Naza v2 malfunction [open ocean crash vid]

yeehaanow

Im not saying it was pilot error or not, but a big factor could've also been the turbulence created by the wind curling around that rig. Since it didn't really go nuts until you get lower and towards the back side, my bet is that is your main cause. I have flown my big octo on top of a relatively clear mountain and seen it get spun 180 degrees from a turbulent gust when I was 15 ft off the ground.

The sound of it seems to indicate that the wind is quite high, i would guess significantly more than 10.

Another potential cause is if this is a floating rig, when you initialize the gyros and they are moving, then it could've caused drift in the flight controller, which wouldn't necessarily rear its ugly head right away.

A lot of options, and you'll never know for sure, but I'm guessing you won't fly in that situation again.

pangloss

Yeah it was a stationary rig. The quad isn't flipped by wind, but by catching on a cable, it slowly drifts back and hits the cable. Yeah if the met reports 10, it could be higher 60ft off the ground at sea, they measure on mabul island. It not only spins but completely stops compensation. I had never seen the compass error before, I had to look it up, but I had worried about the structure, though when I was able to calibrate and lift off without a problem I went back into thinking all is fine :) I lifted off from right there on the metal deck where I am standing.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
>>People like you give us serious guys a bad name, PILOT ERROR and nothing else.
I don't understand why you keep trolling this thread repeating the same stuff, we get it: it's poor judgement to fly a computer controlled aircraft in the middle of the ocean. I am a terrible person who gives the entire hobby a bad name.

Don't feel the need to focus your energies here, there are surely hundreds of other people on the internet to set straight.

While as you say, I may make the entire hobby look bad (flair for the dramatic?), you sir make posting experiences on this forum *awesome*. thumbs up.

Just looked at the weather data for that day on met.gov.my, winds 7-10mph (which is actually within your 'envelope' if I read your previous thread correctly) :highly_amused:

Funny how you don't want me to "troll" this thread yet you still entice me to reply.

All I can say regarding my envelope is that all of my copters did not go for a swim, and if you cared to read you would notice I was referring to more then just wind on your comment. Ferros structure being one of them, you not being able to operate your craft in manual mode and relying on GPS alone. Your GPS Failed for obvious reasons and you feel calling out a hardware failure will justify your incompetence.

End of story. You can paint a turd any color you wish, at the end of the day it's still a turd.

Have a nice day.

yeehaanow

Sorry, I forgot you mentioned that it hit the wire, although the sound of it doesn't come until after you have already flipped, IMO due to turbulence, and if you listen carefully to the wind noise it does die down as you go lower. Another factor could've been solar activity affecting the GPS?? maybe...

Looking at your body language, it looks like you're pulling back, which is definitely the wrong move at that moment, but understandable when it happens so fast. Unless you are a skilled 3D pilot that is a tough situation to get out of.

All in all, you'll chalk this up to experience and probably not fly in those conditions again. :)

WasiGood

Hmm looks like to much gain to me I have had the sane problem minus the water landing. Flies normally the when in a strong wind it starts to oscillate violently and go out of control

Fat Corgi

My 550 hit the drink yesterday. Missed the low voltage alarm, and only noticed the flashing red light at the last minute. Almost got it back to shore, but it ditched in about 1/2ft of salt water. Wasn't in the water for more than 20 seconds, but that was enough to loose everything. Gopro, Naza, 4 ESC's and 4 Motors, plus the RX. Devastated! Will have to reassess the low voltage settings in the new Naza I've just ordered. So Yeehaanow, don't feel bad that it took you so long to get to your bird. 20 seconds was all it took to destroy mine.
Hope you're back in the air soon.

pangloss

Hey Corgi,

After replacing my motors and ESCs, everything works fine! I put it in a solution of vinegar and then thoroughly dried everything (the day it happened). I just flew it a week ago, amazed that everything works fine. And mine was very deep for over 15 min.