Aeronavics / Droidworx Skyjib Ti 8 or x4

jjon667

SO what do you guys think? Skyjib 8 v2 ti or Skyjib x4Ti and why. Performance wise that is. Will be using DJI a2 lifting up to 5D MkIII possibly red in the future but for now up to 5D

Thanks!
Jon

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Really depends on what you are going to be shooting, and I guess your location and your transport. In the UK I would go go for X4 every time. I would rather sacrifice some efficiency for transportability and usability over a wide range of flying conditions. If you are in sunny california with a monster truck and have those blue sky california days then I guess you would go for a flat eight. As for flight controller mmm thats a very tricky matter. WKM for me every time over A2 but I guess others my disagree.

Dave

Quinton

SO what do you guys think? Skyjib 8 v2 ti or Skyjib x4Ti and why. Performance wise that is. Will be using DJI a2 lifting up to 5D MkIII possibly red in the future but for now up to 5D

Thanks!
Jon

6 of one, half dozen of the other.
Sorry :) ... depends really, they both do the same thing, one handles wind a bit better (maybe) and is a bit more inefficient (apparently).
The rest of the setup is very important also, what ESCs or motors you use.
I am very new here, but there is a lot more that needs answered.
(sorry did not see Droiders' post but you get the idea)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I'd go for the 8. If you have a gimbal like the Zen then the supposed extra stability theX4 gives you is irrelevant IMHO as the gimbal can more than handle the way the 8 handles in wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craigcski

I have a 8 with A2, 4014 t-motors, 65amp maytechs, 15" tiger props, and 12.5lbs payload. Gets the job done, but just barely. hover throttle position is around 65%

I've heard nothing but great things with a coax setup and the newly released U7 motors. I pulled the trigger for this new build: x4-qr with A2, U7 t-motors, castle 75amp edge lite's and 16" T-props. Might upgrade to 18" props later.

I believe this build is far superior then my 8. Better Stability, Compact, and can take heavier payloads. Running 18" t-props I could run 4 of my 10,000mah 6s lipos together and get almost double the flight time as my 8.

If you asked me this question months ago I would tell you go 8 but with new technology in my opinion x4 all the way. The 8 will now be my backup.

Hope this helps.

Quinton

I've heard nothing but great things with a coax setup and the newly released U7 motors. I pulled the trigger for this new build: x4-qr with A2, U7 t-motors, castle 75amp edge lite's and 16" T-props. Might upgrade to 18" props later.

I have been looking around for motors that can take bigger props, and it starts to get hard, once you go over 16" everything seems to get close to their limits.
18" props would bring it close to the 1180W max for that motor.

Also a thing to consider for others, does the props get in the picture when flying hard forward, as I have a SJ6 and I added 500mm booms and 16" props, and have only done a few flights with the Zen but when flying hard forward the props are seen sometimes
Not sure if this would happen with an x4
I have also been trying out different props like the T-Motor CF and the Xoars and although the Tiger Props have a lot more thrust they seem to be a lot more jittery (if that makes sense), so I have just ordered 16" Xoars to see how well they work with my MT3515-15 (similar to the new U5)
Im doing all this testing on a hex before I finally choose a machine to fly, but I believe that a x4 is the way to go.

Bluerex

+1 - wot Droider sed. :pig:
The coax is sooo much more portable than even an equivalent hex let alone a full octa (assuming same boom lengths etc)
Before you can fly, you need to get there. Something that fits in the boot of the Octavia fully assembled beats the hell out of folding booms and bolting stuff back together in a hurry.

Charles.

pj1967

i can fit my fully assembled Skyjib 8 into the Back of my 7 Seater Car no problem, but i do get the CollyWobbles driving around as i am worried the Reatracks wont take the stress with the slight Rocking back and Forth, but at the moment they are fine and i got someone building me a small Trestle to fit under the Boom Arms close to the Crash Cage, but altogether, My SkyJib 8 is a nice bit of Kit.
But as a Phrase goes, Different Horses for Different Courses.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
There is a lot of talk about coaxes being more stable in wind. Based on the experience of people claiming this, I have little doubt that this is true but purely for interest I wonder if there is any video of two similar specked aircraft tested side be side. It would be intriguing to see what the differences real are.

There is a lot of talk about coaxes being more stable in wind. Based on the experience of people claiming this, I have little doubt that this is true but purely for interest I wonder if there is any video of two similar specked aircraft tested side be side. It would be intriguing to see what the differences real are.

Good question and i would also like to see this video if anyone will make one ?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Horses for courses indeed.. Also ask yourself "WHAT DO I WANT IT FOR" and "DO I REALLY NEED A MACHINE THAT BIG".. My work horse is an ADX3, here see is coming home after a long long flight over the somerset floods.

