA would have been upside down in the weeds today with the winds blowing as they were. Give feel free to give it a try and please chime in if you have any questions or other details to add.

View attachment 16874View attachment 16875View attachment 16876

Bart

Attachments

• DSC08287.jpg
    DSC08287.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC08286.jpg
    DSC08286.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 409
  • LEA-6 pinout.jpg
    LEA-6 pinout.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 367

Bartman

I wonder how it compares to my SuperX? ;)

well, if you look at your SuperX and say to yourself that you can't imagine a heli flying any smoother, then your SUperX is probably comparable to how the Hoverfly PRO flies. THe GPS is much better now but hanging around in Position HOld isn't exactly a pro-user maneuver, it's more of a convenience between moves with RTH being a convenient way to get things back within sight or back to the landing spot without a lot of thought.

Even if the future of Hoverfly remains uncertain, at least we have an improved GPS add-on that improves the overall utility of these existing systems. The PRO has been so reliable it's hard to give it up!

Bart

Bartman

I asked Al today about the nature of the GPS position hold and if it's dynamic like Mikrokopter, NAZA, and others. He said it is and that the craft will hold the position it's in 1.5 seconds after the sticks are released to neutral. Taking this into consideration it might be a good idea to position the heli a bit upwind of the actual position you want and then watch for a few seconds after neutralizing the sticks to see where the helicopter settles in at. I should ask him how long the sticks have to be away from center to cause a reset of the position.

Aerovideo

well, if you look at your SuperX and say to yourself that you can't imagine a heli flying any smoother, then your SUperX is probably comparable to how the Hoverfly PRO flies. THe GPS is much better now but hanging around in Position HOld isn't exactly a pro-user maneuver, it's more of a convenience between moves with RTH being a convenient way to get things back within sight or back to the landing spot without a lot of thought.

Even if the future of Hoverfly remains uncertain, at least we have an improved GPS add-on that improves the overall utility of these existing systems. The PRO has been so reliable it's hard to give it up!

Bart

Bart, I'm not sure if you recall but if you look back at my earlier Hoverfly Posts, I was a HUGE Hoverfly Fanboy. I know nothing flies as well as a Hoverfly Pro in manual mode. My best videos are with the Hoverfly Pro in manual mode... Unfortunately, that's all it does. :(

Good to see there is some progress. Unfortunately, they were way ahead of the curve and now they are wayyyyyy behind :(

Bartman

i'm not trying to make a lot of new sales for Hoverfly, just trying to improve functionality for all of the units that are out there. the PRO boards are still very reliable and very competent controllers so getting even a little bit more from the GPS is worthwhile for those of us still using them.

i understand the attraction of the other systems and some of the features they offer but they're not all must-haves for some of the work we do with them. as a forums owner and community member I like to see people do well and I don't really have an interest in any one system doing better than any others. i just wish any one system had everything!

bart

CX4

Bart, where can I find that beta GPS/PRO firmware?
Hi everyone,

I've had a chance to install and test fly an upgrade to the Hoverfly GPS and have found encouragement in the results!

I'll try to write it up this week but it's basically a LEA-6 GPS antenna upgrade along with a beta GPS/PRO firmware install. There wasn't much wind by me today but even at that it was better than what I've seen in the past.

Flying was as smooth as ever.

Stay tuned!
Bart

Aerovideo

I was really pulling for Hoverfly since they were designed and manufactured here in the USA, that really is important to me. Unfortunately, they've all but disappeared near as I can tell. Glad to see you have some pull with them still to test some updates.

Bartman

Bart, where can I find that beta GPS/PRO firmware?

when you use the firmware updater you'll find the ublox Beta in the drop down list during the firmware updating process.

don't forget to do the PRO and the GPS boards with the same ublox beta firmware version

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
My first controller was from Xaircraft and it bombed on me mid flight. I then went to DJI and wasnt overly thrilled though it was the best I had up to that point. Then I went Hoverfly pro and was so happy there was a superior USA made unit that was bullet proof and dead reliable. But their inability to beautify the product with enclosures, function status leds, working gps, etc just killed it for me as well as so many others. I might still use the board in the future as I trust it. But the fact that they dont support or push their own line of products forward is a bad sign. Then you see them market a horribly unstable servo based gimbal...??? And after all this i am thinking of trying the SuperX! Funny how things change. One thing is for sure though, no matter how well the Chinese can program, I will NEVER trust their QC and manufacturing regulations. I've had 3 DJI usb ports pull off the circuit board from lightly pulling the usb cord out! China is all about mass volume. So I dont doubt that DJI successfully tests their units and has great software engineers. But I am guessing that a good 10-20% of their product are lemons. So if Bart is going to be the only one trying to make this work, something aint right with this company.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I still have my HFP Black board. It was a replacement for my original board that went bad that I haven't been able to get working properly, although I've only tried it 2 times. It launches and then the yaw starts on it's own. I've held onto it with the hope that some improvements might be made or maybe GPS would start working and be available at a low price. I flying a Naza V2, with GPS & X Aircraft I also have a PixHawk which isn't on a test quad yet. I have motors and frame for a 4th MR, so may try the HFP as a quad n hopes I can get it working again.

So far, I don't have anything that flew as nicely as the HFP on my XY8 or X8. But, with the ATT mode and GPS mode on the XAircraft and Naza, I fly with less stress as I know I can flip a switch and with GPS hold, I have a little extra time to think my may out of a problem. ATT mode is also a less stressful mode to fly in.

Here's hoping for some more improvements on the HFP Black. Not counting on it, but sure would be a pleasant surprise.

mspencer1

I happened to have an extra Lea 6 Ublox GPS laying around. I did the modification on my large Octo. In 10mph winds it was holding in a 20 foot circle. Not bad. It does drift around still but at least its not a 40 foot circle as it has flown before. It does help.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I happened to have an extra Lea 6 Ublox GPS laying around. I did the modification on my large Octo. In 10mph winds it was holding in a 20 foot circle. Not bad. It does drift around still but at least its not a 40 foot circle as it has flown before. It does help.

I believe my GPS on my Pixhawk is the Lea 6 Ubox. If so, can I just plug it into my Hoverfly Pro and use it or is their something more hardware or software I have to buy?

mspencer1

All you have to do is load the ublox beta test firmware for both the HFP and GPS boards. Keep in mind my GPS performance prior to upgrade was a 40 foot circle. So it cut it in half for me.