When you are on the hoof moving from location to location, maybe 6 or 7 in a day putting in 20+ flights anything much bigger is a real pain. I have done it with my X4 which is bad enough but to do it with a big flat 8 would be a whole new ballgame IF you have not got your transport bob on. Yes you may well get a flat 8 in the back of a 7 seater BUT what about charging, other STUFF you just have to take with you, where does your crew and there wellies go!?

I have a Transporter fully kitted out but even this is not big enough as by the middle of the day its a pig sty as we are so busy charging, logging, downloading, flying, charging, logging, downloading, flying so to do all this with a big flat 8 would be a bloomin mare.

In a perfect world we will be flying from a beutiful location, deck chair out, cool box full of coke, babes mopping your sweating brow and a film crew and Director asking what you want to film next.. when does that ever happen?

On our last assignment for Panorama we flew 21 flights from 6 different locations from sunrise to sunset, wellies full of mud, van looking like it had done the lombard world rally on the outside and the inside looked like a hurd of wilder beast had been through it..

So the moral of the story here is.. think very carefully what you REALLY need a machine for and especially when you are up in the SJ world.

Dave

Horses for courses indeed.. Also ask yourself "WHAT DO I WANT IT FOR" and "DO I REALLY NEED A MACHINE THAT BIG".. My work horse is an ADX3, here see is coming home after a long long flight over the somerset floods.

When you are on the hoof moving from location to location, maybe 6 or 7 in a day putting in 20+ flights anything much bigger is a real pain. I have done it with my X4 which is bad enough but to do it with a big flat 8 would be a whole new ballgame IF you have not got your transport bob on. Yes you may well get a flat 8 in the back of a 7 seater BUT what about charging, other STUFF you just have to take with you, where does your crew and there wellies go!?

I have a Transporter fully kitted out but even this is not big enough as by the middle of the day its a pig sty as we are so busy charging, logging, downloading, flying, charging, logging, downloading, flying so to do all this with a big flat 8 would be a bloomin mare.

In a perfect world we will be flying from a beutiful location, deck chair out, cool box full of coke, babes mopping your sweating brow and a film crew and Director asking what you want to film next.. when does that ever happen?

On our last assignment for Panorama we flew 21 flights from 6 different locations from sunrise to sunset, wellies full of mud, van looking like it had done the lombard world rally on the outside and the inside looked like a hurd of wilder beast had been through it..

So the moral of the story here is.. think very carefully what you REALLY need a machine for and especially when you are up in the SJ world.

Dave

Some VERY wise words from Dave there. Our next rig will be SMALLER than our current workhorse. With cameras like the GH4 around the corner, the days spent flying a Red will be rarer. There is certainly a time and place for flying the Red and similar sized cams, but many producers aren't willing to cover the additional expense. For a day filled with location changes, a mid-sized rig, such as the one in Dave's video, is much easier to haul around.

SoCal Blur

Really depends on what you are going to be shooting, and I guess your location and your transport. In the UK I would go go for X4 every time. I would rather sacrifice some efficiency for transportability and usability over a wide range of flying conditions. If you are in sunny california with a monster truck and have those blue sky california days then I guess you would go for a flat eight. As for flight controller mmm thats a very tricky matter. WKM for me every time over A2 but I guess others my disagree.

Dave

Monster truck? I just strap the transmitter on the back of my Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle and put the Octo in "follow me" mode while lane splitting down the highway. :untroubled:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Some VERY wise words from Dave there. Our next rig will be SMALLER than our current workhorse. With cameras like the GH4 around the corner, the days spent flying a Red will be rarer. There is certainly a time and place for flying the Red and similar sized cams, but many producers aren't willing to cover the additional expense. For a day filled with location changes, a mid-sized rig, such as the one in Dave's video, is much easier to haul around.

Aye up ben 100% fast and furious can thappen with biguns..

Here is what I cut from 1 Days filming dawn till dusk

PASSWORD = floods

Its been edited from this version but have not had the connection to upload... why.. coz I am on the road again.. life and times of a MR pilot ah! maybe I should write a book!

Rentakill

Dave

I'm in the same position, very wise words...Thanks
The X4 seems to be the logical choice for me. Now to choose RTF or pay local UAV builder(very good).
Has anyone purchased the RTF kits from aeronavics.
Sorry not trying to hijack the thread, just jumping in on the same topic.

Thanks again

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye up ben 100% fast and furious can thappen with biguns..

Here is what I cut from 1 Days filming dawn till dusk

PASSWORD = floods

Its been edited from this version but have not had the connection to upload... why.. coz I am on the road again.. life and times of a MR pilot ah! maybe I should write a book!

NOT sure what video is not showing so here is the link - password = floods

https://vimeo.com/87038678

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I dont think Aeronavics are doing any for a while as they whee overrun with orders. Where about's are you on the planet?

Dave